Central Illinois beach finally gives up the gold...

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finally made it out to the beach at Clinton Lake yesterday for a bit of hunting. Didn't tell my wife that I was going, because she wanted me to do chores around the house... The nerve of some people, right? :tongue3: Anyway, after picking up my state permit, and paying my $1 admission fee, I finally made it to the waters edge.. Got the Excal turned on and tuned in and headed for the waist deep.. I have hunted this beach before without much success, but figured that since it was close by, and I was playing hookey from the wife,I would give it a shot...

I wasn't in the water for 2 minutes, when I got my first hit...

10K Men\'s Ring.JPG

First glance, I thought it was silver, but then realized that with my sunglasses on, it blanched out the color. Figured that this was a pretty good start to the day, and kept on working... Well, 3 hours later I had found a total of 5 dimes, 2 pennies, and this ring along with assorted trash...

Stopped at my local jewelers, who cleaned it up, and told me that the diamond (albeit small), was real, and the ring weighed in at approximately 6.8 grams. Said since it was 10K, that he would give me $70.00 for it in scrap weight. I told him that I would hold onto it until I got a few more, and then bring them back...

Gonna head out tomorrow, if the wife will let me off restriction for playing hookey... :dontknow:

Upvote 0

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocaliman said:
Stopped at my local jewelers, who cleaned it up, and told me that the diamond (albeit small), was real, and the ring weighed in at approximately 6.8 grams. Said since it was 10K, that he would give me $70.00 for it in scrap weight. I told him that I would hold onto it until I got a few more, and then bring them back...

First :wav: CONGRATS!!!!

Second, Never sell to someone offering 50% value. ARA will pay about $130 for that ring and send you the diamond back.

Weight of Alloy 6.80 Grams - 4.37 Dwts - 0.219 Troy Ozs
Alloy Gold of 0.417 Purity
Weight of Metal 0.091 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
Price Used 1,543.60 USD / Troy Oz
Value of Metal $140.74 USD

I usually save up about $500 - $800 worth then send it in. Good Luck. There's more out there. Mike

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty, Ocalaman :headbang:

Check out ARA Refineries .

Lorraine

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
biggmike said:
Ocaliman said:

Second, Never sell to someone offering 50% value. ARA will pay about $130 for that ring and send you the diamond back.

I usually save up about $500 - $800 worth then send it in. Good Luck. There's more out there. Mike

Thanks for the "heads up" on this. Hadn't really given it much thought as to doing the math to see what the actual value was. I will do business with them when I get some more...

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now what you need to do is find a few that fit the Wife then your Honey do list will get Shorter!!!! Pretty soon She will start saying Where are you Hunting Today!!!! HH Chug

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations OCM! :headbang: Wow! :notworthy: I'm still swinging for my first ring, and I can only imagine the thrill. Thank you for sharing, and stop fibbing to the ol' lady! ;D :thumbsup:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocaliman said:

FYI: Less than the usual jeweler's markup............................

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Congrats on the gold and diamond ring! :icon_thumright: Now repeat after me: I will not fib to the wife. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ocaliman

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I will not fib to the wife.I will not fib to the wife.I will not fib to the wife.I will not fib to the wife.I will not fib to the wife. :laughing7: :laughing7:

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yagershots

Jun 2, 2011
North East
biggmike said:
Ocaliman said:

Awesome ring... When you say ARA do you mean:

American Recycling Associates
2431 Walnut Ridge St.
Dallas, TX 75229

Thanks

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ring... When you say ARA do you mean:

American Recycling Associates
2431 Walnut Ridge St.
Dallas, TX 75229

Thanks

That is them and they are the best IMO. Call them before you ship and they will be glad to fill you in on all the details.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just went to Clinton lake today, I recently got an ace 250. Only found 2 dimes 2 pennies and a matchbox car. You must of cleaned em out.. did you comb the whole beach ? Or Just go for water? I live in urbana if you ever want some company, happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread