May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My son did it... His first Pt900... and it's HUGE

Tonight was a group hunt with Soup (Rob), my son Kendall, and I at one of our local beaches. MarkTwa8n (Ron) should have showed up, but I guess something happened because he was a no-show.

The weather was nasty here last night... raining constantly for hours. But that's my kind of weather since we'll have the beach all to ourselves. :laughing9: But it was a good reason to pack the GoPro Hero in the waterproof case in the event something good happened... and it did.

So this post isn't about me today... instead, it's about my son. Now, you've seen my posts over the last couple of months with his meager finds. I can rack up a few thousand yen, and he might net a couple hundred. His newbie learning curve has been a long one, mostly because he has school during the week and I won't take him hunting with me other than on the weekends. That said, he only gets a few hunts in every month.

But tonight was the night for him. His last hunt scored him a nice fat silver ring (a first for him), and I could see that his swinging technique was improving, and the quality of his finds has been getting better and better.

The 3 of us were in the swimming area and my son was about 40' in front of me working towards my direction. As I'm swinging and doing my thing, I keep an eye on him to see how he's doing. I see him pull something out of his scoop, and really play with it close to his face.... then I mean he starts to haul ass over to me... water sloshing all around him as he's trying to overcome the knee deep water and get to me as quickly as possible.

I could tell he found something good. Personally, I thought it was a nice yellow gold ring.... but here's how it panned out.

[youtube=425,350]oD8ykg1aqZg[/youtube]

011-2.jpg

010-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

His yen count for the night turned out to be 777 ($10)

and he also found a 1.5 gram silver ring as well. It's funny how you can hunt for months looking for something good, and when you finally crack the barrier on it, you start to find it all the time. His first silver ring was last hunt, and he turns right around and finds another one tonight. Hopefully the platinum will start to be common practice too. The Japanese wear a lot of it.

Congrats Kendall. You put the time and effort into this hobby and you got a piece of what you were looking for. You earned it.

Upvote 0

Soup

Sep 26, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Re: My son did it... His first Pt900... and it's HUGE

Big congrats again Kendall!! It was fun besides all the rain....Glade you scored the big one...Can't wait to go out with you guy again.

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I tried to get your video up of your ring, but the quality is horrible for some reason. It's like I had a huge drop of water on the lens. I'll get it uploaded and send it to you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats to your son on the ring and congrats to you for getting him into this hobby. Keep diggin em. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice heavy Plat....Congrats!!!!

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:

$561.41 melt value.. :headbang: Good Job keep diggin n having fun! :thumbsup:

captaindoug

May 1, 2011

Congratulations Kendall. You are making many of us very envious. keep it up

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wise we could get more people wearing that bling around here. CaptainDoug.... didnt i talk to you a week or so back at Siesta Keys? I run into a hunter everynow and then that wants to talk..... most are to busy lol.

Dew

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kendall CONGRADS!!! At this rate you'll Make rookie of the year!!! :blob8:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All three of you guys had a great hunt in the rain. Sweet keepers
there Kendall....Congrats to you. Gold Nuggets :hello:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030

Well done Kendall!

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

Congrats to Kendall !!!!!

Keep the posts coming, it helps for those that are landlocked and about to enter the hibernation period..... until I found beach detecting, I used to love winter....

Cliff

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright! Big congrats! Just found one of those GoPro's this last season! Works great! Pat on the back to your son! :thumbsup:

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great score kendall proud of you man and you found something your uncle pip has not been able to find and i have been hunting for years stick with your dad and you will find enough for your first car while you are over there :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kendall, congratulations on a beautiful Platinum ring find! :hello2:

Lorraine

OP
OP
Bobbypins

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Kendall sends his thanks to everyone, so don't think your kudos go unnoticed. 8)

He's been on cloud 9 since then... constantly saying that he can't believe he found it. Having a great find like that (for a 15 year old) really makes you wonder what to do with it. Keep it? Cash it in?

I gave him his options... A ring like that doesn't buy you anything you want. It won't get a new game, nor will it get your girlfriend anything either. However, if you sell it now, the price might go up more... or it could go down more. It's a gamble either way.

Since I go to ARA in Dallas (that's where I live anyway) and sell my stuff to them when I'm home from Japan.... I made him a deal. I'll buy it from you today... give you exactly what Midwest Refineries would give you for it (Midwest only takes 10% on Pt), and I'll keep it in my box until I'm ready to sell my stuff. Then I'll send in all my Pt to Midwest and take everything else to ARA.

So he took the deal... and he got the clams in his hand. My hope is that he saves as much as possible for putting towards his car that he wants to buy next year when he gets his drivers license.... but we'll see. He made that comment anyway. And if the luck continues, he might have a nice chunk of change by then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread