Galvanized long handled Scoop for about $10.00

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If money is tight then build my scoop for about ten dollars. Go to a feed store and buy a galvanized grain scoop, go to hardware and buy a 8 foot section of EMT (electrical metal tube). Have hardware store bend the tube into the shape of a U. Buy some stainless steel 1 1/4" bolts and two 2" bolts with locknuts plus washers. Take a 3/8" drill bit and drill sifting holes in the scoop but don't drill the back until the handle is installed. Drill out the rivets on the scoop handle and enlrge holes to 1/4". Lay handle alongside EMT and match its length plus one inch. Mash that last inch flat then bend it down at a right angle. At the other mark, beat it flat and bend it to match the area where the grain scoop handle was. Take a scrap piece of EMT, from the other end, to use as a cross beam as the grain scoop was. You'll want to measure the other end so it lines up with the bottom and then hacksaw off the excess. Drill your holes to assemble everything. Drill your 3/8" holes on scoop back.
This scoop lasted me about 8 years until I found enough to buy a $200 scoop.
Good luck.

Harry

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, picture please if you can.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I too would like to see pic if you still have it. 8)

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry, no picture available. I made those scoops 20 years ago when money was tight. I use a stainless steel scoop today that I bought from Kellyco for $90 about 10 years ago. I can probably draw up a diagram of it and post it.

Harry

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Harry thanks it would be great if you could do a drawing or something to help me out I would love to try making one of the scoops. thaks again Jeff Tx.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The simple truth is... you can't beat a well made scoop. Sure you can hack one together, and it might work reasonably well, but getting a quality made scoop (rom reilleys, sunspot, jimmy sierra) is well worth the investment. You get great quality, a scoop that has been used/designed/tested by tons of beachcombers, and more importantly... something that is gonna last and make your time on the beach easier and more productive. Remember what you get when you make a cheap scoop: a cheap scoop.

Can it be done? yes, but i can drive a finish nail with a sledgehammer too... doesn't make it the best or the easiest way.
steve

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well Spez401:
I have a Reilly scoop that cost me $40.00, 20 years ago and it was classified a cheap scoop. Today that same scoop is probably $100. The components maybe be cheap but they are galvanized just like many of the scoops sold by Kellyco. If you include the Labor of building one of my scoops then the price would naturally go up. This scoop can be manufactured by anyone with basic handtools and have an excellent long handled scoop at minimal cost. They do wear out but they usually last about 8 years and I received many compliments from other TH'ers who were impressed in the simplicity of it.
Attached is a drawing of the scoop, experiment and you will be able to build my scoop and when you do, post it on this site and tell me how you like it.
HR

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 469

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
FLauthor said:
Attached is a drawing of the scoop, experiment and you will be able to build my scoop and when you do, post it on this site and tell me how you like it.
HR
It didnt attach.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you blind and deaf ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread