Finally cleaned up that watch that I found the other day.....

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• Picture_7286.jpg
    Picture_7286.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 711
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: OMG!!!! Beautiful job cleaning that watch, that's a real beauty!!!!! :icon_thumright: Red

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks , Red and Cntrydncr.

It's the electrolysis process that did the job; I just supervised. ;D

Lorraine

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Nice Jog Lorraine. Too bad it was not a wearer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great job on cleaning up that watch. Now it doesn't look like you found it in the dirt. :thumbsup:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you would be able to clean it up to look
almost beand new... not disappointed at all. WTG.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Awesome job cleaning up that watch. It looks great! WTG

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you , everyone for the kind words. :)

It was fun uncovering this watch.

Now I better start my Spring house cleaning!

Lorraine

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!!! thats a huge difference. to bad the internals wont work. soak it in wd-40 for a couple weeks then rince and clean with achohol. might work!!!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
seeker41 said:
wow!!! thats a huge difference. to bad the internals wont work. soak it in wd-40 for a couple weeks then rince and clean with achohol. might work!!!

I'll try it....but I think it has moisture and bits of dirt inside the face... might have to also take it apart to clean the inside.

Lorraine

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did an AMAZING job Lorraine! Do you have any useful links with information on the art of electrolysis? At some point I need to give it a try.

lorraine said:
This watch is a bracelet style watch...I really like it, but it is ruined beyond repair; must have been lost many years ago.

I was just curious to find out what the face looked like prior to falling prey to the salty ocean so I electrolyzed it and here is the "before " and "after"

Thanks for looking

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link! I don't have a setup as of yet. Did you build your own or buy some kind of kit?

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Tony in FL said:
Thanks for the link! I don't have a setup as of yet. Did you build your own or buy some kind of kit?

My brother build one for me...here's pics of it

Attachments

• ec.jpg
    ec.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 449
  • cooking.JPG
    cooking.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 444

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You should use a switchable power supply. You are making too many bubbles. What you want is just a little fizz, not a lot of bubbles, which means you are really tearing it up. You will definitly ruin something valuable. Usually it will tear up a silver item much worse than any other way to clean it. You need to be able to switch to the load you are working with. If you go to Radio Shack, I am sure they can hook you up. Dont use a battery. Your watch came out nice though. And your Brother's mix of 1 Tbs of Washing Soda to 1 Qt of water is a good one. I have seen some using salt, and I cant figure out why they would even think that would be good. The exact opposite of what you should be using.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
stevemc said:
You should use a switchable power supply. You are making too many bubbles. What you want is just a little fizz, not a lot of bubbles, which means you are really tearing it up. You will definitly ruin something valuable. Usually it will tear up a silver item much worse than any other way to clean it. You need to be able to switch to the load you are working with. If you go to Radio Shack, I am sure they can hook you up. Dont use a battery. Your watch came out nice though.

Thanks for the info, Steve...I can't remember what caused all that bubbling; that's an old photo... because I usually see just a minor "fizz" while the item is being electrolyzed.

I'll check out Radio Shack and see if they can help me with a switchable power supply.

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lorraine, see if they have one that has a low to higher range. amperage. So you can start low and work your way up. Maybe .25 and up to 2 amp. Something like that. You can plug it in to the wall, and let it work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread