Gold n Silver at iron beach

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My friend Matt and I hit a beach in NJ that is known as 'Iron beach'. This place literally has huge iron, medium iron, small iron and anything in between. I used my Gold Bug SE and he used his AT Pro for the first time. I think we picked the right units, since I believe our Minelabs may have been nulling every sweep, and my CZ may have falsed repeatedly with all the iron around.

I bagged 2 silver quarters, 6 dimes, a Buffalo and what looks like a really old gold cross. The cross is totally covered in iron residue, and I don't have a clue what the best way to get rid of that garbage. I got a little off to see if it was gold with a wire brush, but I think I may go the jewelry ultrasonic route first.

Matt got 3 silver quarters ( a Barber, Standing Liberty and Washington) 4 silver dimes and a 10K school ring from 1926. The only sad part was part of the bottom of the ring is broken off.

We also got about 12-15 beat up wheaties. Funny thing is, we only hit 2-3 clad coins between us. It was an old coin day for sure.

The Gold Bug and AT Pro ran super and with the super fast recovery speeds of those units, we got all these coins among loads of iron junk.

Attachments

• crossnsilver.jpg
    crossnsilver.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 427
  • cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good day. My son is interested in the ATPro, so, I'm happy to hear how well it did on that very tough beach.

I hunted Iron Beach last Sunday with my Sov GT. Got some clad, a couple Wheaties, a 42 Merc, a Silver Ring, some junk jewelry, and my coolest find, a baseball Figurine that looks like it's from the early 1900's era. As metal it's made out of lead or something, really heavy, so it's worthless. I've named him Scoop. The 42 dime was found right by another guy's dig mark. I thought it was his trash. Go figure!!!

That beach was getting pounded by guys yesterday. I'm going back today with my brother, so we'll see. If nothing else, we're guaranteed to find copper parts and steel trash.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread