Question for Dual Field users

jahall50

Feb 7, 2011
I have a dual field and I am trying to hunt in water above knee deep sometimes up to chest deep. I have read Clives book on the dual field but I am still not sure if I am hunting properly. As soon as I get to knee deep water the waves either null out the noise or increases it. What or how should I be hunting. I saw a video with Steve from South Fl and he seems to be very successful at it. I am hunting around east coast of Central Florida (New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach) if that helps. Thanks for any tips.

Upvote 0

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I don't really understand what you are asking but if you are talking about a amplified increase (ramping up) in the threshold tone going from shallow to deeper water then that is normal... it does not affect the performance of the DF in anyway...

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Your not doing anything wrong, that's how it works/sounds. You'll no it when you go over a target, it beeps, unlike the signal a wave makes which is a drawn out signal, not a sharp beep that a positive target makes. It takes some getting used to, but once you do, you'll be very successful.
P.S.... I'm Steve in South Florida...aka finderzzs

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find if ya swing with the wave its not bad, but you'll know when your over something... But mine is acting up again, think its the coil again... why can't that happen in the winter...

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
S.S.Tupperware said:
I find if ya swing with the wave its not bad, but you'll know when your over something... But mine is acting up again, think its the coil again... why can't that happen in the winter...
Make sure your cable is not swinging free. It'll make ALOT of false signals. Wrap it around the shaft Real good. :help:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finderzzs said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
Make sure your cable is not swinging free. It'll make ALOT of false signals. Wrap it around the shaft Real good. :help:

This is normal operation for the way a pulse works in salt water where waves are present. About the coil wire, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,392411.0.html

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wires good, but it acting up like it did before...

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
You could try lowering the Gain a bit...The stronger the current the more the threshhold with fluctuate. Or you can learn to figure it out and deal with the change as you will start to understand it. There is a possibility you can miss some whispers though. If you slow down the sweep speed and keep your coil low it helps as well.

OP
OP
J

jahall50

Feb 7, 2011
Craig I'm sorry I did not ask the question like this in my previous posts. I didn't really know how to ask the question and I thought you would get upset at me asking the same thing over and over. I finally realized how to word it to make it understandable. I am very appreciative of the tips you have given me so far and I always look forward to seeing your amazing finds and I always follow any advice you give. Steve nice to meet you and thanks for the info. Like with Craig I am amazed at your finds. The reason I actually bought my Dual Field in January was I read the reviews and I saw the amazing finds Craig and Steve make all the time. Craig if you were in Florida I bet you could find 5 times more stuff than you do because of how busy our beaches always are. I didn't know that beaches in Connecticut were so busy. Craig if you or Steve are ever around Cocoa Beach let me know I would love to hunt with and learn from you guys.

Justin

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Thanks Justin... like I have said in the past, patience is needed to learn the PI... I have seen some very impressive finds from your area the DF hunters who don't post their finds on these forums...

The sound you talk about I get the same thing as does my buddy Joe with his Headhunter PI... its usually going from shallow to deep water but like I said it does not affect the depth of the DF...

Even though I can run the DF hot, try turning the gain down to 2 o'clock instead of 3 and leave the pulse delay clicked just past factory setting...

I'm waiting for the next minus tide cycle before I go hunting again... ;)

jahall50 said:
Craig I'm sorry I did not ask the question like this in my previous posts. I didn't really know how to ask the question and I thought you would get upset at me asking the same thing over and over. I finally realized how to word it to make it understandable. I am very appreciative of the tips you have given me so far and I always look forward to seeing your amazing finds and I always follow any advice you give. Steve nice to meet you and thanks for the info. Like with Craig I am amazed at your finds. The reason I actually bought my Dual Field in January was I read the reviews and I saw the amazing finds Craig and Steve make all the time. Craig if you were in Florida I bet you could find 5 times more stuff than you do because of how busy our beaches always are. I didn't know that beaches in Connecticut were so busy. Craig if you or Steve are ever around Cocoa Beach let me know I would love to hunt with and learn from you guys.

Justin

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Not sure how many targets you might miss Craig, but I run my gain maxed out at all time with the notch just off of being clicked. Soft or moving sand will also put off noises, and so also if you sweep your coil off of the sand/bottom, try and scrape the sand at all times. If I am up your way Justin I'll holler, you do the same when coming my way.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I don't think I am missing many targets... Finderzz... I turned down the gain to hear the breaks in the threshold that are like a blank but repeatable spot... I can hear them alot clearer now... I ran my GT over a couple of these targets and didn't even make a peep ;) Some beaches I can run full throttle, other area's I cannot ;) I run all my detectors wide open generally ;) I guess I'm used to a sputtering, crackly threshold.. I think a smooth tone would put me to sleep :thumbsup:

finderzzs said:
Not sure how many targets you might miss Craig, but I run my gain maxed out at all time with the notch just off of being clicked. Soft or moving sand will also put off noises, and so also if you sweep your coil off of the sand/bottom, try and scrape the sand at all times. If I am up your way Justin I'll holler, you do the same when coming my way.

OP
OP
J

jahall50

Feb 7, 2011
Craig good luck with the minus tide. Steve I'll definitely let you know if I head down South. And if you head up here I am looking forward to hunting with you. I will post any good finds when I go hunting this weekend. Thank You guys for the tips.

Justin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread