Anyone encounter sharks?

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No effect , It just swam right by.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had 2 coil bites this week.In the past 5 years I've been chased out of the water twice by Bull sharks and Tiger sharks.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil bites?! That can't be good for the coil!

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Last year I also had a small shark go after my coil. It was very, very persistent. I thought it was attracted to the coil by the radio frequencies.....

The shark was small enough (1 1/2 foot or so) that I wasn't threatened by it, but it sure made me think about sharks (bigger ones!) being attracted to the coil.

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, can you post some pics? Is love to see what the coil looks like after a couple shark bites!

Safe and happy hunting,
Aaron

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Had one about 3 1/2 foot go by last week. Always wondered about the attraction to the electrical pulse signal.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
I have had 2 coil bites this week.In the past 5 years I've been chased out of the water twice by Bull sharks and Tiger sharks.

OK Ron.... You can't say something like that and not tell us more. Coil bites and Tiger sharks??? Tell us the story...

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them most every time I go out ... Most people are under the misconception that you're not at risk during the day. Sharks feed all day. Prime feeding times are dusk, morning and evening. You're just as much at risk of an attack during the day, as you are at night. Here on the gulf coast, we're the shark bite capital of the world.

As a retired fishing charter captain, we've caught sharks up to 16 foot - all within site of the beach.

Bulls, Tigers, Hammers, Reef, Nurse, Lemons, to name but just a few.

Carry a dagger and a bigger than thou attitude -- you'll be fine. :tongue3:

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
While in Floirida, East coast I have had them Bump into me more then a few times.

Never seen them coming just going away.

Some 4-6ft.

Wizzing in the Water is like ringing the dinner bell! ;D

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately the only sharks i have been seeing are those dang sand sharks (Tesoro) :tongue3:They are every were , :laughing7:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I'm alone in the water at 6am.. I feel like a shark is going to pick me off.. Doesn't help that the water is murky and you can't see the bottom in 2 feet of water..

I spray painted my water scoop black, just in case..

Holding a shiny object while in the water, is a bad idea.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks have been reported dragging hunters with detectors off of the beaches of Florida........ For your own safety if your a non-resident it is best to not bring your detector to Florida's beaches on vacation..... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Treasure_Hunter said:
Sharks have been reported dragging hunters with detectors off of the beaches of Florida........ For your own safety if your a non-resident it is best to not bring your detector to Florida's beaches on vacation..... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg
And if you look closely at the water over his right (our left) shoulder you'll make out the face of the detectorist he just had for lunch.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
I once saw a small seal Md'ing on the sand near some rocks. Yep, Jaws launched out and took it in one bite ( the coil) the seal just looked p'ed off and remarked that it must have been the discrimination.... so on outings don't dress like a seal or clap your hands together at finds ...you'll be ok.
On a serious note...I surf all the time and sharks are as prevalent as fish here so If they really had a taste for us we'd know it by now.....and don't believe the myth of Dolphins scaring them off...sharks often cruise under messy pods that feast on schools of fish. We mostly call them Noah's or Men in the grey suits.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions