need tips hunting creeks with land detector

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have a really nice spot to hunt in a creek where a very old bridge used to stand that a lot of activity went on around. My problem is that I only have a land detector and I find it exceedingly difficult to dig targets while keeping my detector dry. The creek is very shallow where I am hunting. Im looking for any suggestions, maybe a stand I can fashion out of household materials or perhaps some sort of strap I could fasten to my belt to hold the detector up while Im digging. I realise I should get a water detector and hope to eventually but not this week. Any suggestions or advice would be warmly appreciated...shoot

Upvote 0

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Put a strap on it ware it around your neck.
Get a scoop to dig with. I did it for years.
HH Jim

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be looking at a water detector for that site, I bought one, but it would overload on every nail. Water detectors are best for sites with sparse finds, not pile of nails everywhere. I take my DFX into lakes and I haven't dropped it, but you have to be slow in movements and make sure to have a hand on the detector at all times. If the stream is rocks (like mine are) you're gonna need a shovel and a floating sifter (you can make it yourself or buy one). I also fashioned a vinyl bag to put over the top of my DFX to make it water resistant. It needs some work, but it keeps water out if I were to accidentally drop it. I don't use a strap because I switch up hands in order to dig and if I were to trip, I wouldn't be able to save the MD. Good luck, the hardest sites are always the best

HH
-GC

AdamBuchanan

Jun 22, 2010
Keystone Heights, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my dad and I have hunted many small areas of water as described, my dad and I have used 5 gallon buckets with the bottoms converted with wire mesh to use as a sifter and use small shovels to scoop and sift into your bucket, this has been a pretty easy and reliable way to find targets, another option is invest in an underwater scoop while keeping your machine strapped to your non digging arm, hope these help and good luck !

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt rivers and lakes exclusively. My detector is an Ace 250. I use leg waders, a pouch for goodies and trash and a wonder bar or pry bar (curved on one end and flat edge on other end) The curved end works well in pulling rocks and raking them out of the way, straight end for prying and digging. Gloves are a must for you will turn your hands into hamburger meat without them! I locate my target, set my feet, hold my detector in right hand and dig with left. I then lay bar down across my left foot (painting your bar yellow helps to see it in the water) then grab a handful of dirt and gravel and continue this until target is found. Hope this helps, goodluck! Detectahead

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago there were no water detectors, sometimes we would float them with the housing on an inner tube and detect. A good scoop however is a must.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would Highly recommend going the 40 dollar route. Most ordered online and you can have it in less then a week, then your Explorer II will be fully water proof, from rain or submerged. A excellent machine for fresh and saltwater hunting.

1....You can go the cable clams from a boating store which all you need is the one large one because you can run 2 wires thur it, your coil cable and your head phones, 22 dollars.
Or you can order from Digikey the Bulkhead cable grips, $3.oo dollars each and you will need 2.

2..next the waterproof bag,Called DRYpaK 12x16inch's..will run you around 20 dollars, Amazon..or Bass Pro, Similar.. 34.oo
http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Mult...7C/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1311440913&sr=8-11

3..BackPak walmart..$5.oo

Attachments

• Frankensovereign (2).jpg
    Frankensovereign (2).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 192
  • Backpack Frank .jpg
    Backpack Frank .jpg
    63 KB · Views: 200
  • SNAG-0002 (2).jpg
    SNAG-0002 (2).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 215
  • cable grips bulkhead wp.jpg