beach detectors w target sizing .do they work to i.d. alum cans ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
sometimes i want to sand hunt only. problem is lots

of full size aluminum pop n beer cans buried whole.

my excal sure cant tell a deep quarter from a deep can.

my tesoro silver wont either.

i know several of the garrett machines have some type

of target size indicator.

who has used this ? can it be used to positvely id

alum cans w/o digging them?

some other old machines had a vesion of it too.

the whites silver eagle wuzzit ?

Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I raise my detector up about 10" above the sand and if the signal is still strong it's a can.

Have you tried this?

HH Joe

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent you a PM

Lorraine

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a Garrett 1500 and it would definitely ID cans and other oversize targets. However the tip about raising the coil with the Excal is right on. No need to buy another detector just to ID a can.

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
DrJoePrime said:
I raise my detector up about 10" above the sand and if the signal is still strong it's a can.

Have you tried this?

HH Joe
yes i have used this way and its a quick and dirty

solution.

however, in checking on my self at a nice beach.

digging a supposed BAD signal produced a very nice

seiko eco drive wristwatch with 44 diamond chips

which i ended up getting $120.00 for.just under the sand.

there are also some nice bracelets out there.

which we dont want to miss either. a good sizing

detector should show these items as a medium target

not large. and still be dug. also on a good day

depending on conditions my excal can see a surface quarter

at up to 2 feet.

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Can Slaw said:
I had a Garrett 1500 and it would definitely ID cans and other oversize targets. However the tip about raising the coil with the Excal is right on. No need to buy another detector just to ID a can.

now this is i guess.more of the type of response i was lookin

for. i should also have clarified that i meant DRY SAND ONLY.

MAYBE i should reprise this post and take it to the garrett.

forum. but then u dont really get a beach hunter view

on this.

so i ask. wouldnt a gti 2500 be a great choice for

dry sand beach hunting due to its sizing ability ?

should be an ez cruise in can infested beaches.

who has used one or a similar garret for this.

or other older detector that had some form of target sizing.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
You answered your own question! While hunting on a sandy beach dig everything.......... I dug a can on the beach in Pismo Beach CA one time and it ended up being a soda can bank used to fool people. It had a nice watch, a man's ring (silver) and paper money in it. Not only that but be a Good MDer and help clean up the beaches.

HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
scrounger, some machines tend to be "beep or no beep" type machines, with little tell-tale differences in the beep. But others give more sizing clues (broadness of beep, etc...), which ......... in my opinion ..... would give the same info as that the Garrett you inquire about.

In other words: yes, a full soda can might indeed give a quarter TID, right? But on a lot of machines, the size gives it away (even when the can is deeeep, you can still tell), as "non-commensurate" with quarter sized target. Other machines though, this distinction might not be pronounced, as they are just beep or no-beep machines.

As for the watch you found, that failed the "raising the coil" test (ie.: sounded like a can based on your raising the coil-test, yet turned out to be a valuable watch), I suspect that the Garrett would have simply failed the same test. It too would probably have told you that the target was bigger than a coin/ring sized target, and you would simply have been in the same predicament. The fact that the watch was smaller than a can sized target might make you think the can would have fallen into some mid-size-range (and thus not as big as can-sized). But I don't think the Garrett machine has any sort of "magic bullet" in that dept, any-more-so than using one's ears (with machines that allow it via audio). For example: there's probably cans that could've read in the mid-size range too, if they were crushed or standing in a certain way, etc.... Also a pocket-spill of coins might give the "large target" signal.

I would learn to compare all-metal vs disc. sound, raise the coil test, etc.... and use my ears, rather than trust a computer to make that decision for me.

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA said:
scrounger, some machines tend to be "beep or no beep" type machines, with little tell-tale differences in the beep. But others give more sizing clues (broadness of beep, etc...), which ......... in my opinion ..... would give the same info as that the Garrett you inquire about.

In other words: yes, a full soda can might indeed give a quarter TID, right? But on a lot of machines, the size gives it away (even when the can is deeeep, you can still tell), as "non-commensurate" with quarter sized target. Other machines though, this distinction might not be pronounced, as they are just beep or no-beep machines.

As for the watch you found, that failed the "raising the coil" test (ie.: sounded like a can based on your raising the coil-test, yet turned out to be a valuable watch), I suspect that the Garrett would have simply failed the same test. It too would probably have told you that the target was bigger than a coin/ring sized target, and you would simply have been in the same predicament. The fact that the watch was smaller than a can sized target might make you think the can would have fallen into some mid-size-range (and thus not as big as can-sized). But I don't think the Garrett machine has any sort of "magic bullet" in that dept, any-more-so than using one's ears (with machines that allow it via audio). For example: there's probably cans that could've read in the mid-size range too, if they were crushed or standing in a certain way, etc.... Also a pocket-spill of coins might give the "large target" signal.

I would learn to compare all-metal vs disc. sound, raise the coil test, etc.... and use my ears, rather than trust a computer to make that decision for me.

in a few months i will be at panama city beach.

looks like water hunting is basically over here due to cooler

temps.

i just know that it is soooo trashy there thay detecting

is very hard.

so far on 2 visits the warning flags have been up

which kept me out of the water.

with that much trash on the beach i dont really like my

chances in the surf anyway.

as for being a good samaritan and removing trash ur prob talkin

50 to 70 cans per hour.

many buried 18 to 20 inches.

no ur not gonna diggem.

i think mebbe the resorts there cover the junk with a layer

of clean sand every so often which would be easier than

trying to pick up.

there are waste receptacles everywhere but th party crowd

seems happier trashing th beach. except for an occasional

"basketball shot" which most often misses, the trashcans

are not used.grrrrrrrrrrr

good thing dumb drunk people lose valuables.

i was just trying any solution. i have quite a few detectors

maybe ill experiment how they sound on cans vs coins.

but not the tesoro. its beep is pretty basic.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrounger, I've got bad news for you, it ain't the machine. You're Excal can tell the difference between a deep quarter and a deep can. It's you that can't tell what the machine is telling you. Our group just had a discussion about this very topic. Survey says: Experienced Excal/SovGT users can tell what the target will be before they dig with roughly 90% accuracy. One step further, some users can tell you what brand of beer a bottle cap will be. Yes, they give off different tones, including one brand that gets dug regulary for masking as gold.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Maybe the Excal isn't for you, but our group has no problem distinquishing between things so disimilar as soda/beer cans and a quarter. For more help post to the Jersey Shore Surf and Beach Hunters MD Face Book page. The two go-to machines in use there are EXcals and GTs. There isn't a dirtier beach, metal trash wise, than AC. From pull tabs to 150 year old steel pier parts, these hunters, using EXcals and GTs, see thru that heap of trash to find the good stuff. Check'em out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread