Surfside, TX

Goggy

Dec 6, 2011
Tejas
Detector(s) used
CZ21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello. New guy here. Pulled my cz20 out of the closet after a 5+ year hiatus. Can't believe it's been that long. Brought my waders, but it was too rough to get in the water, so I hunted the dry sand. Found 4 quarters, 6 dimes, 1 nickel, couple dozen pennies, and a cup or so of pulltabs. Found one ring, costume jewelry, copper with plating and the words, "South Padre Island". Thought it was a gold ring when I first saw in the scoop. Oh well. Hopefully I will get out again next weekend, and this time in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,263
Upvote 0

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Haven't been to Surfside in over a month, last time I was there the sand was still too deep. The whole beach was replenished so don't know how it will be this winter, hopefully we will loose some of the sand. Found some good silver and gold rings early this year in January/February before they added tons of sand. You from this area? HH

OP
OP
Goggy

Goggy

Dec 6, 2011
Tejas
Detector(s) used
CZ21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, I live in Angleton. Last few years i kayak fished the Surfside area. But I started thinking about md'ing again, and after finally getting out last Sunday, I'm back. I'm also thinking about how to utilize the kayak for md'ing. The ICW has had a lot of activity over the years.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome back to the hobby! Sounds like you had a great new start! HH

Warmouth

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2011
Houston,Texas
Detector(s) used
Vaquero,Surfmaster,VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have been thinking of ways to combine kayacking and MDing, I knew of a place on the SanJacinto River where alot of ski and wakeboard boats would gather and party and such. You could only access this beach area by boat so I loaded up the yak one weekend and headed out to only find it was completely changed due to river currents and 10 years time (funny how time flies). I still think its a great idea, I'll have to plot and plan a better local next time.
I took my new Tesoro Vaquero and did not want to get it wet incase something happened so I removed the electronics head (one screw!) and put it in a ziploc bag, stuck the bag in my boats dry storage and had no worries.
I just bought a Surfmaster so it should be nice next time I hit the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread