Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to let you all know, that I will probably keep posting, but will no longer "describe" the how's, where's, etc... Like Snooksion posted, there are people on here that although I am sure a tiny minority, seem to toss etiquette aside when it comes to this whole "Treasure" thing... Just like fishing, if you start talking about what you caught, and where you caught it, next thing you know your "honey hole" is fished out... Case in point..
You all have read my posts of late, and the great success I have been having.. Since I have mentioned numerous times where I live, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to narrow things down with a little work.. I happened to be talking to one of the workers at the site I have been hunting, and he asked me "was that you I saw last night"... I mentioned that I had been there, but it was in the afternoon. He then told me that around 9pm he saw "two guys" in the water with headlamps on. I asked him what they were doing, thinking they may have been wade fishing for bass since the spawn is going on right now. "No", he replied, then said he saw one real good and that he had a "scoop like yours"...
Now I realize that I do not have any exclusive right to the area, and although I cant say for sure it has never been hunted before, the amount of finds I have been getting indicate that if it has, it has been far and few between... I also know that there are probably tons of people who never post, but read frequently to glean information. Anyway, the worker told me he yelled "you finding much" and the guys didnt answer, but soon after, he didnt see them anymore and they had turned their lights off..
Of course, I had to tell him it wasnt me.

So the point of this rant is two-fold.. First, as stated, I will probably be simply posting my finds and nothing more. So please dont ask for particulars, even whether it was in salt or fresh, depth, etc.. For those of you who "know" me pretty well, I will be more than happy to "talk" hunting via email etc.. But I dont bust my butt investigating and searching for new spots simply for some rude and lazy people to use my work to make it easy for themselves. If I happen to run into those people, or if you are reading this, I will say "SHAME ON YOU"... To all others, sorry for the angry post, and happy hunting...
Lastly, the silver is cleaning up well (thanks Lorraine), and I will post pics from the last two hunts and before/after pics soon. I have been so busy with appointments, getting ready for Friday's surgery, that I just havent been able to get the pic's done. I will though, I promise..

Upvote 0

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't blame you, one bit. Been there done that, many of the "lurkers" are lurking for one reason and it is sure not for sportsmanship, as you have discovered. I won't even comment about the night hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of guys that like to hunt at night just as there are fisherman that like to do it too. But usually guys that detect at night are up to no good as they might be hunting where they don't have permission. In the state parks in many states it is against the law to be on the beach at night and in most cities for liability reasons. I can totally understand never telling where, when or how you found your stuff or even show a pic of it. I don't ask and I don't tell except to closest friends.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
It is bound to happen. I had a guy hunting private property that I had permission to hunt on!! I know I'm lots more careful now about my pics and posts.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Re: Wow, first Snooksion, now me??? This will probably get deleted.:(

I don't blame you SS. I may not post much here but that is partly due to the fact that it's winter and partly because I don't have much to post. So I stand back and lurk and slobber all over my keyboard at yours and snookison and the rest of the TNet members pics. But what really pisses me off is the fact that the useless S.O.B's have ruined it for the rest of us and the new hunters that come here and are full of questions about how,when where and why. My self it is sad I know but I get a thrill looking at your finds from down south LOL why because here in the U.P. what you see 18kt and such there I would be lucky to see it here.
So for you useless asses out there reading this and calling other hunters on their finds about how they bought, taken them out their wife's jewelry box and so on, if you would get off your asses do your research put in your time you might find something.
For the TNet family Happy Hunting
For the MORONS THAT READ THE POSTS SKEEMMING FOR A SPOT TO HUNT off of the folks that have put in there time, done there home work and reaped the rewards of their labors, DO US ALL A FAVOR PULL YOUR LIP OVER YOUR HEAD AND SWALLOW!
drewan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS,

I am sure there are people who come here and do nothing but gather info, but it could also be just a coincidence that someone was there. I have thought of the lake I imagine you hunt, just never made the drive........ I would disguise where your hunting by giving false leads or very vague reference as in fresh water lake.....

I now usually post "found on beach on the east coast, west coast, south florida" etc as that leaves a lot to consider.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Too bad, good things can go bad. I know how you feel. When Dave told me about the phone calls, it really pi$$ed me off. I have had real good diving spots that are 50-60 miles offshore, 150-170' deep, where we only went to each maybe 2 times a year, and got really nice fish off of. And tiny little spots too. We would use these for tournament fish. We would find them with the fish finder while traveling to other spots, using bottom zoom and looking for what we call "shows'. Which is a huge pile of fish over some kind of hole or reef. Obviously these spots are virgin and it is apparent the fish have no idea what we are. Well, all some jerk with a boat and a radar and GPS that is overlaid has to do is see us anchored or sitting still, and mark our spot by putting his cursor over us and clicking. Many times we will see a boat way off and next time, the spot is fished out, boats fishing exactly on our virgin spot, or we find broken off spears and speartips, sometimes we see on spearfishing websites, guys that we know drove by us, all of the sudden holding up huge fish, and us finding that they went to our secret spots. It sucks. And it is getting worse out there. And here too. I remember years ago, there was a guy from California and he had found a treasure ship offshore-California, and he and his son were working it, and finding silver cobs. He also had a gold claim and was finding huge crystal gold clusters. And finding big nuggets in the creek with his dredge-on a regular basis. The guy was real nice and invited me out to dive his wreck. I never did, it was in Cali, and I was here. Well, within a few weeks of him showing his huge gold crystals, he had people trying to figure out where he was , and even had people actually try to get into it. He was a real nice guy, always posted fantastic stuff, and he suddenly dropped from the face of Tnet. Too bad. Just think what this place would be like if everyone could actually post all kind of fantastic stuff. Without someone trying to find out where you are going, and go there. Here is one of the fish we have pulled off those secret spots, and it is not a normal sized grouper.

Attachments

• CropofP1010309.jpg
    CropofP1010309.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 863

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, hook and line/spear/hawaiian sling/indian wrestling, whatever you did to get that bad boy on the boat had to be a tug of war. You done good. (was it full of worms?) just wondring.

I know what you mean. I've fished around here since the 70s and can still get some good ones, but quiet is the way to be. With everything.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That was spearing w/ speargun on scuba at about 160' deep. That is a black grouper and they dont have worms. Red grouper do get those tiny black things in them, but Gags and Blacks never do. I didnt want to get off track here, but when we would show up at spearfishing tournaments with huge fish, people would notice and sure enough, they were finding out where we were getting them. Just like with jewelry, gold nuggets, ship wreck coins, anything of value, people will try and get to it, the easy way. The cheating way.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all that many years ago I could go kayak touring up north, i.e., Michigan, Wisconsin, etc., and seldom encounter another kayaker. Now, kayakers are everywhere. Not all that many years ago you could pack back into many regions out west and seldom encounter anyone, now they are everywhere. Our population has exploded over the last 30-40 years and technology advances have made it easier and safer for people to get out. I think these factors are the real issue........"there's a lot more people and, because of the advancing tech, there are also very few remaining high risk out-of-the-way places."

jahall50

Feb 7, 2011
SS i,m pretty new to this board but appreciate the tips (how to hunt not location of hunt) and pics of finds that keep me excited about going on another hunt. I really enjoyed all of Snookinsons pics good luck hunting.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree, high tech and the internet have actually made a lot of the things more accessable or known. Plus more people now know about metal detecting, and water hunting. GPS, RADAR, cell phones, internet, it makes it hard to do a lot of things, and still be found out. It also is a good way to find out about things, and that is what is happening. But I guess we should just keep things quiet. That was the first thing my dad told me about treasure finding, keep quiet, because someone will find out. It can be done on the internet, but without letting the secret out. At all. I shouldnt have said anything about the hunt with Dave. Because I said we went at night, they thought we were doing something illegal, but we were hunting a super low, low tide, combined with an offshore wind, and calm seas. You will have that criminal aspect anytime there is something of value found.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldnt blame anyone if they quit posting anything at all!!!!!! i have heard of peoples finds/collections being stolen right out of there house! be very carefull what you post, what your profile lets people know and what your pics show, etc:
man, this really stinks!

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
sorry to hear that,just like the sharkpit will not post since he was stalked.some people really s#ck,i enjoy both your posts,funny i have a few pms about the skull buckles..do not know you.. sorry......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
I shouldn't have said anything about the hunt with Dave. Because I said we went at night, they thought we were doing something illegal, but we were hunting a super low, low tide, combined with an offshore wind, and calm seas. You will have that criminal aspect anytime there is something of value found.

When it comes to water hunting, night hunting salt water beaches isn't like night hunting when your dirt fishing. Dirt doesn't have tides, dirt especially doesn't have negative tides where areas are open to hunting that normally aren't due to the depth of the water.....

I have night hunted beaches many times, during the beach season, there are few people, it is really peaceful, you can't get sun burned, you usually have a nice breeze and as long as your careful and observant it is a really enjoyable time..... There is nothing criminal about night hunting salt water beaches..... Only negative I personally can think of is the lack of eye candy. :wink:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still prefer to hunt at night, especially on the beach, I don't know....it just seems to be a lot more relaxing. But in this day and age you have to be very picky about the beaches you hunt, and even then the risk are still much higher then during the day. But even at night I know I'm going to be seen and as more and more people see you in those same places, especially in hobbies that are growing at rapid paces, sooner or later someone is going to start hunting the same turf. A few weeks ago I was fishing off a private pier late at night, was catching some nice sea trout, sheaphead, and a few redfish. There was nobody else on the pier and I had the entire river to myself, or so I thought. The next day an older fellow who lived across the way, (about 300 yards) saw me and he informed me that he enjoyed watching me catching all those fish the night before. Turned out he was watching me through a telescope. Just goes to show you how hard it really can be these days to do anything without someone seeing you.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
stevemc said:
I shouldn't have said anything about the hunt with Dave. Because I said we went at night, they thought we were doing something illegal, but we were hunting a super low, low tide, combined with an offshore wind, and calm seas. You will have that criminal aspect anytime there is something of value found.

When it comes to water hunting, night hunting salt water beaches isn't like night hunting when your dirt fishing. Dirt doesn't have tides, dirt especially doesn't have negative tides where areas are open to hunting that normally aren't due to the depth of the water.....

I have night hunted beaches many times, during the beach season, there are few people, it is really peaceful, you can't get sun burned, you usually have a nice breeze and as long as your careful and observant it is a really enjoyable time..... There is nothing criminal about night hunting salt water beaches..... Only negative I personally can think of is the lack of eye candy. :wink:

I love to hunt at night!!! No one to bother me no one to track me down! Splendid isolation!!!! Seems to me that I can concentrate better work slower and find quality! Illegal?? Really?!?! I also have a job working 40 plus hours a week! You bet your fat bottom I'll hunt whenever time and tide allows!! I love MDing and seeing all the posts of finds on Tnet!! Remember you can't find it all! But don't be a fool! Loose lips sinks ships (hopefully full of gold and silver)! ;D :icon_pirat: :laughing9: :laughing7: :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :sign13: All this bottom feeders shssst sucks really bums me out! SS & Snook Luv your posts!!

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
seeker41 said:
wouldnt blame anyone if they quit posting anything at all!!!!!! i have heard of peoples finds/collections being stolen right out of there house! be very carefull what you post, what your profile lets people know and what your pics show, etc:
man, this really stinks!

Well then, I think I should post all my finds from now on and my address! Because I guarantee if anyone tried to poke there head in my house to steal my booty it would be the last time they did anything!!! That being said I fully believe and support the 2nd amendment! :o :-X ::) lol

h2ojunkie

Jul 7, 2010
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Excal II, DF
My opinion...this hobby has become very popular as of late. More guys out hunting, more guys posting...hence more guys out hunting. The internet and forums like this aren't doing us many favors. Sure it's fun to post your finds but it also opens up the entire world to your hunting grounds. This was a fringe hobby w/o much competition...until the internet came along. Think about it. Are your beaches pretty picked over? Posting 5-6 gold ring days are bound to attract attention and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2+2 together. I'm pretty much done with these forums myself SS.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sadly there are no good lazy but rather smart (in their own way) "dirtbag" types out there --that poach other folks sites and some even resort to robbing folks homes ( good way to get shot here in florida)-- this has lead some folks to not being so talkitive about the "details" of their finds and areas they hunt and where they live

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread