excal tips

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any way to just have iron disc out but not change threshhold tones? i want to hunt disc but i have a area with alot of iron and i hate the tone it changes it to and it gets annoying to keep putting scoop over coil to change does it matter if the thresh is like that or will the iron sound not matter?

Upvote 0

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this helps, but, I'll run mine silent while in disc. Iron nulls out anyways, foil I'll get but it has it's own identifiable sound. Come across a big piece of Iron, forget it. It's an anchor off of a pirates ship. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
any way to just have iron disc out but not change threshhold tones? i want to hunt disc but i have a area with alot of iron and i hate the tone it changes it to and it gets annoying to keep putting scoop over coil to change does it matter if the thresh is like that or will the iron sound not matter?

To answer your question ....no.

I don't understand why people worry about it, the Excal works the same no matter what the threshold sound is, you will not miss anything with the lower tone......... I don't even try to change it, next target usually changes it.....

On the Sov GT you have the option of the "silent search" You set your volume to loud, adjust your threshold to a soft purr, then switch to "silent search" mode, you will not hear the threshold or anything till you find a target. It is a great feature on the Sov GT... When I first got the SOV GT. I use to test it a lot when I first bought my Sov GT, when I would find a target in disc that was just barely a whisper, I would switch it to silent search to test it and rescan the target area, it always reported the target even in silent search and no matter how faint target signal was........

I R-E-A-L-L-Y wish Minelab would produce a waterproof version of the SOV GT with all its features......

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I subscribe to the KISS theory myself :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what i have to do is ignore the low tone right? what about the blank time inbetween iron hit and start of tone

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
so what i have to do is ignore the low tone right? what about the blank time inbetween iron hit and start of tone

Don't ignore the low tone, it is the same as the high tone it is the threshold..... Remember the excal will report a null and give you a tone for gold at the same time. When you get a null you should always recheck the null from a 90 degree angle from the original sweep. The excal will tell you if there is gold there, others want. I have found gold that way at the beach, pulled up gold ring and piece of iron in the same scoop.... Example sweep north to south get a null, sweep the null again east to west to be sure there is nothing there...... If you have a null and move on it will see a good target.....

Try a test, set your excal on a table, sweep it with a piece of iron, then gold, watch how fast it responds to the gold..... On both of mine no matter how fast I sweep it with gold after a piece of iron that nulls it always gives me a signal on the gold.... Sweep a piece of ground to be sure there are no targets there, take a gold ring, put a nail through it, set it on the ground and sweep it, you will get a null from one direction, sweep it at a 90 degree angle from the first sweep, you will get a tone for the gold........I have done this several times to show people how it works......

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
fisher2 said:

Don't ignore the low tone, it is the same as the high tone it is the threshold..... Remember the excal will report a null and give you a tone for gold at the same time. When you get a null you should always recheck the null from a 90 degree angle from the original sweep. The excal will tell you if there is gold there, others want. I have found gold that way at the beach, pulled up gold ring and piece of iron in the same scoop.... Example sweep north to south get a null, sweep the null again east to west to be sure there is nothing there...... If you have a null and move on it will see a good target.....

Try a test, set your excal on a table, sweep it with a piece of iron, then gold, watch how fast it responds to the gold..... On both of mine no matter how fast I sweep it with gold after a piece of iron that nulls it always gives me a signal on the gold.... Sweep a piece of ground to be sure there are no targets there, take a gold ring, put a nail through it, set it on the ground and sweep it, you will get a null from one direction, sweep it at a 90 degree angle from the first sweep, you will get a tone for the gold........I have done this several times to show people how it works......

Very well said. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread