Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do not have one but there are two being used here..........see them in action from the past

dig lots of bobby pins, but do ok also.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got rid of my Goldquest when repairs/spares became difficult but bought the Whites (TDI) version of the Goldquest last month as I had the opportunity to test the new SL version of the TDI and wanted to run them against each other.

The SL is cheaper,lighter, has a smoother threshold (though not certain thats a good thing in this case) and doesn't use the same type of lithium ion battery so less power but no problems when taking on aircraft. The original TDI and TDI Pro's have big stickers on their boxes warning not to be taken on passenger aircraft.

I've found little difference between the TDI Mk1 and the TDI Pro for beach work. The Pro has had a volume control added and switches replaced by knobs and the filtering has been tweaked for small (grains) of gold rather than gold rings.
The SL lacks some depth compared to the two original models so if there's competition on your beaches then get one of the originals.

The rechargable lithium batteries provide on average 7 hours 40 minutes of detecting time for me rather than the claimed 8 hours. It took me fifty hours to recover the cost of the detector, mainly in gold over a few weeks. This is not bad but I try to average two gold rings a week off the wet sand with my Deepstar P.I. so its really no better but the Deepstar cost more and isn't in production now.

Drawbacks. If you use discrimination you lose a degree of depth and if you optimise for one type of metal or even size of target then another wanted target type becomes more difficult to detect.
The handle of the detector feels to short for me especially if wearing gloves in the winter.
I find the Dual Field coil a little heavy over time. Solution to this is to go for a Razorback 10 x 14 coil or similar which at 11 oz. is a fraction of the weight, is a little deeper and covers more ground per sweep. Doesn't pinpoint quite as well as the stock coil though. Warning...I just been told the 10 x 14 has been reworked and is now more the weight of the D.F. coil.

If you do get a TDI of either older type you will blow all the CZ's/Sovereign's/even Whites Dual Field P.I. out of the water if used in all metal. If you want discrimination things are not so clear cut but you can still detect small/fine items that the others just can't "see".

OP
OP
Florida Sand Digger

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
Thanks for the input Brian, I do have a Surf Pro PI machine that I use in the water, so I do know how much of a target hog a PI machine can be. But like you stated, one of they main reasons I am looking at this machine is the competition, there is a lot of it on south Florida beaches. I do find my fair share with the DFX and other machines, but I am looking for something to go low and slow with to get those really deeeeep targets and from what I have been reading this TDI will do what I want, without having to spend 5 grand or more on a minelab.

HH
Digger

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Digger, I too am interested in this unit, seems like a different PI. Are you planning on waterproofing it?

OP
OP
Florida Sand Digger

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
I haven't considered water proofing it. I have a PI Pro that I use in the water now, and I realy believe that as the popularity for these machines continues to grow along with the demand for this same technology in a water machine, It is only a matter of time before Whites will answer that demand.

HH
Digger

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I use my TDI on the beaches around St Augustine. Currently, with the beaches sanded in, one needs an excavator rather than a detector but I run mine in no GB mode or in All mode with the GB on and pulse at about 17 with the GB balanced. The trick is to determine shape, size and sound. Then isolate the target in both High (low tone) and Low (high tone) mode to determine further if it is a good target to dig. It sure beats the surf PIs on the beach for depth and discrimination but it is NOT waterproof. I chest mount mine so it is a lot lighter than using the TDI SL version that does not allow for chest or belt running and is not as deep or as good on discrimination.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
I to use a TDI Pro on beaches, just got one of the STAVR scoops so there was another reason to go for a spin.

PC175544.jpg

ivanll

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
ivanll said:
I to use a TDI Pro on beaches, just got one of the STAVR scoops so there was another reason to go for a spin.

PC175544.jpg

ivanll

Hi Ivanll,

I see that you too use diving booties. If you use shoes with eyelets or with any metal in them, you will pick up EMI from the shoes. You MUST use shoes or booties without metal in them as the signal of a PI also travels horizontally as well as vertically....jim

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's already a unofficial waterproof TDI SL which uses a U.S. sourced waterproof case with opening flap that allows adjustment of the controls before entering the water. No way to adjust on the fly though which is a great drawback with this type of detector and you lose not only your warranty but also Whites will not carry out repairs.

Seems there's no plans for a waterproof TDI and even the TDI Pro is to end up as a special order detector in the U.K. which has to be down to lack of sales which is a pity but its a flawed design for general land use with our range of coin types.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread