Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's not feasible, pirateJoe.

The groove is precision matched to the exact "o"-ring cross section diameter. Your best bet is to keep a spare "o"-ring and watch the original one for wear and nicks. Also make sure the groove is clean of sand...always.

HH Joe

OP
OP
piratejoe

piratejoe

Jul 21, 2011
Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum w/950, Surfmaster PI
Thx, I do have a brand new one from Whites. Will keep it as backup.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your new O ring from White's orange? This is the newer one. Best to use a Q tip and clean out the grove, then coat the O ring with silicone grease and insert it. Apply a tiny bit more grease. Only use silicone grease as many others will harm the O ring and allow water to enter. :coffee2:

OP
OP
piratejoe

piratejoe

Jul 21, 2011
Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
Sandman, I bought a Surfmaster PI plus.
Whites in FLorida tracked down the o-ring I needed as being black.
The one that came with it appears in very good shape. I have a backup now.

I followed some other advice and cleaned all around it very good with a soft brush.
Case edge and lid. Inserted a new silica. Spray tested it and looks good to go.

Gonna get it wet Wed down here in Key West.

My friend told me of a married couple she saw fighting on the beach a month ago,
she took off her ring and threw it at him. Their little son picked it up and slipped it on
his finger, went to play in the water and lost it.

Is a Plat with a big ruby in it. Wish me luck, it could be my first big water find.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
if its not to late, spray testing ....you spray it off after the hunt..a hockey puck of silicone before the hunt :read2: :thumbsup:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have 2 White's Surfmaster PIs, and one has an orange O ring I bought the detector new at least 15 years ago, and I bought a used one about 10 years ago and it has a black O ring. It is a newer unit. Both detectors have been well over 100' deep in the ocean, used many times diving and surf wading, and dry land. Never one problem with either unit. Just get some silicone grease at the dive shop or pool store and clean the groove and O ring as stated before, and make sure there is no sand, then take a small blob of grease and rub the O ring between your fingers while pulling it through your fingers with other hand. get it nice and shiny, but not thick, just oily looking. Place it carefully back in the ring groove and carefully close it, and looking at the O ring while you clamp it shut. All underwater cameras and detectors you have to do this to.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, PLEASE follow stevemc's advise for lubing the O-ring. Putting on too much silicone will not help it seal better. If the o-ring is bad, the water pressure will just push the silicone through with the water. Too much silicone will also become a magnet for sand, dirt, hair, and everything else that will ruin the seal on the unit.

OP
OP
piratejoe

piratejoe

Jul 21, 2011
Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
Thx guys,
Will get some silicone grease and do as the salty dogs do!

OP
OP
piratejoe

piratejoe

Jul 21, 2011
Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
Went to 3 places in town. No silicone grease per say.
Found a tube of "Super Reel Grease" with ptfe. For fishing reels.
On back states,

A synthetic grease imprevious to salt and fresh water. perfect for all marine hardware.
Forms air-tight barrier,prevents rust,corrosion.
Virtually eliminates all friction wear.
Contains no petroleum products.

Sounds pretty good to me.
What do ya'll think?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it will react with the material in your O-ring. It's good that it's not petroleum based, but I don't know that it's safe either. There are a lot of different materials O-rings can be made from.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any dive shop will have it, but it will cost more, and pool stores sell if for the big O ring and threads on the leaf basket on the pump. It is way less expensive at the pool store. I dont know about the reel grease. I know there are dive shops all over the Keys. And pool stores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread