Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is how it went down this morning when i reached out to the fellow that lost the ring, but first let me tell you something really K E W L
[size=10pt]he lost it 12 years ago about where i found it[/size].............how kewl is that and boy we hunt this block more than any other block on the whole ocean front.

now back to our conversation............not knowing he lost it 12 years ago, i said ....hey, u loose anything lately?.....u did go to vmi class of 97.........yes, i said, well where is your class ring, he says home on the dresser........i said u must have replaced it since i am holding one in my hand........he said he had, but might like to have the old one back as well.
he asked me what is it worth to me, i said.....no clue, scrap value around 1500 bucks at gold today....oh.......well i can not give u that for it, maybe 200.

i will keep you advised soon.

some guys wanted the sepro readings, so i have them here now.

Attachments

• 92710KSTAMP.jpg
    92710KSTAMP.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,162
  • BIGRING NO1.jpg
    BIGRING NO1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • BIGRING NO2.jpg
    BIGRING NO2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,169
Upvote 0

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is none of my biz, but if the replacement is the same. return the first one, scrap the copy, split the return. everybody wins

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure doesn't sound like he wants it back to me :( Maybe you should ask if you can trade him for his new one he had made(I'm guessing its a similar weight).

Aaron

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Kewl..12 years........same spot....Tuff call on this one, If he only had the one and lost it I would have no problem returning ............but I do think that if he wanted it back for sentimental reason he would offer the other in exchange. Almost like The Judgment of Solomon, If that one ring means that much to him tell him you will trade...Only If he agrees..give him both and take the two bills.

plumabob

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2003
I stopped returning rings long ago because of awkward situations like this. He already has had it replaced and doesn't sound too appreciative..... I'd keep it.

Another thought scrap it for $1500.00 and send him the $200.00

Bob

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 years ago the ring scraped out at $254 .today $1500,he didn't ask you to find it for him ,if he doesn't want to trade ,I guess the ring doesn't mean that much to him ,keep the ring!!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough call Max...he would probably keep the original ring, scrap the replacement and come out money ahead. I think I would keep the ring, scrap it and enjoy the proceeds....he already has a replacement and didn't sound very interested. Anyway, Good luck...whatever you decide to do.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read that VMI class rings have a (one) free ring replacement policy, through their Alumni Association.

Here is a quote from a VMI graduate answering someone's question about a stolen OCS class ring:

"Do you guys have a free replacement policy with the manufacturer? I know if I were to ever part ways with my (VMI) ring in any way, all I have to do is call our Alumni Association and I get one free replacement. It might be worth it to call the manufacturer and see as I'm sure that they'd have a similar policy for the service academies."

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a local reporter to do a story on the find and return of the ring - will get a lot of attention especially if the VMI grad is a Veteran - might story even get picked up by one of the network news outfits. I realize publicity may not always be a welcome thing, but it would show most MD'ers are good people in spite of what some of the general public thinks.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its his ring.....he doesnt have to offer a reward....if you keep it your breaking the law. With that said I think he should give you a large reward, and some people have made some good suggestions on what would be fair.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You contacted him -- not he you.

I would assume your contacting him to return his ring to him.

You've determined its his ring, now give it back, lest he says he does not want it.

If you didnt want to give it back, you should not have contacted him.

It makes no difference what it is worth, or if a reward is offered or not.

It started out as a good deed and should end that way.

My .02 -- It and $5.85 will buy a fresh pack of smokes.

h2ojunkie

Jul 7, 2010
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Excal II, DF
deepsecrets said:
Get a local reporter to do a story on the find and return of the ring - will get a lot of attention especially if the VMI grad is a Veteran - might story even get picked up by one of the network news outfits. I realize publicity may not always be a welcome thing, but it would show most MD'ers are good people in spite of what some of the general public thinks.

Yeah, that won't attract any undue attention from our exploding baby boomer generation on the fringe of retirement looking for a new hobby to occupy their "golden years". You think the beaches are busy now...just wait.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
DewGuru said:
You contacted him -- not he you.

I would assume your contacting him to return his ring to him.

You've determined its his ring, now give it back, lest he says he does not want it.

If you didnt want to give it back, you should not have contacted him.

It makes no difference what it is worth, or if a reward is offered or not.

It started out as a good deed and should end that way.

My .02 -- It and $5.85 will buy a fresh pack of smokes.

I agree with DewGuru 100%

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lookindown said:
Its his ring.....he doesnt have to offer a reward....if you keep it your breaking the law. With that said I think he should give you a large reward, and some people have made some good suggestions on what would be fair.

and if he wanted to get gnarly about it.... couldn't he already ask the law to obtain it back off you? He can obviously already prove it is his? Maybe he did not sound appreciative because you did not say " Hey I found your ring -come pick it up, any chance of a reward?

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davidfl said:
this is none of my biz, but if the replacement is the same. return the first one, scrap the copy, split the return. everybody wins

Ask the guy what he wants to do. It's his ring... If he has a new one (he may have got a free replacement that Aka Nameless wrote about) I would suggest to him that you could scrap this one and give him $750 bucks. With the economy the way it is he might jump all over that. The bottom line is he dropped it. You found it. It's his ring and he should be able to do whatever HE see's fit. I would do what davidfl said and throw the 50/50 thing at him. I have returned rings and got nothing for it but a thank you and I have returned them and got twice their value. davidfl returned a nice big class ring once and never even got a thank you LOL. You just never know. I'm sure you will do the right thing here. :icon_thumright:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing story.... 12 years..... i recently returned a 2011 class ring-not gold-... i got a thank you sir over the phone and a nice thank you card from the kids mom... i would have liked more but ,so what,a thank sir and card stiill had meaning and showed gratitude..... if i had found that beautiful ring i would have stuck it in my pocket and really thought long and hard as to what i was gonna do with it...... silver or any other less valuable metal i can return very easily,but gold always is much harder to part with or so i would assume as ive never found marked gold.....its a tuff dilema but im sure in the end both parties will gain something...... 200 scooters is 200 scooters...... hope it all works out....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max, since you contacted him that you found the ring, if he wants it you should just give it to him, free. To ask for money or a reward is extortion. Actually since he lost the ring 12 years ago and abandoned it, I figure it is yours but you will get good karma if you just give it up. However I try to forget that I am a goodie two shoes for giving things back. They wouldn't do it for me.......... :BangHead:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feels pretty cruel to me. Not everyone can come up with a wad of cash on short notice, and if you were just looking for money, why the heck contact him instead of just scraping it yourself. Been a fan but not so much now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread