Shallow Water Hunting Is A Challenge!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had my second time out today.
All I can say is ..WOW..what a workout.
I did not find much which surprised me. Nothing even worth posting.
But, the combo of swinging the detector in waist high water and carrying the steel scoop was exercise!
I did not count on there being that much resistance to the detector's motion; I can see why some are hip mountable now.

If you are complaining of the weight of your detector on land, I would not suggest swinging in thigh high/waist high water. It is not even close.
I could have detected for 6 hours on land with all the calories I burned, and never even came near the hand and arm fatigue.

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Shallow Water Lake Hunt

It can be a workout for sure. Not sure what kind of scoop you have but mine is also quite heavy after 6-8 hours and I stumbled onto another use for the add on handle backsaver handle for my scoop. I use a square wooden handle on my scoop and with the backsaver handle on it, the scoop can be rested on my shoulder with the backsaver handle on my chest. I could carry it around all day like that BUT not in a heavy surf. For fresh water or a light surf, only time I'd need to touch it was when I wanted to dig. Here is a photo of how it worked but in this one, I have my hand on it.... it wasn't needed, the added handle would rest right on my chest.

Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_5274sm.jpg
    IMG_5274sm.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 475

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started I felt the same way. The more you water hunt, the easier it will get. You have to slow down, and the deeper you go the easier it is to swing your detector. The first time I water detected I thought it might not be for me, but know I love it. I drag my scoop behind me with one hand and the weight is a non issue. I even drag it around on the dry beach. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll get used to it! Just hang in there, go slow, and work on your pinpointing and scooping skills. It WILL come!

Attachments

• intheh20.jpg
    intheh20.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 439

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on a lot of factors. If you are fighting strong waves, it can tire you out in hurry. If the waves are small, swinging the coil shouldn't wear you down. You have to learn how to "flow" through the water with your coil and your movements. A floating sifter can make things easier too as you don't have to shake-out every scoop.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I have found, I prefer a small coil and a big scoop (Diablo Aluminum) for this type of hunting.

Alittle OC shallow water hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread