Dog tags

Kage

Aug 7, 2007
Dog tag's

Hi all.
What's the best way to return lost military dog tag's. With what look's
s like a Soc. Sec. # and name I would myself be in a minor/MAJOR panic!!! So should I contact the local recruting office? Don't no/say what branch of millitary they were in, but I found them within 20' of other so I think their real Also they appear to be SS I think. Would really like to R T O. Thanks

Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Dog tag's

I was told the numbers are military not SS. I'm returning one today . Use the internet to narrow search

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Military service numbers on Dog Tags used to be 7 numbers for Navy personel and 8 numbers for all others. These may have changed since I was in , I might forget my name but I can't forget my service number.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Kage:
Tags came with SS numbers or Service #s or without either (some WW I circular tags, for example).
Some came with next of kin address; others didn't. Some showed date of tetanus shot; some didn't.
A pic of your tag OR a full description would be helpful.
Don.....

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Les West Central Fl said:
Military service numbers on Dog Tags used to be 7 numbers for Navy personel and 8 numbers for all others. These may have changed since I was in , I might forget my name but I can't forget my service number.
How could you forget 11 weeks of POUNDING it in!!! 41 yrs. and still recall mine,think it was permanently etched into my brain!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Please post a photo.

I found and was fortunate to return a WW2 dog tag to the widow (she turns 90 this year..I hope she doesn't mind me spilling the beans).

It was made of aluminum I believe. I've found some new jewelery dog tag look alikes in SS.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread