Crusted NW Beach Gold...probably not..

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Got out on a road trip a few days ago to an old tucked away saltwater beach and rescued this keeper amongst the nails. It is very mineralized. I have been cleaning it with dish soap and at tooth brush for a couple of days now just hoping to get a glimpse of some detail. I was using my cz-21 with the sensitivity cranked. With that setting where I was, it was not too bad but still getting the extra chirps to fight through. I was almost done for the day and I got a nice soft repeatable mid tone and I thought to myself, go ahead and dig, at least it's not a iron. It was a good 8 inches down.
I have found a few gold rings over the years but this one for sure is one of the oldest I have recovered in saltwater. Certainly the most crusted. I'm anxious to see just what she looks like. Open to suggestions for restoration if you have some. I have been searching around the net and not much on cleaning heavy mineralized gold.

mcmurphi

Attachments

• Beach Gold Flattened Jan 2012.jpg
    Beach Gold Flattened Jan 2012.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Beach Gold Flattened Jan 2012.jpg
    Beach Gold Flattened Jan 2012.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,089
Upvote 0
May 31, 2008
Lake City, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 II, Ace 250, Gold Bug 2, Fisher 1265-X, C&G Bobcat, Previously Garrett Groundhog and Bounty Hunter RB 10
Re: Crusted NW Beach Gold Help...

It's always a good thing to find a ring. It sure beats finding pulltabs and bottletops like I do. As far as I know though, gold should not get crusted up like that, even on a highly mineralized beach. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Happy hunting.........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

North Florida Beach Hunter said:
It's always a good thing to find a ring. It sure beats finding pulltabs and bottletops like I do. As far as I know though, gold should not get crusted up like that, even on a highly mineralized beach. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Happy hunting.........
I have never had any gold rings encrusted like that. Silver ones yeah.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

would it be the alloys mixed with the gold reacting?

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Electrolysis is the way to clean stuff like that. I bet it is silver too.

OP
OP
mcmurphi

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the comments and advise on this one. I will post an updated photo after electrolysis etc.
Mcmurphi

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound

One of the beaches I have hunted contains quite a few pieces of copper flashing and copper nails. Perhaps from hurricane roof damage. I haven't taken photos of the scrap copper metal, but it looks exactly like the rings with a blue-green patina. Your rings are likely silver or gold plated copper with all the silver or gold worn off long ago. Nice to find a ring now and again, even if the gold is worn off. HH, Ralph

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Silver, copper and gold is not affected by muratic acid, which you could clean it with if that is what it is, but it seems to be something like bronze. Bronze really doesnt get affected by acid, but the surface will turn copper, a quick buff will bring back the bronze color, as the zinc is eaten away on the surface by the acid. Gold really doesnt get corrosion, but if very low alloy it could I suppose. Silver is usually black corrosion, unless alloyed with copper, like many old Spanish cobs, and they were black or green corrosion. Maybe try 50/50 water and muratic acid. Rinse well after a few minutes and if it needs more, do it again. You can buy muratic acid in pool stores. Rinse well, and use eye protection, and do it outside. Fumes. If done wrong electroysis can destroy things. Try the acid first. If it is pot metal, it will start really fizzing with acid, if so take it out and rinse it, and check it out to see if it was just the corrosion or the cheap metal. I get copper pennies that get all green if under sea and sand for a few years. Or you could tumble it with some sand, water and pebbles in a rock tumbler if you have one. Do it for 1/2 an hour and check it out. I do that when I get a pile of greenies, and leave them in all day, and they come out looking like new. Dont use carbide grit though, just sand and small pebbles. Here is a picture of a gold escudo, 1654 and it just came out of the saltwater, my hand is still wet. This is 350 years in saltwater, no corrosion.

Attachments

• new rear hardtop 073.jpg
    new rear hardtop 073.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 1,019

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:

wtg very nice :hello2:

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are interesting photos, Mcmurphi.

I would try electrolysis on the ring.. it looks most likely to be silver, but I could be wrong. :dontknow:

Here is a pic of a very encrusted 10K gold ring that I had found a couple of years ago...thought it was junk and was ready to scrap it until I took a closer look and thought "maybe" :sign13:

After electrolysis, I could see the gold and the 10K marking / center diamond .

Sorry I don't have a pic of the ring cleaned and shined.

Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture 5925.jpg
    Picture 5925.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,023

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like Lorraine - I have found 10 K rings that are caked in green - after electrolosis they come out pretty good
the reason a spanish gold coin never has corrosion - is they are like 23 K gold or around that
10k that has alot of brass as the other alloy will turn in saltwater
I have found gold rings that have silver in them turn black

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Yes, I figured that a low alloy gold would corrode somewhat. Rose gold uses copper to make it red, and I am sure it would get green. Electrolysis or acid would work on that. Be careful with either one.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have to believe these to be heavy copper w/silver plating maybe and they have been there
a long long time.
But that is what copper looks like after years of wear and tear in salt or corrosive soil.
That said, years ago I dug an 18k Gold Chain on a beach in Spain, and I could see some gold
peeking through lots and lots of green crud... At first I could not understand why it was like this and
I was thinking maybe just gold plated....
But no indeed it was 18k..... Just that the links where they were soldered together they had used copper solder as it is stronger and holds together better that Gold, and those little tiny spots of
copper solder had corroded and grown so much that it covered the entire chain and all the links...
A vast amount just crumbled off when pulled through my fingers, and after the acid bath you could not
see where the links came together anymore....
We believe that the chain had been there maybe 50 - 60 years and only came up after a week of strong storms battered the coast....
But it taught me a lessen that most gold is put together with some form of copper solder and these
places will carrode and grow green gunk in the salt water locations.

OP
OP
mcmurphi

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
Ok did some frying on it and removed some stuff. She probably is not gold but rather plated gold. But the thing is it rings up as a solid 28 on my dfx so that is what is confusing. As copper, brass would be way up there around 50-80. Anyway maybe a nickel alloy of some kind. I have a friend I will take it to to get his thoughts. Here is a not so good pic of the electrolysis. Thank you everyone for your comments on this ring, I really do appreciate them all. What a wonderful resource! Thanks again, mcmurphi

Attachments

• Electro Ring Jan 12.jpg
    Electro Ring Jan 12.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 939

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
I have never found gold in Salt Water.

However, I just found two rings lost around 1985 and 1989. Once you pull a Gold Ring out of the water and see how pristine they are you will never doubt whether it is gold or not. My rings were Beautiful the second I laid eyes on them. Absolutely NO corrosion. If I have any doubt the first second I see them I remind myself its JUNK!

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold rings can be crusted

i have found two gold rings either crusted over or tarnished(stained). the first was a ring exactly like Lorain's. i found it in fresh water. the center of the onyx has a silver stud, the silver was extremely deteriorated, the gold was stained nearest the silver. the second was a 14k gold ring holding a 24k gold coin, it had a steel ring guard. this one was found in salt water. it was completely encrusted in very hard cocina, hard as concrete. the metal ring guard was entirely corroded, almost eaten away. I'm sorry i don't have pics. the point is, if gold is in close proximity to another metal it can get a crust on it. the first ring even stained the gold a black color near the silver stud. the second ring had crusted to the gold but did not effect the gold or color, just had crust on it.
the ring in the photo appears to me me to be a plated ring, hence the little glimpses of gold color, but the base metal under it has been corroded. i normally don't do any more than tumble these. if more is done, it just ruins it worse. i save them, but they are only treasure to me, mementos of my time detecting. i hope this helps some. hh david

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, mcmurphi

Regarding the crusted ring that you found, and crusted 10K gold rings in general:

I just came across an "after" pic of the ring that I had found and almost junked due to its thick crusting and "junky" look ( pics posted above) after I electrolyzed and shined it up. Those 10K's that have been in the ground for a while are deceptive to the eye.

Here is a photo of the cleaned ring . I wish you the best in your next detecting adventure and look forward to your future postings.

Thank you for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• black onyx ring.jpg
    black onyx ring.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 603

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like Lorraine - I have found gold rings high in brass that have turned green - here are 2
the first is a 9k ring from Miami waters - I thought it was plated till I saw the markings inside - little electrolosis cleaned it up - the second is a 1929 class ring found in Ct. - it actually had even more crust on it when found - have found a few others over the year too - got to wonder how many have thrown gold away or in their junk ring boxes over the years cause they saw lot of green and thought they were junk or plated

Attachments

• 29CLASSRNGCRUSTED.JPG
    29CLASSRNGCRUSTED.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 9kcleaned.JPG
    9kcleaned.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 9k-.jpg
    9k-.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 440

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several low caret rings that looked like junk when I found them.
I soaked them in acid and rinsed thoroughly. they came out with layered streaks and colors. some pitting. I buffed them and they blended into an even yellow color.
I looked up the composition of 9kt and found that it is 37.5% gold, 12.1% silver, 44.4% copper, 6% zinc
I think that high acidic water; that measure below 7.0 on the PH scale. cause the alloy metals to corrode.
In the lake I have found penny's that all the copper coating has corroded away off the zinc base.
In the salt the zinc disintegrates rapidly. :headbang:

Christoph1945

Jun 2, 2015
Cheshire
Detector(s) used
MineLab Safari + Nel Snake coil + Detech 13" Ultimate coil + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently found this ring on a beach in among many WWII .303 and .30 projectiles on an old RAF air to ground firing range. The ring appears to be of bi-metal construction and was coated with a carborundum like grit that came away from the yellow metal outer rum but clung to the central section like chrome to a fitting.

A jeweler confirmed the yellow metal to be gold but said I would have to completely clean the grit off the ring so he could asses the other metal. I have had gold and silver rings off the same beach but none of those were coated in the strange grit like deposits.

Any ideas guys?

Gritty deposits 01.JPG Acid wash.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread