Went up to Dads place.... only read if you want to suffer a ramble. UPDATE/ TEST

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GOOD AND BAD NEWS AT THE JEWELLERS TODAY. THE 3 STONE RING IS STERLING SILVER WITH CZ's BUT THE LITTLE RING I FOUND AWHILE BACK PROVED TO BE 9CT ROSE GOLD (I could not read the hallmark - but the jeweller made short work of it), THE TINY STONE REMAINS A MYSTERY AS SHE SAID IT WAS NEITHER DIAMOND NOR CZ - SHE FELT IT MAY BE A SAPPHIRE AS IT HAS FLASHES OF YELLOW? pic added.

Hi all - I visited my Dad over the last two days - he lives north of Brisbane so I thought I would expand beyond my horizons of perfect beaches here and try some new stuff whilst I was there.

I decided to devote a hunt to my sadly neglected uMax, the SS has been so fun and well I barely even hunt the dry sand anymore, so the silver has remained dormant. I chose a swimming hole I knew when I was a kid - freshwater and OMG I had fun. Discrimation is SO COOL. I was whipping over the bottle tops ( I set just below foil) and picking up coins (14 in all), a neat St John's Bronze Medallion for Lifesaving, a hallmarked sterling teaspoon and assorted trash, my best find was a 925 Silver Band in about 1ft of water ( stressed hard about the coil being waterproof but it was ok)- and best of all I passed over it, focused on the pebbles and smooth river rock and there she was poking out - fun to snatch it up without digging, oh and a junk dragon thingy ring to add to my ring count ... Dad was stoked at how much I'd pulled while he was "at the club" - that reads at the club swilling XXXX the local brew.

Next morn I'm up at Crack of and I drive down to the bay - about 15km's from Dad's - it was a popular holiday destination from about 1895 - 1965 until the roads opened up to the beautiful beaches to the North and South. Well at first I was confused to say the least on the wet sand, my SS was acting like my uMax over damp salt - signals everywhere - I mean with every swing - multiple signals ( I found out why later) , I passed it off as all the junk cause there was heaps and decided I would only dig obvious screamers or nice sounding stuff, I got sick of it about 1/2 hr in and got into the less than inviting water - not ten minutes later and I'm digging signals under heavy shells / rocks at about thigh deep, the water proved cleaner, and I can't find this target. My hole is like an upside down mushroom - all roomy at the bottom - so I've learnt to dig out the sides and I threw it out, but no luck - I went deeper and the weirdest thing it came out in the scoop attached to a big chunk of natural clay , never seen clay at the beach before... recovered it with a rush picked off the sticky clay- seeing the tarnished underside first and think oh cool silver, spun it and saw the bling. Surely to good to be true and now I'm undecided - will test it tomorrow - if it is real I'll post pics as I'll be stoked - but I seriously doubt it -I can't recognise the metal / condition - no doubt experienced punters will know - it does look old though.

Went to the next beach up and found my problem - Red Ironstone everywhere via beach replenishment / construction) - it was everywhere - the SS just found every inch of ground.

So I had fun - got to come home tonight and had to have a ramble on Tnet - most will have tuned out by now I'm sure - but I'm finding I can't keep up with the possibilities for both the hunt / machines v's time!

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Went up to Dads place.... only read if you want to suffer a ramble.

Very interesting post, Smoogle.

Felt as if I was right there detecting along side you.

Very nice finds...I like that middle ring. :headbang:

Lorraine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice story of your hunt and the best treasure of all was seeing your father again.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Liked the story Smoogle and do hope the center ring
is gold. Glad you had a good visit and a successful hunt.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

thanks for the kind words .....
nugs the centre ring is junk metal .... looks gold in colour because it was a night / flash pic....
I'll have a test done on the "3 x ice" today, from what I've read around here you never know right? It would be cracking if they were real :whip2:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for the update, Smoogle..and congrats on the gold & silver :headbang:

Lorraine

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story... warms the heart this time of the year. My dad is 84 and last year i visited and he took me on a walk to some of the old home sites in the woods so i could detect. Long long walk but he enjoyed watching and seeing the odds and ends that i pulled. I have no doubt if he was a little younger hed be right out there with me. He still plays gulf 3 times a week. That last ring makes me want to check some of mine again ive thrown in a can.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread