Coil Repair question and

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max I have had to repair a few coil ears before. I placed extra plastic outside of the ears and use a good epoxy like JB Weld to fasten to the ears and the coil itself for more strength. I enlarged the holes and use a toilet seat bolt for fastening. It is easier to drill out the plastic pieces before hand but then you still have to align them perfectly. After enlarging the shaft hole you need to replace the washers. I don't know why your coil wore on mainly one side like that.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like your idea of JB Weld but I think it would be good to reinforce it with fiberglass. You could either use fabric or cut up fibers mixed in with the JB Weld. After it sets up then shape it with a file or Dremel tool and re-drill the hole.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi max.. i had a simular situation years ago with a garrett coil... large coil with paper thin ears...anyway the way we fixed it was to make a pair of pvc washers the same diameter as the coil ear and then sand both surfaces and glue them together with pvc cement just like they use for plumbing...only thing is your pvc washers have to be kinda thin... other option might be to build up both ears to an acceptable thickness which will hold up to northern surf conditions but at that point you would probably have shave some skin off the lower shaft to allow it to fit.......good luck...

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the battery info. I don't know how to fix that coil. I would probably sell some of that yellow and buy a new one. But I know you like to fiddle with stuff. So I hope you get it repaired.

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send an email to the company and show them the damage. Ask them what is the best repair epoxy to use. Plastics have different compositions and if you use the wrong stuff, you could have a bigger mess than what you have now.

OP
OP
gravediggermax-vabeachva

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting