Interesting Finds on Kariyushi Beach, Okinawa

MarkTwa8n

Greenie
Mar 28, 2011
Last night I went hunting at Kariyushi Beach. The tides were against me, but I hunt whenever I can, and if that means hunting the dry sand at high tide, I'll take it. I called Bobbypins during the day, who grumbled about hunting at high-tide, but still had some interest in hunting that night. But when 8:00PM rolled around, I couldn't reach him on his phone. His family just came back from the States, so I understand that he has his hands full. I just say this because I missed him. It is never as much fun hunting alone as it is with a good hunting buddy.

My first few times hunting at Kariyushi beach were dismal. The dry sand was packed rather hard since the clean up crews drive all over the beach. If anyone drops a ring on the beach it is like dropping it on cement. It doesn't sink into the sand very well and it easy to find. Having said that, the last time I hunted here with Bobbypins, I found a nice Platinum wedding band an inch down in the hard packed sand. Surely the water holds a lot of treasure, but it isn't easy to get to when you are hunting at high tide. Also this beach has about 100 aluminum beach chairs set up that sound loudly in my headphones whenever I get anywhere near them. I didn't find much in the dry sand until I got the idea to move the chairs out of the way, search the spot beneath them, and then return the chairs. Is this cheating? It was a lot of work, but I managed to find 3,600 yen ($40) in Japanese clad and two tungsten rings. But it wasn't fun. I felt more like a maid finding coins in the sofa cushions instead of a treasure hunter.

Right next to the beach is a big rock, about the size of a three story building. Everytime I came here, I only hunted around the swimming and Volleyball areas. I never thought to hunt around the rock. in the image below, you can see the hotel on the hill, the beach and the huge rock.
beach_photo01.jpg

I headed over there and nearly had a heart attack. On a tree branch, just above my head, three giant fruit bats were hanging upside down. As soon as I got close to them, they dropped and flew away, nearly knocking me over. Imagine three pit bulls with wings coming at you. Once I regained the ability to breath, I hunted around the sandy areas of the rock. Lots and lots of can slaw and condom wrappers everywhere. Then I got a 80 reading on my At Pro. Usually 81 is a common Japanese 10 yen coin, so I was expecting that, but what I scooped up was a very old Japanese copper coin with a square hole. I know that many of the hunters up on mainland Japan, find these often, and they are not worth anything, but still it was a huge thrill for me. I searched around in the same area and found a 83 reading, and again I found another similar coin. I haven't identified them yet. I'll photograph and post more about them after I talk with the local coin dealer.

But what really made the night exciting was a few minutes later. I got a very faint whisper of a high tone. 88 on the ATPro. Nearly always that is a silver ring, so I scooped carefully. It was pretty deep in the stony sand; about 9 inches down. But it wasn't a ring. It was wrapped in some slimy material. Maybe originally leather? It smelled awful, but once I got it free I was delighted. Check it out, a small silver compass, which still works.
SilverCompas1.jpg

SilverCompas2.jpg

It isn't marked silver anywhere that I can see, but it was black when I found it and it polished like silver. What is incredible is the hand engraving. The Japanese kanji characters on the compass dial depict North, South, East, and West, which at least tells us that it is a Japanese artifact. I heard from the locals that this rock had a machine gun nest at the top during the war, but it was quickly cleaned up by the marines when they arrived in April of 1945. I wonder if one of those Japanese soldiers dropped it.....? I am just guessing that the compass is from that time, but who knows. The coins are probably far older, so probably not related, though it is interesting that the compass was much deeper in the sand than the coins.

In any case, it was a memorable hunt, and I bet Bobbypins is kicking himself for not picking up his phone. :)

Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Quite a hunt .Nice find :hello2:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great story and congratulations on your finds.
Some interesting thoughts on the compass.....WWII??
Gold Nuggets :hello:

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
I love the Okinawa stories since I spent 18 months there 40 years ago-pre detecting. Actually, I did have a White's back then but didn't take it with me when the Army sent me orders. Sounds WW II to me also, but a gorgeous piece. Definitely a keeper. The square hole coins were often carried as lucky pieces also, or tied to items as decoration. Old sewing baskets would have a design of beads, some bakelite-like, loops, and the coins tied to the lids.

HH Magjm

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mark, Thank you for sharing your adventure! What a great find, story and pics! "Pit Bulls with wings," wholly moelly! :headbang: :hello2:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, perhaps they were dropped by a soldier as you suspect.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Sorry Ron... In preparation for a late night of hunting, I overslept. Those late day naps get ya sometimes.

Anyhow... that's some great finds. I do like that compass, and if I had to guess, I'd say it was from WW2. You should post those old copper coins.

I'm sure Kariyushi has some great stuff in the water. I'm wanting to take my son out for some water hunting or dry sand hunting. He just wants to get out. We'll have to get together for an easy beach hunt down south somewhere. Whuddya say?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Well written story and nine finds too. Congrats! :icon_thumright:

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Have you ever talked to the guys at the Okinawa museum? I went on a cave tour with MWR and we went to the museum. Lots of really neat relics in there. It's run by a bunch of old salts.
Great find!!

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!
2bits

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! I'd bet too, that it was lost in the war. The opportunity to hold history in your hand is what I love about this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread