SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beach combing more triggers shell collecting to me lol.

Maybe we can have beach combing as a sub topic for beach and shallow water?

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
SeaninNH said:
Beach combing more triggers shell collecting to me lol.

Maybe we can have beach combing as a sub topic for beach and shallow water?
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys and gals that wade in the water detecting don't think of themselves as beach combing. To me the types that beach comb are walking the wet sand where it is firm to look for what ever is washed up on the sand. Sometimes they get lucky and find a drowned person which they can recover the jewelry from. Or maybe find a bale of "hemp" to take home so nobody else uses it. :laughing7:

Others wanna collect sea glass and shells. Maybe eyeball a coin laying on top of the sand.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach and shallow water! I've submitted my vote. There is NO mention of the words metal detector/ing in the definition of beachcombing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcombing

beach·comb·er (bchkmr)
n.
1. One who scavenges along beaches or in wharf areas.
2. A seaside vacationer.
beachcomber [ˈbiːtʃˌkəʊmə]
n
1. (Business / Professions) a person who searches shore debris for anything of worth, esp a vagrant living on a beach
2. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a long high wave rolling onto a beach
beachcombing n
Noun 1. beachcomber - a vagrant living on a beach
drifter, vagrant, vagabond, floater - a wanderer who has no established residence or visible means of support

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Guys and gals that wade in the water detecting don't think of themselves as beach combing. To me the types that beach comb are walking the wet sand where it is firm to look for what ever is washed up on the sand. Sometimes they get lucky and find a drowned person which they can recover the jewelry from. Or maybe find a bale of "hemp" to take home so nobody else uses it. :laughing7:

Others wanna collect sea glass and shells. Maybe eyeball a coin laying on top of the sand.

Beach Combing is looking for shells, driftwood or what ever washes ashore, I hunt beaches with my detector for gold, silver, diamonds and other precious stones,..........well and to look at the eye candy, which is a lot easier to do with a detector in my hand then just standing there staring..:tongue3:....

As far as the hemp, I always tried to destroy the hemp a couple pinches at a time to protect any kids from finding it.... :laughing7:

DEGreen

Jun 21, 2006
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett ADS-6
Beach and Shallow Water - I voted

Have seen some vagrants on the beaches and I dont feel I qualify as one if that is what a beachcomber is.

Wishing you little troubles and big treasures

Darryl

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it ain't broke.....don't fix it. The former title for this section of the forum , just felt better.

Joy in Fl

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finderzzs said:
I AM NOT A BEACH COMBER...'NOUGH SAID...
Yep me to.We are Pirates.
pirate7.jpg

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't Have A comb That Big!!!! My vote is In Chug

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With the title change, soon we will see posts, "which beaches are the best to find shells?" or, I found this shell, it's curly Q'ed at the top and pointed at the bottom, what kind is it? ;D ;D

01 medicated

Mar 2, 2010
N.C.
Detector(s) used
MXT 6x10dd-4x6dd
Why was Beach and Shallow Water changed anyway................Beach Combing............really :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Enough votes are in! Change it back. I thought beachcombing was downright insulting!
Aquanut

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, which beach is best for sea shells? :laughing7:

Anyone collect sea glass?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sandman said:
Ok guys, which beach is best for sea shells? :laughing7:

Anyone collect sea glass?

I preferred the Beach and Shallow Water title, but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss "other" treasures. There is a very loyal following of Sea Glass collectors. The North American Sea Glass Association has a convention every year on alternating coasts. I have a beach near me that always produces "Mermaid's Tears". People rarely visit the beach as it is on a dead end that has been eroding into the sea. During the 50's-60's, it was the place to be. Find some red sea glass and you'll be surprised what people will pay. There is another that is near the Old City inlet that produces blue/white porcelain after heavy Nor'Easters. Not all treasure is metal.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Beach and Shallow water hunting is what it's about for us. We swing metal detectors not hunt for what Wash's up on the shore with our eye's (Beach Combing). I vote change it back to what it was before. Rick :coffee2:

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voted: beach and Shallow Water!

Why was it changed anyway? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread