Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I or some members of our club have been stopped at the beach or been called at home about a lost item. These people have told us where, when and how they lost the jewelry and if we could help them find it. I and most of my fellow hunters have gone out , found and returned the lost item. There are several people we do not share this information with because in the past they went and recovered the item then sold it for scrap , knowing who it belonged to.
My question is this: Do you consider this action, recover the item and selling it, proper or is it Finders Keepers?
I feel if this information is given to you it should be returned, it is not like finding jewelry and doing research to return it.

Upvote 0

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone tells me about something that was lost and I find it I will return it. I also will do my best to track down the owner of something that has a full name in it. Ray told me a few months ago about a fellow losing a gold band and he wasn't able to locate it. I searched the area the next day and didn't find it but had I have, it would have gone back to the owner. Theres plenty out there that is not able to be traced back that when we do find something that can be 100% traced back to the owner, I feel it is our duty to return it. Just my .02

Aaron

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a real scumbag to pocket a ring, to keep/sell/hoard it, knowing exactly who it belongs to. Thats completely different when you find a ring in your daily travels.

I've been approached any number of times by those who have lost an item, while I was hunting, asking for assistance in locating their lost item. I've always given it a go, when possible, to try and locate it. Some were successful, some were not.

Any time an item was not found, I would always tell them to post an ad on craigslist, lost and found, and if we come across it, we would have a way to contact them. In 99.9% of the cases, they never took my advice, and sure enough, within a day or three, we would locate the item. They didn't bother to make the post, no way to get in touch with them, and they lost their item.

Can't feel sorry for those guys -- you can't help those who can't help themselves.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No question . If you know the about the loss you should do the right thing and return it to the right full owner. There is no better reward then A grate full bride that has just been given back her wedding ring. We have seen all to many on this forum A tear and A big smile is worth more then any monetary reward. Other than that it just stealing.

Jonnie

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel this way too. A few months ago I found a class ring from a young girl. I found her on the internet but did not feel getting in touch with her would be appropriate. So I enlisted the help of a friend on here to help and the girl finally got back in touch with her, who got her in touch with me,, and then I was able to speak with her dad,, Any way I sent the ring to him lol .

It has taken maybe 3 months ::) Oh well, I will let you all know when he receives it.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was brought up with the golden rule. Some people have little or no morals now days i dont know how they live with themselves. As the saying goes those kind of people would take anything not nailed down. As Joyce Brothers always says..... go do the right thing.

Dew

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I go out to look for a lost item it is RETURNED. Using the information to find then scrap the item is theft. They might as well break into someones house if they know they have jewelery.
They are confusing the "lost and found law" with theft.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Certainly Believe in the right to Finders Keepers,
if that is your attitude on your finds.

However in the case of Being asked to find someting,

finding it & Not returning it is Clearly Theft.
And I'm sure there are other laws If you misrepresent
yourself as somone who only wants to help.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Les, I am right there with Stpaulis, if you know someone who lost it and where and when, and you find it, of course it goes back to them. Look at the story of Mark, who a few years ago found a superbowl ring at a certain beach here on the Central West Coast. It was a certain teams player and he searched it out. There was never a "I lost a superbowl ring" reward poster. He was offered $60,000.00 for the ring initially, but turned it down, knowing that there was an owner out there. He searched and did find the loser of the ring and gave it back, never asking for a penny. Sure, he could have made a pile of money, but he did the right thing and sought out the owner. That is the right thing to do. And when they ask you to find it, and it is found, give it back, and if they want to reward you, then by God, take it. I feel that people who find it, when knowing the info, and then sell it, are just like a bad cop who finds a persons lost wallet or money and keeps it, knowing that they know who lost it. Not as bad as a crook, who breaks into houses and steals, but just about as low.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know who an item belongs to and you keep it, then its the same as stealing, in my book.....WWAPD....what would a pirate do? Back in the day we know what they would have done....most of us modern day pirates would do the right thing. In two years of treasure hunting Ive come to find out that detectorist are a good bunch of people. I hope me joining the ranks doesn't tarnish their reputation too much. :laughing7: :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

mysterio

Apr 12, 2006
It's theft. Plain and simple. And even if it wasn't per se illegal, it would be scummy. Either way, I couldn't feel right about doing that.

My buddy and I were called out to find a 2k diamond ring in plat on South Beach...we didn't find it...but I know the owner's name and in the highly, highly, highly unlikely event I find it, she will get it back (and this was from over 3 years ago).

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No question what-so-ever. The item should be returned to the person who trusted you with this info. Me and the guys I hunt with go out of our way to find an owner even if we just find the item randomly. Makes me wonder if you could trust someone like that with anything. :icon_pirat:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand. I guess I could have kept the ring,, no one cared apparently. But the name was in it,, the school, the date, I felt bad for the girl, Those rings mean alot more to those kids than they do to me.
So if it has a name and I can find the owner I will. I feel I do not need bad juju lol. If someone asks me to find something I will be happy to.
I found 2 rings about 4 years ago for my in laws neighbor,, she said if I found them both I could keep one, until I found them both, My point on this is there will be a fee involved if I go out of my way now, she said "oh that is great, my step son will love these". No thank you even.
Oh well, family friend and all you know.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep, same as stealing ... full swine act. >:(

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If approached by someone who has lost a ring, asking your help in finding it:

you have to decide how to handle the search, recovery and return.

There is a difference between someone losing an item and someone claiming to lose an item. How does a guy tell the difference?

Well, usually there is a description of the item, as well as information on how to return it: inscribed name, stone description, size, etc. Place lost helps a lot.

But it is still the detectorists' right to negotiate a finder's fee for their labor, work, and return time.

Similarly, if you lose a gold ring, you would offer a reward for the return of the ring, wouldn't you?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's really not finders keepers if you know who it belongs to.

I'd return it.

Guess I'm not half the pirate I thought I was. :icon_pirat:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My question is this: Do you consider this action, recover the item and selling it, proper or is it Finders Keepers?

Our feeling is this, Its theft and Depending on the Value It could Be a Felony!!! If you agree to find or attempt to find a Lost Item You have Entered a Verbal contract!!! Weather It Leagal Does not Matter It will Come Back to Haunt you!!!!!

I have Been approached a few times to Find a Ring and Never Found a Lost item Yet!!! Even though I still try!!!!! and Keep the Info In My wallet and will Call them If i ever do!!!! Chug and Red

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:

Our feeling is this, Its theft and Depending on the Value It could Be a Felony!!! If you agree to find or attempt to find a Lost Item You have Entered a Verbal contract!!! Weather It Leagal Does not Matter It will Come Back to Haunt you!!!!!

I have Been approached a few times to Find a Ring and Never Found a Lost item Yet!!! Even though I still try!!!!! and Keep the Info In My wallet and will Call them If i ever do!!!! Chug and Red

I can agree with this. Good post.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone asks you to find their lost item and you undertake the task, you are under an oral contract to return it. Not only that, it is just the right thing to do. Anyone that has the information of a lost article and was asked to find it and keeps it is lower than whale S**t. You need to get a good description of the ring too. I carry business cards in my hat so I can give it to the person and tell them to call me to give their name and number where I can reach them if I find it. I might not find it that day or the next, but if I do I need to know where to return it.

It took me over a week hunting every day to find this one guys ring and I was very happy to give it to him. I get calls from the parks about someone losing something because the managers give my cards out. I tell the person that lost something an calls me that there is a $50. deposit for me to start looking. This sounds cruel, but some like to see the nerd waste his time. I always return this money. If approached while hunting I will look till I find it for free. It is a game to some lowlifes to play with your time. I still have a nice tennis bracelet some gal lost and she didn't contact me.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally to me returning a treasure to the rightful owner gives me a better feeling than cashing in on some one else s property. Just to see the smile and happy face will do it for me.
dc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread