Scoops in fresh water creeks

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know the details of that scoop, but you will need one made from stainless steel. You want it to be solid, not over-done with holes to weaken it. Rocks will really take a toll on your scoop. You will be pushing it through them, prying them with it, and generally abusing the heck out of it.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG makes some good scoops, some are stainless steel and some are aluminum and have stainless steel lips....What ever you do be sure you at least have a soop with a stainless steel lip. You will tear up a straight all aluminum scoop if it doesn't have a SS lip....

RTG will add a SS lip to the scoop if the one you like does not have it.......Stay away from any that are listed as sand scoops, they are meant for dry beach sand, you will tear them up in creeks.......

Aluminum scoops with Stainless steel lips
http://www.rtgscoops.com/rtgaluminumscoops.htm

Stainless Steel scoops
http://www.rtgscoops.com/rtgroyalscoops.html

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using an RTG 6inch travel monster for years and would recommend it to anyone. I see they don't have that as a travel scoop anymore, but they have the standard model.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll check them out. Jason are you a Christmas Pirate ;D

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, yeah. That was my Christmas avatar last year but I never changed it.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
The rocks destroy scoops and don't like to move for them either. I used an "entrenching tool" with a pick on one side and a shovel on the other and a Gad Bar for a long time. I would fan with the shovel side, pry small stuff with the pick side and use the Gad bar for the bigger rocks.

After wearing out a couple of the shovels I tried my Walco pick (it is for nugget hunting). I was worried that the water would ruin the handle, but so far it hasn't.

The Walco pick works great in rocks, you can pry with the sharp end or scrape with the wide end. (It isn't shaped right to fan with, you will just have to use your gloved hand.)

I use it on the dry beach and the in the mud too. Just don't get too carried away chopping the mud or you might cut a necklace in half!

I bought mine in Vegas from Doc at least 8 or 9 years ago. http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coiltek/coils4.html

Randyd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread