went fishing for idi_ _ s

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to share this one . I was a local beach chest deep metal detecting yesterday (probably thinking how we the human race because of our intelligence are one step above all other creatures) when some guy comes over looks at me holding my detector and says " Hey buddy, are you SURE that they allow you to FISH here ? Has anyone else here had dumb things like that said to them ?

Upvote 0

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The city pays me to scare the sharks away, this is my Shark Discombobulater."

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
That's a good one. lol

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I get a kick out of people trying to talk to me while detecting. Now, I can hear a little of what they are saying with my headphones on, but, normally, when I see someone with very large, ear covering headphones on I think to myself, "They have headphones on, so they probably can't hear me, so I will gesture that I wish to speak to them, because they have headphones on". :D

I had someone ask what I was hearing. I told them I was listening to "Queen".

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are up to your eyeballs in the water and they ask you if the detector is water proof. I always answer " I hope so!"

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumb ones I get at the beach

Tourist: Do you ever find anything with that?
Response: Never I just like taking it for a walk so it doesn't get dusty.

tourist: Whats the most expensive thing you ever found?
Response: A penny but hopefully soon a nickel so I can step up soon doing this.

Tourist: What's the best thing you ever found on the beach?
Response: Well she was 23 but my wife doesn't like me talking about her anymore!

Tourist: Can I try your detector
Response: Sure give me $2,000 in cash and you can try it all you want.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
herb n surf said:
I have to share this one . I was a local beach chest deep metal detecting yesterday (probably thinking how we the human race because of our intelligence are one step above all other creatures) when some guy comes over looks at me holding my detector and says " Hey buddy, are you SURE that they allow you to FISH here ? Has anyone else here had dumb things like that said to them ?

LMAO! :laughing7: :headbang: :hello2:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
You are up to your eyeballs in the water and they ask you if the detector is water proof. I always answer " I hope so!"
I get asked that all the time. The next time Im going to say "No".

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Tell them you are with the "bomb squad". That may give you a little more undisturbed detecting time :wink:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
A few years ago I was out in chest deep water and a park ranger drove down on the beach and called me out of the water... he told me someone said I was clamming without a permit... ;D when he saw my detector he apologized and left...

herb n surf said:

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Crackerjohn, they do all that and you still metal detect ? lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crackerjohn said:
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR METAL ? , DOES THAT THING FIND ANYTHING ? , THEY MAKE THOSE WATERPROOF ? , HAVE YOU EVER FOUND ANYTHING WITH THAT, DO YOU EVER FIND GOLD WITH THAT ?, THOSE GUY'S FIND MORE DIAMOND RINGS, & ..................., I GET THE KIDS THAT THROW SAND ON ME , DIVE DOWN INTO THE HOLE IM DIGGING, GRAB MY SCOOP AND PUT THEIR HAND IN IT TO GRAB WHAT I FOUND, TRY TO GRAB THE THE DETECTOR OR SCOOP, STEP ON MY COIL, FOLLOW ME, CONSTANTLY ASK ME WHAT DID YA FIND, CAN I TRY THAT ? ,AND I TELL THEM FROM THE GET GO PLEASE GIVE ME SPACE AND DONT GET TOO CLOSE IF I FIND SOMETHING I'LL SHOW YA(YEAH RIGHT) , THEN I GET THE ADULTS WHEN I FIND SOMETHING I TRY TO BE DISCRET AND THEYVE BEEN WATCHING ME SCREAM FROM A DISTANCE AWAY HEY WHAT DID YOU FIND !!!!! , LET ME SEE!!!! LET ME SEE!!! THEN I GOT THE WHOLE BEACH LOOKING AT ME
I think Ive had all that happen to me and Ive only been water detecting for three months. I know "Hunt when the people are not there", but I love the bikinis. :laughing7:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I just respond in French. Then their faces go blank.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I was out yesterday and a guy asked, very cocky, "What? You find pennies and nickles with that?" I said, "No, I usually find a bunch of diamond rings and necklaces".
Unfortunately I only find pennies and nickles.

My wife told me a good one, "No, I'm looking for a bunch of drug needles that were dropped here." "What's that by your foot?".

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Montauk3 said:

Hmm.. :dontknow: When I respond in French, they usually just start laughing.. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
Haha, I've been thinking about trying that. My luck they would also speak French and my plan would be sunk. LOL

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see....

Did you find any fish hooks? I ignored that one.

In the water, an Asian woman standing 5 ft from me. Are you looking for sharks? :icon_scratch:

A man w/his wife probably in their 50's asked me what are you looking for?
I responded with "gold and silver".
With a puzzled look, he asked "from where, from when?"
Me: "Uh, from last weekend, from yesterday."
It took a few seconds, but he realized I was looking for lost gold and silver jewelry and not the natural occurring kind. :laughing9:

A woman watched me dig a target in the wet sand. After I recovered it, she asked what it was. I told her it was junk. Without missing a beat, she asked "is that what you're looking for?" ???

And of course, the BEEP BEEP BEEP thing never gets old. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread