Scoop Advice

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering a new scoop primarily for use in the wet sand and water at beaches in Florida. Currently I have a Diamond Head, which I like, but it can get rather heavy, particularly on a long hunt. I want something lighter that can also breakdown for travel. I was considering the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" TRAVEL WATER SCOOP. The bucket is 6 " in diameter by 11" long, overall it is 48" in length, and weights in at 4.5 pounds. It breaks in the middle so it can fit in a suitcase. This seems like it could be a winner.

http://www.rtgscoops.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

Does anyone have experience with this scoop and/or other recommendations?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would suggest the Sunspot Stealth but since your going to travel and hunt dry sand mostly the wire basket scoops are the way to go because sand sifts lots faster thru wire baskets. http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm I like the Beachmaster because of the foot brace but it doesn't break down. Most of the two piece handles freeze up anyway and you need a vise to loosen them again.

Attachments

• Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 759
  • Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 754
OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Normally I would suggest the Sunspot Stealth but since your going to travel and hunt dry sand mostly the wire basket scoops are the way to go because sand sifts lots faster thru wire baskets. http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm I like the Beachmaster because of the foot brace but it doesn't break down. Most of the two piece handles freeze up anyway and you need a vise to loosen them again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I am looking for something primarily for the water and wet sand. I just updated the original post to differentiate. :)

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony,

I have the RTG Pro 6" Aluminum scoop in non-breakdown form. I like it a lot, it has a nice big basket and will get most targets with one scoop. The only thing I don't like is that although it sifts fast, the holes are pretty large and anything smaller than a dime will go through. I have a heck of a time with smaller earings, etc. I was thinking of adding a piece of screen in the bottom, but then it wouldn't sift as fast :dontknow: Other than that, I like it a lot and it is very light weight.

HH,
Aaron

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stpauli914 said:
Tony,

I have the RTG Pro 6" Aluminum scoop in non-breakdown form. I like it a lot, it has a nice big basket and will get most targets with one scoop. The only thing I don't like is that although it sifts fast, the holes are pretty large and anything smaller than a dime will go through. I have a heck of a time with smaller earings, etc. I was thinking of adding a piece of screen in the bottom, but then it wouldn't sift as fast :dontknow: Other than that, I like it a lot and it is very light weight.

HH,
Aaron

Aaron, I put aluminum gutter screen on the bottom, 1/3 of my scooop to catch earrings......I have the RTG 6" non breakdown scoop as my loaner / backup scoop, it is a good scoop, but the 6" is alful small working the water, my current scoop is the Beachbrute and it is 8.5 inches wide......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice for traveling. The SS tip is what makes that scoop, I would recommend that be put on....I have found only a few scoops I like, and this is one.... a few issues with the handle but fixed it with a helicoil.

Recommend the Diablo, but it will not be out for at least another month, the price is more..... the aluminum is under 4 lb..size is 13 long ...7.5 wide..hits very deep and a pleasure to carry, the SS model is just under 5 lbs..titanium is in the works, hope to have one in a few weeks, just got 2 skins done, same design guessing in the 4 lb range and strong

Attachments

• SNAG-0006.jpg
    SNAG-0006.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 577

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This scoop is a fantastic choice! My buddy has it and takes it to the Caribbean with him. Go for it!

Tony in FL said:
I am considering a new scoop primarily for use in the wet sand and water at beaches in Florida. Currently I have a Diamond Head, which I like, but it can get rather heavy, particularly on a long hunt. I want something lighter that can also breakdown for travel. I was considering the RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" TRAVEL WATER SCOOP. The bucket is 6 " in diameter by 11" long, overall it is 48" in length, and weights in at 4.5 pounds. It breaks in the middle so it can fit in a suitcase. This seems like it could be a winner.

OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stpauli914 said:
Tony,

HH,
Aaron

I appreciate the insight. Small items falling through the 5/8" holes is a concern of mine was well. I noticed RTG also has a similar version with an aluminum screen: RTG PRO ALUMINUM-SCREEN BOTTOM 6" WATER SCOOP that seems interesting. Although I did not see an ALUMINUM-SCREEN version of the one that breaks down. Of course I wonder if the ALUMINUM-SCREEN option becomes a weak link making it a better idea to simply rig some screening to the bottom of the regular one. I noticed they can also add a SS tip for extra strength to the one you have. Any signs of the aluminum tip on yours getting too much wear and tear?

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet Tony. The beaches I dig don't have too much real coarse gravel so it has been ok. I don't have a ton of hours on it yet though....

Aaron

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added the SS lip to my Beachbrute II made by RTG......It makes a big difference, if you dig where there is any hard shells, you want to add it before there is any damage to the lip of the scoop, if you wait till after the damage is done to the scoop, then you will always have a problem with the damage area, put it on before the damage you will never have a problem.... I have seen Florida's beaches bend and tear up an aluminum scoop lip.....

Now with the SS lip, I am digging in the hard shell packed beaches and there is no damage at all to the lip of my scoop, you have the strength of the SS lip with out the weight of an all SS scoop......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the RTG pro and I cut out a piece of screen slightly larger than the diameter of the scoop. I just push it down to the bottom and it holds itself in place. It still sifts sand in the water quick. When I'm hunting a beach where shells clog it up, I just pull out the screen. I really like this scoop.

rey914v8

Mar 25, 2011
Silicon Valley
Detector(s) used
Silver umax + 12x10
I have one of these would like to sell $100 shipped.
RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP with SS Tip let me know. :icon_sunny:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rey914v8 said:
I have one of these would like to sell $100 shipped.
RTG PRO ALUMINUM 6" WATER SCOOP with SS Tip let me know. :icon_sunny:
Is it the two piece model? Great deal either way.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony in FL said:

I really like the "RTG PRO ALUMINUM-SCREEN BOTTOM 6" WATER SCOOP (#RTG6scr)"
I already have 2 scoops but I might have to add a third to my arsenal. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
biggmike said:
Tony in FL said:

I already have 2 scoops but I might have to add a third to my arsenal. :icon_pirat:

I was eyeing that one too. I like the idea of a screen on the back but I wonder if that weakens the overall design since that is close to where one applies force for pushing the scoop into the sand.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony in FL said:
biggmike said:
Tony in FL said:

I was eyeing that one too. I like the idea of a screen on the back but I wonder if that weakens the overall design since that is close to where one applies force for pushing the scoop into the sand.
I was worried that the screen would be a weak point, thats why I went with the regular model and added a removable screen.

OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Nice for traveling. The SS tip is what makes that scoop, I would recommend that be put on....I have found only a few scoops I like, and this is one.... a few issues with the handle but fixed it with a helicoil.

Recommend the Diablo, but it will not be out for at least another month, the price is more..... the aluminum is under 4 lb..size is 13 long ...7.5 wide..hits very deep and a pleasure to carry, the SS model is just under 5 lbs..titanium is in the works, hope to have one in a few weeks, just got 2 skins done, same design guessing in the 4 lb range and strong

It looks like your aluminum RTG scoop (I assume the one with with the blue handle) has both the SS tip as well as the screen at the bottom (instead of hole punched aluminium). Do you feel the screen mesh is heavy duty enough to hold up against shells / rocks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread