looking to buy long handled beach scoop for fla. help me decide

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am not familiar with the Beachmaster 37 name, but any of the others will be a good choice.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth because it handles most of the bottom materal I've run into. But for mainly doing dry sand I like a screen sifter type for faster sifting. The Beachmaster is good for dry sand but is to small for the wet or water searching.

Attachments

• Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 945
  • Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 945

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have one like that for dry sand. It was a RTG scoop. The 2 piece travel scoop. It is obviously stuck together, never to come apart again. The wire is galvanized 1/2" and the scoop is also galvanized steel, and it is at least 15 years old, and it is rusty, but it still works fine. I have used it from new in the saltwater, and it still held up. As he said, it is not a good scoop for water use. EDIT* I found that beachmaster 37, not a great pick. Go with the other type. Get as large as they make 8".

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Welcome to the forum. There are many good scoops out there. I, like sandman, prefer the sunspot stealth. I had the 8" one but had to trade another MD'er for the smaller version as the large one was just too much for me to handle. This is their website.

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Another good one you might want to look at is the Diamond head scoop.

http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

Each person has their own personal favorites but I will warn you if you try to save money by buying a cheap one.... you will end up buying a better one later on. You can't skimp on this stuff but you will find out. You want the best equipment if you want it to last.

Good luck hunting and I hope to see some of your finds soon. :wink:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any of the brand name scoops will work for you. The most important thing to remember is one does not fit all conditions! I have 8 scoops they all have their place in the hunting scheme. Try and talk with others that hunt in your area and see how theres stack up. This purchase is as important as your detector. Target recovery will surely slow you down with the wrong scoop!Do the math 65 targets on a hunt and it takes you 1 minute a piece and you lost 65 minutes of hunting. You want to down around 15/20 seconds not an easy task in water/wet sand with the wrong scoop.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Sandman said:
I've used many and have settled on the Sunspot Stealth because it handles most of the bottom materal I've run into. But for mainly doing dry sand I like a screen sifter type for faster sifting. The Beachmaster is good for dry sand but is to small for the wet or water searching.

I just got the Sunspot Stealth Scoop. It is very well made. It is made in MI. It will work well with a PI detector with a large coil. I sometimes use a 14 inch round mono RB coil on my TDI for greater depth and it can be a problem pinpointing a target with it. Lately I have been using an 8 1/2 X 11 RB coil and it is a dream pinpointing a target with that coil.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
Are you a handyman type? I have made my own with PVC pipe and wood. I have several short ones for beach and shallow water and a 6 footer for deep water. No metal in them and they float. What ever you are looking for is either in your scoop or still in the sand. As a new member I am not sure how you can get in touch with me if you want more info.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use large aluminum 6 inch bucket 2- piece for traveling

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
used sunspot for years .both scoops broke. both were brand new. i used a rtg stainless 6 or 7 inch dont know which. but the worst scoop ive ever used. you could not wish a target in that scoop 8hrs of hunting 1penny and the place was solid targets .i was so aggrivated with that scoop i will never use one again.went to a easier beach to dig same situation.i got so aggrivated i made a rule i will dig 10 scoops on a target if i cant get it before 10 i leave it .got zero targets.and there was a good amount of targets. a scoop makes the difference if you get gold or not.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion said:
used sunspot for years .both scoops broke. both were brand new. i used a rtg stainless 6 or 7 inch dont know which. but the worst scoop ive ever used. you could not wish a target in that scoop 8hrs of hunting 1penny and the place was solid targets .i was so aggrivated with that scoop i will never use one again.went to a easier beach to dig same situation.i got so aggrivated i made a rule i will dig 10 scoops on a target if i cant get it before 10 i leave it .got zero targets.and there was a good amount of targets. a scoop makes the difference if you get gold or not.
So I think your trying to say you don't like the RTG scoops? Is that what i'm deciphering here? Not that anything you said makes a bit of sense that is... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion said:
Sounds like the scoop wasnt the problem.

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
From all the research I have done (a lot), I'd go with the Sunspot Stealth S8.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lookindown said:
snooksion said:

You don't know Snooksion...that guy can find and DIG gold better than anybody on this coast. I think he knows what he is talking about.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
lookindown said:
snooksion said:

You don't know Snooksion...that guy can find and DIG gold better than anybody on this coast. I think he knows what he is talking about.
Just doesn't know how to convey it properly I guess? I've never had a scoop lose a target for me. I've found small earrings in mine before. No problem.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
lookindown said:
snooksion said:

You don't know Snooksion...that guy can find and DIG gold better than anybody on this coast. I think he knows what he is talking about. ave no trpth an RTG
If thats the case, then I just took over the title of best digger on the West coast. ;D I have no trouble with an RTG 6 inch. Imagine what I could do with a good scoop. :laughing7: :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a 6" RTG stainless and have had it for 16-17 years. So I know how to use it. I have worked with snooksion , with his regular 8" SunSpot and his 8" sugar sand model. He is scooping and getting, and showing rings to me, while I am digging and digging. He didnt use my scoop, but I know who's he did and it is about the same as mine. I have been thinking of getting a big, wide, wood handled scoop for a while. They really impressed me. They are used differently, I know snooksion broke his 2 and had them fixed and just got them back. I know he knows how to use them, and they cant be overpowered or they will break. My RTG stainless hasnt even had a slight bend or anything. But I often have to scoop quite a few times. But to get the most in a scoop, the SunSpot has to be it. I am sold. For the dry sand a mesh scoop is good. For the wet sand a regular shovel would be best. Scoops dont do so good on the hard , wet sand. You basicly scoop it up and dump it and break it apart. Pain in the butt.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never heard anything bad about the stealths...the bigger the scoop, the less digging. I just thought he was being a little over dramatic about how bad the RTG was. No doubt an 8 inch Sunspot will do better than a 6 inch RTG. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
Ive never heard anything bad about the stealths...the bigger the scoop, the less digging. I just thought he was being a little over dramatic about how bad the RTG was. No doubt an 8 inch Sunspot will do better than a 6 inch RTG. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:
With this we can all agree on. Size does matter. Ask the ladies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread