Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted my one year finds recently, and closed out the log book. Since posting, however, I took a much needed mini break from detecting. These last few days have been more about focusing on work, exercising, and catching up on things that I've neglected over time. I really didn't think I was ready to jump back into things, but the tides lately have been looking pretty good.

Rob called last night and wanted to get out for a hunt. I didn't have my hopes up too high since the tourist season is over and most everyplace on the island has taken down the jellyfish nets. Not a bad thing mind you, but realize that there's no new drops going in to feed the hobby. This one thought had me second guessing even going.

I meet him rather late at night and we get started. He hits the water and I focus on the wet sand between high tide and the rapidly receeding low tide line. I worked slowly from one end of the beach... starting at the high tide line and working down the slope to the water line, moving over 5 feet, and working back up the slope. Making any headway was slow... numerous pulltabs to dig. I was focusing on the deeper signals, trying to really punch deep and find those older things.

After about an hour I got a nice BIG hit on the Excal. I'm sure it was shallow so I only dig a half scoop of sand. As I kick around the pile, I see the edge of a huge ring. The heart starts beating real fast now. This is the first 'good' find I've had this evening and it's starting to look real good. Everything looks like gold in the red light of my headlamp, so when i encounter something like this, I have to switch to the white light to verify if it's silver or yellow gold.

Sure enough... it is... BIG gold. 14k !!!!

I make it the rest of the way down the beach and get a nice deep signal next to some trash that I just dug up. 2 scoops nets the target and I start kicking at the pile to narrow it down. Out pops a small band... and it looks pretty new too. I switch the headlamp to the white light again and see a beautiful petite yellow gold band with what appears to be silver on it. Upon closer inspection I see K18 and Pt900 !!!!! Holy crap !

So the hunt ended shortly thereafter and we parted ways. I think Rob netted about 1,500 yen and that was pretty close to what I figured I had as well. So without putting you through too much more story time, here's the booty for my first hunt of this new season.

1,417 yen ($18)
2 silver rings
1 silver earring stud
misc junk jewelry, key, mysterious pieces of metal, and a button
1 14k gold ring - 12 grams
1 18k and Pt900 ring - 3 grams

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. I home this new year brings many many more days like this one.

002-13.jpg

003-13.jpg

004-13.jpg

008-6.jpg

007-8.jpg
009-4.jpg

006-8.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread