went to Myrtle Beach for two days of detecting...

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Got there Wed. Afternoon, got a room hit the beach with my Whites DF. Finding lots of clad, two pair of sunglasses, a sterling bracelet, and a tungsten ring along with the usual trash. About three hours into hunt I dig the ring and I am thinking that this is going to be a really good day. Not five minutes later I step out of the surf, get a really good signal in the wet sand, dig a big scoop with my sunspot water scoop, throw it on the beach and...no signal. Target is gone. Can't find it anywhere. I wave my scoop over the coil, no signal at all. My DF is D.O.A. I am completely in shock. I do not even find the target, just go back to my hotel room and see if I can get it to work. No luck at all. On Thursday I get outside the hotel and the smoke from the Dare county forest fires, which are over a hundred miles away is so bad that I have to go up the coast about 50 miles to Wrightsville beach. Much better air. The only detector I brought with me is a Teknetics G2 that I had just got about a week ago for hunting the dry sand. It works in wet sand, but the depth was pityful. In the dry sand it was great. It will find the smallest targets, even the tiniest chewing gum foil. It locks on coins great. It did find lots of clad and a diamond earring stud (fake I am pretty sure), but it was deflating not to be in the water at low tide. So last night I ordered a Tesoro Sand Shark as a backup machine. I will not go to the beach again without a backup water machine. Who knows, the Sand Hark may become my top machine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Chris, you got to do a video on your new equipment. If I could figure out how to anchor it in the surf, I would never have to lose another target because it was too deep. I know you are working fresh water, but I need to see this equipment in action to figure out how to best take advantage of this equipment...HH brother!

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Hey thanks Chris. I can cut down on my learning curve greatly with just one video. Priceless learning! :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread