harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I recently bought a new scoop from Kellyco.....the stainless steel/wood handle .....pro water scoop I think it's called. It works great, but is wayyyy too heavy for the likes of me[5 lbs.] I do have one of the short handle ones with an open weave basket, and like that one fine, but wanted something long handled.

If anyone in the Clearwater area would like to trade me for something lite to use in the under 2lb. bracket, plez write me.

Thanks,
Joy

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harleyroadangel said:
Hi,

I recently bought a new scoop from Kellyco.....the stainless steel/wood handle .....pro water scoop I think it's called. It works great, but is wayyyy too heavy for the likes of me[5 lbs.] I do have one of the short handle ones with an open weave basket, and like that one fine, but wanted something long handled.

If anyone in the Clearwater area would like to trade me for something lite to use in the under 2lb. bracket, plez write me.

Thanks,
Joy

Joy, sent you an IM....

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a pic of my 2 scoops. The little hand held one , I am happy with, except it does get tiresome bending over. The one I bought is just way too heavy for me and meant for water scooping, which I am not currently doing. I had bought it, thinking durability. It cost $90. I would love one of the less expensive, light weight ones with the curved handle, that will allow you to kick it, but be in the 2lb. category. I don't want to deal with shipping. Just a simple trade with some one local. I know there are many of us around pier 60 area...lol. Am posting a pic of the 2 scoops, so you can see the difference. Thanks,
Joy

Attachments

• SCOOPS.jpg
    SCOOPS.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 671

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Joy have thought about having a longer handle added to your smaller scoop?
A local weld shop should be able to add it relatively cheaply.

It started out like this.
008.jpg

After I added the longer 45in(including the bend) handle, it ended up 4ft long and I no longer have to bend down to scoop.
001.jpg

Just a thought.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the dry sand a screen type basket is fast sifting. Here is the one I like for dry sand and it works OK in the wet if target isn't too deep. It is a RTG Beachmaster. http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm This one has a 40" handle and you can push it in with your foot if needed.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 554
  • RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 560

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
my scoop weights 4 kg or 9lpb,I got used to it, grew more muscle and it feels great. Advantage of it is that its very wide and deep, about 10" wide and 11" long . I can grab many things with it ;)

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you want to trade but here's probably what you want... Under 2lbs.

Attachments

• jollywaterscoopmini.jpg
    jollywaterscoopmini.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 543
OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wildman4910 said:
Joy have thought about having a longer handle added to your smaller scoop?
A local weld shop should be able to add it relatively cheaply.

It started out like this.
008.jpg

After I added the longer 45in(including the bend) handle, it ended up 4ft long and I no longer have to bend down to scoop.
001.jpg

Just a thought.
I like how that turned out! I do think that I'd like to keep the little one, as is , though, as it is so easy to throw in my backpack, for the times I might be traveling.

Everyone has come up with some really good suggestions, and I thank you all. Guess I'll wait and see if anyone local comes up with a trade...otherwise this will be the start of a collection.

Thanks Everyone!
Joy

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joy,

I neglected to mention the scoop is from RTG. Keep in mind that if you are looking for a scoop to push into the sand with your foot, the mesh basket variety is generally not suitable. You can crush the basket with too much pressure. Some scoops are available with basket reinforcement but that adds weight. I would suggest the aluminum scoop that is specifically designed for pushing in with your foot.

Tom

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
N2CU said:
Joy,

I neglected to mention the scoop is from RTG. Keep in mind that if you are looking for a scoop to push into the sand with your foot, the mesh basket variety is generally not suitable. You can crush the basket with too much pressure. Some scoops are available with basket reinforcement but that adds weight. I would suggest the aluminum scoop that is specifically designed for pushing in with your foot.

Tom

Tom,
Yes, I noticed that. Lots of pros and cons with each one. I already know I will have to give up the sturdy, long lasting factor if I want to stay lite weight. It could be that my little short handled one will be the best one for me after all. I did watch a guy that used a different technique using the short basket type, than how I've been using it, which seemed much faster. I've been...getting a good scoop....shakeing it side to side....many times needing three or four times per hole of finding the target.

This other fellow, quickly dug out three or four scoops.......knocked the piles over and usually the target was visible. I'm going to try that next time out.
Thanks,
Joy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not hunting in the water or waters edge where you can use the water to drain basket then dig a full basket, scan the hole, if target is still in hole, throw basket of sand on the beach and scoop again, when target is no longer in the hole throw basket of sand on the ground, scan and kick portion of sand where target is with your foot, scan the pile again, locate target and kick that portion of the pile aside again.. You can quickly locate a target this way if you do not have a water proof pinpointer...

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm afraid that's the nature of any decent water scoop. I'm over 60 and muscles, if I once had any, are responding to age and gravity. I have several light scoops of various lengths but usually drag the 5-6 pounder. When you are at the water's edge, racing the waves, the big scoops get that sand moving. I've worn out a couple of the light ones that just don't hold up to the work. Try rigging up a bungee, loop, that lets you drag the scoop. Another idea is try to find a variety of scoops to heft and see if you find a compromise between strength and weight you can handle.

HH Magjm

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
here's one of my models scoop ....
"KREPISH" weight 2,36 lb
and it's not the lightest model, the model is 2 lb or less

Attachments

• krepish-v11E.jpg
    krepish-v11E.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 441
  • krepish-v11E.jpg
    krepish-v11E.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 378

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to hang on to any of the scoops. Many make a scoop holder out of a carpenters hammer belt and hang the scoop from that. Most install a L bolt on the belt for the same purpose, but some just drag it.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
scoop must carry on behind back.
well-tuned metalodetektor will react if the scoop in front or on the belt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread