Fisher 1280-X

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
Hi.
Let me introduce my self. My name is Mark and I have done a minimal amount of detecting with land detectors. I dive as much as time allows in the summer ( it's rater cold in the winter In the north east US Brrrrr!). Under water detecting seems that it would be another way to enjoy being down under. Most all of my searches will be in fresh water so I felt that a more expensive detector with a salt mode would not be needed. Any and all advice and experience using a 1280-x would be of help.

Upvote 0

8REALE

An excellent freshwater detector, they work great. Owned aTesoro Tigershark too, excellent just as well in fresh. Both find small gold. The 1280 can be a turn on a go detector, all controls on the outside. Best of all used ones can be found for $300-400.00.
Or you can get a Detectorpro Wader or Diver for about $400.00. It's basically a micro circuit 1280x housed in a headset. These also work great in salt where the 1280 doesn't fare as well.

One thing the battery box compartment door on the 1280 will leak if you tighten the screw down too tight.

OP
OP
L

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
Thanks for the info 8REALE. I'm trying to decide between the 1280-X and the CZ-20. Can anyone out there tell me how these two compare in over all performance. I don't want to spend the extra on the CZ if I don't have to.

OP
OP
L

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
Thanks Sandman. I have read in other forums that there have been problems with the 1280 and that many will not pick up gold at all even in an air test. Have you or anyone else had this problem. If so has fisher been able to correct this?

D

Darod

Sandman,

Some say that the 1280 doesn't work well in saltwater? But the description for it on Kellyco's site states that it works great in saltwater? What's the deal? If it has a problem in salt, is there a way to work around it so it can still make good finds in the saltwater?

Rod

OP
OP
L

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
thanks every one for your replies. decided to go with a minelab excalabur 800. Can't wait till spring.

D

Darod

Ok,

there's lots of good info within this post BUT, most of it has ended up being about the CZ20 and not the 1280X.

Has anyone owned and used a 1280X on the beach or in the surf or on wet soil? how has it done exactly under these conditions? Strong points? Weak points? etc.

How does that "automatic grounding" work out on it? Does it work? or not?

Any and all input appreciated!

Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread