1715 Beach Area Short Term House Rental...

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While reading some of the posts that have to do with the bridges being shut down during the hurricane, with only residents being allowed access, I began to think of how someone, or a group of someone's could manage to legally be able to get to the barrier island without staying at a hotel (which would most likely get you thrown out during the evacuation), or playing hide-and-seek with local law enforcement.

Simply put, we need to find someone who either lives there, or has rental property there who would be willing to write up a short term rental lease for the property. One of the nice things about the state of Florida is that Tenants (Renters) have the same rights to a piece of property as a property owner (other than "disposition of the property").

The lease should serve as "Prima Facie" evidence of residency on the island, and will most likely get you through the roadblocks.

Give me your feedback and ideas on this...

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
That might work. :-\ However, here in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area they shut the bridges and wouldnt even let the residents back over the last big storm warning. Some just left for supplies and couldnt return home. Others were just getting off work and couldnt even get home to shower! Many were left to sleep in their car in a traffic jam of angry residents. A hurricane is not a nice place to be stuck in. Dont forget, Frances and Jeanne were not really bad category storms. I have thought about this, and I pretty much have to be in a secure residence and hunker down before the storm approaches, or just have to wait for the bridges to reopen when it is safe. Now remember, 2 of the 3 bridges over to Treasure Beach were out.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
More storms expected this hurricane season

July 27, 2006
MELBOURNE — Floridians would like to forget names such as Frances, Jeanne, Erin and Andrew.
But revisiting those hurricanes and others from the past century is one of the ways scientists are using to develop forecasting techniques. Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne gathered hurricane experts from its faculty for a Wednesday panel about the 2006 storm season. The professors agree with most meteorologists who predict there are plenty more storms to contend with this year.

"July is traditionally a quiet month in the hurricane season," said John Williams, who runs the school's hurricane research program. "Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security because nothing has happened."
Two named storms, Alberto and Beryl, have developed so far in the hurricane season, which started June 1. Fifteen named storms are expected to follow, Williams said. However, this season is off to a slower start than last year, when the fourth named storm, Dennis, struck Florida in early July, said Steven Lazarus, assistant professor of marine and environmental systems.

"August is when things ramp up," Williams said.

Williams, Lazarus and their academic colleagues across the country are trying to determine what factors have led to the increase in severe storms in recent years. Many factors — including global warming — are considered, with one strong indicator being the surface temperatures on the Atlantic Ocean, Lazarus said. Records indicate a series of warm and cold cycles in the Atlantic during the 120 years, with the warm cycles lasting as long as 40 years and the cold cycles going 20 years or more. Since hurricanes are spawned by cyclones picking up heat from the ocean, the warm cycles show more hurricane activity, he said.

"We just started a warm cycle in 1995," Lazarus said.

But looking to storm seasons of years prior to 1960 is spotty because of the lack of satellite monitoring, Williams said. Therefore, it's difficult to develop a trend or to know whether 2005 was truly a record-breaking year.

"In the 1950s, the only basis we had of knowing about storms developing in the Atlantic was if a boat happened to be out there when it happened," Williams said.

Technology has come a long way since the first weather satellite launched nearly 50 years ago, Williams said. But there's still plenty of research to be done.

"We need to find out what makes these storms intensify and where they will go," Williams said. "If I'm a businessman, I don't care how many of these storms we have. I'd want to know where the big ones are going. We aren't at that point yet."

Named storms: 17

Storm days: 85

Hurricanes: 9

Intense storms: 5

• Odds of a Category 3 storm hitting the U.S. eastern coastline: 69 percent

Dr. William Gray, Colorado State University

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I agree that it can be a bit dicey to try to get across the bridges, and the only thing I can suggest would be to get over there well before the shutdown.

I am a real estate Broker in central Florida who is working with an investor who just got bitten by the detecting bug. He went out with his family and each of them bought Excaliburs. When I told him of the idea today, he told me to begin looking for property over there for him to purchase. Maybe we can find something, and if I can get a group together, we could possibly rent it from him during storm season. Use it as a base of operations and a place to count our booty...

Anyone interested in maybe getting in on this, let me know.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
CaptainZossima said:
I know you all just love poking fun at the TD Machine, but why wait for hurricanes. Why not open a forum here for intelligent(lol) discussion on how to address issues associated with getting down to paydirt?

Cap Z.
The oldtimers say you dont need a hurricane.

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
wreckdiver1715 said:
Damn! more competition beachside. :'(

WD, don't think of it as competition... Think of it as an additional set of eyes for that rogue wave that may come out of the blue... ;)

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Boat motors, frisbees, broken digging tools and washed out detectors being hurled through the air with impunity by aggravated tourist hunters. ;)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They say all we need is a strong E or NE wind to make some cuts. :)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hummmmph mummmmphufffficaffing
I should have told you all about the house across the street from me that was for rent.
Now I have a bunch of rowdy teenagers with fast cars living there.

Q

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No! that would be me... LOL, as a member of the Brevard County Republican Committee, I can assure you that none of them have voted in the last three elections, and the bumper stickers all say something about Hillery for President.
So back to that diving thing cappy, lastest reports show that as of this weekend we have had only 9 shark attacks in Brevard County waters. Hmmmm all surfers bitten, no divers bitten. yet last Wednesday and Thursday we had thousands of divers in the water, and surfers were the preferred human meal by most sharks.
So! cappy, why don't you want to go diving with me?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
I heard one enterprising TH'er flew in on his personal helicopter right after the hurricanes. Must be nice. If looking for a rental, let me suggest www.newspapers.com, click on Florida then check the different Gold Coast newspapers classifieds to find that beach rental.

Harry

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks like she/he will hit the keys?

Attachments

• TSChris8-1-06resize.jpg
    TSChris8-1-06resize.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 990

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Chris likely to be season's first hurricane
However, forecast models have its path farther south of earlier tracks

August 3, 2006
Tropical Storm Chris could be the first hurricane of the season in the Atlantic Ocean, but all Treasure Coast residents will likely see are choppy oceans, rip currents and a breeze.
The official forecast track of Chris, with maximum winds of 60 mph late Wednesday, brought the storm through the Florida Straits — a slight shift south of the earlier tracks.

"There's a better chance it will be farther south of the forecast track than farther north," said Scott Kelly, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Melbourne. "Most of the models keep it farther south of the official forecast."
Forecasters expect Chris to become a Category 1 hurricane late Thursday and approach the southern tip of Florida by Sunday. That could make for 5-foot seas, an increased chance of rip currents and breezy conditions locally this weekend.

The storm is also forecast to move over Cuba, which would weaken it before it moves into the Gulf of Mexico, Kelly said.

Local emergency planners expressed relief Wednesday, while forecasters — and the rest of the state — wondered if this tropical storm season will be as disastrous as the previous two, when three hurricanes struck the Treasure Coast.

"We're still waiting for the first hurricane of the season," Kelly said.

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Where were all you guys in 2004, during Frances and Jeanne? Apparently not on the Treasure Coast. I am a Frances evacuee and a Jeanne and Wilma survivor. I've also been through several cat 1's and 2's over the years. And to anyone who thinks that Frances and Jeanne were not that bad, think again. For Frances, I ran up to Savannah, Georgia, because they were saying that we were going to get a direct hit by a category 4, which would have been devastating. In Savannah, tornadoes ripped through my motel, knocking down trees and power lines, and a strong hurricane gust took out the driver's side window of my car, on the way up there. So, I had no driver's side window for the entire trip and for over two months after that. Gasoline and ice were nowhere to be seen. Fortunately, I topped off my tank well in advance and was able to fill it up again in Savannah. Then I came back to a house with no electricity, for 5 days (it was out for 8 days total). After that fiasco and spending all of my savings on motels, gasoline and other crap, Jeanne hit us about 2 weeks later. I had to weather that one out, because I was broke and very tired (it's almost impossible to sleep without a/c during the Florida summers). Anyway, Jeanne was the scariest storm I've ever weathered. We had 110 mph winds and the trees were friggin horizontal. The power went out before the center even hit land and was out for 11 days, where I lived, in Palm Bay/Malabar. Yep, 11 days in the broiling heat, with no a/c, no tv, no refrigerator, no hot water and the most obnoxious and selfish man in the world for a roommate. People were standing on long lines for ice and food, out in the 95 degree heat. All of the stuff that I had stored in the landlord's shed was gone with the wind, as the shed was upside down in the woods. I lost a lot of stuff, including my rare coin collection. It was hell on earth. So, please don't wish another one on us. I've had enough hurricanes for a lifetime. That being said, I wouldn't mind a tropical storm to hit further down south (Treasure Coast), for MD purposes, as long as our power doesn't go out again and nobody gets hurt. But I wouldn't wish a cat 3 hurricane on anyone. You don't know what it's like until you've been through two of them, back to back. SS

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Striker, Thanks for the flash backs neighbor. I remember it well also, and we have reminders of the scars all through the neighborehood today, two years later. The Ramada Inn in Satellite Beach is now a pile of rubble, having suffered complete blow threw during Jeanne. Both my boat and my home suffered damage in the storms, but nothing when compared to some of our neighbors, both at the marina and in the neighborhood.
Having survived both those storms, just weeks apart, and working the beaches with the ol Excalibur after the storms, I could almost see the plate fleet survivors walking the beach dazed from the storm. I could see that same dazed and shocked look in the faces of many of the folks who live beachside and lived to tell about it.

Good luck to all this year.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Striker said:
Yeah Wreckdiver, they have no idea of what we went through. SS
Yea, but most Treasure Coast survivors have no idea what a Cat 4 or 5 can do with 200 mph gusts. In Homestead near Florida City, we had no house left after Andrew, and no way to call for help. I have yet to see another Cat4 or 5 hit since. A storm like that you will forget about treasure. On thing to mention. There is no A/C and no shade either. The roofs were all gone completely, along with the trees. Dont even think about riding out a Cat3 or over on the beach. When I speak of hunkering down, I am referring to a Cat 1.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter, truer words could not be spoken my friend. A CAT 2 scares me to death, and I will be in Vegas if one is heading directly to me. I gave up on evacuating to Orlando two years ago.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I know y'all got pounded with Frances and Jeanne. They sat off shore, would not move, and pounded and pounded away. They were devastating to the barrier islands. But they did weaken. Usually hurricanes move through quickly. They were bad, but can be much worse. I cannot put into words the aftermath of Andrew. There really was no comparison. As bad as Katrina and Wilma were, you seen on TV that the houses still had plywood on the roofs. Andrew had much more wind damage, with little storm surge damage because it came ashore in an unpopulated area south of Miami, and moved quickly across the everglades. We do NOT want to see an Cat 5 Andrew strength type storm hit a populated area, like Broward. There were whole neighborhoods in Homestead bulldozed. It would make you forget Frances and Jeanne.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread