My most meaningful return yet

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
7a86dd29.jpg

Two evenings ago I hit a beautiful and very popular beach to detect with my hunting partner. The weather was perfect, the water calm, and the sun dropping in the sky through a few clouds made for a spectacular visual treat.

Targets were few. In the 2.5 hours we hunted, I found only a few coins, a bellybutton jewel thingy, and the dog tag pictured above. The dog tag has a soldier's name, his birth date "1988-07-05", "19D CAV. SCOUT", and the date he was killed "2011-06-26". It is a memorial dog tag, for a young man who gave his life serving his country, who died 9 days before his 23rd birthday.

I googled the soldier's name, and in reading through the many articles about his death, I came across a photo of his mother and his wife standing at the funeral service. Around his wife's neck is what looks to be this very same dog tag. A little more research and I had a phone number for his mother so I called. His mother informed me that her daughter-in-law had been to this beach two days prior to my finding the dog tag, and must have lost it while swimming.

I will be mailing the dog tag to the mother today.

What a sobering reminder of the horrors of war. My 10 year old son has never known a time when the United States was not in two or three wars. I don't have any solutions to offer, but this has got to end. We need to bring our troops back home before any more leave their families and loved ones grieving.

Jim

Upvote 0

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a touching story and thank you for sharing . :icon_silent:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Great Return, Jim!

Sometimes people ask me why I detect....you've got the answer there in your post.

FINDING something significant ... RESEARCHING the find ... RETURNING the find (yeah, sometimes KEEPING it too)j.

It doesn't get any better than that. Gotta LOVE this hobby!

HH Joe

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the Father of a soldier who has done 3 combat tours, I can tell you your kindness will never be forgotten.

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful story, T4M....and how wonderful that you were able to track down the wife of this soldier who gave his life for our freedom!

Congratulations to you on a fine job!

Lorraine

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what is all about...may not be gold but a very golden thing to do, I too found a WWII vet dog tag that I am researching, hope to get back to the family soon!! Thanks to our soldiers and to you!!!

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 275

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returns like these are what it is all about. That family will never forget your kindness. :thumbsup:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Great story nice read. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread