Scratching bedrock....

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went back to the eroded beach and started to swing slow over where I thought the rock enscarpments would be shallow - I was shocked to find that the going was snail pace - I had to literally scrape sand away, toss rocks, lever, etc throught the mini bloulders, shell grit and rocks to dig down to that brown coloured rock bedrock( see pics on last post ) on each target - but the reward on some was so sweet - finding coins that deep and with such effort -
way onto fun ... was just so cool. I got a Predecimal 1954 Florin - think I damaged the date with my feverish scratching, odd bits of metal - the usual other current circulation coins , bobbypins - arrrrgh, and an old crusty coin (I think it is a coin because I can see some reeding on a portion of the edge - but it is so thin? )that I'm excited about. So I need advice here:

Has anyone used a Garrett Pro Pointer for saltwater holes - I've read they are ok but if possible I want to here from someone with field experience - I was digging blind after pinpointing with 10 inch coil on shark? Wow, I've been spoilt......it was so unlike pure clean sand where an easy hole just gets bigger to recover.

What should I do with the crusty coin or whatever it is? Cleaning advice - I have a basic electrolysis bath, is it a good idea? should I soak it in a light oil? > ????? also it is very thin - and about 1mm less diameter than an Aussie penny are any coins this thin? I'll post it on the coins forum too but some of you have salt in your veins and may have some new tricks?

Pics are terrible + cat hair on Florin - no it is not from my pants - not my colour! , macro flash - could not get it right tonight :tongue3:

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 565
Upvote 0

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with the Garret pin pointer at the beach is: it works fine in dry sand. However if you try in the wet or even in the water it is non-stop vibrating noise. I have since got a Vibraprobe for the beach. Works well in wet and under water, but you have to almost be on top of the target before it vibrates. Hope this helps. HH Pete

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Pete, seems I need a pinpointer that works on PI!!!! Would that be possible - is there such a gadget?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont use a pinpointer, but when digging in rocks, they sure would be the ticket. They do make a PI pinpointer, I have seen them. Underwater ones too. I wouldnt mind having one. The coin is thin from getting slid around on sand and rocks. I have seen that before. They can get like a razor blade.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Having a digging situation like that is what most of us dream of. :icon_thumleft:
I would use a pointed miners pick to move the rocks and larger objects.
I have a Vibra-probe pinpointer which is good for such an occasion.
Take your time and enjoy the opportunity before it gets sanded in and buried.

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cheers to all and I feel it is a "race against time and tide" but I will try to keep it low and slow - when I did, I dug all above from about a 6ft sq area! I'd need an army to get it all but I'll settle for my share of the booty over the next weeks...... days , minutes and seconds .....
I guess any chance of coin Id is gone - thanks stevemc.......
could not hunt today .... will keep you posted.

Surfminer

Dec 4, 2011
Miami Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur,Whites Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Before you buy a pin pointer,

JMHO,I have found the pin pointer underwater not very useful.It "looks great on paper" but it actually is just more frustration than its worth unless your maybe working in inches of water and no surf.Working on your fanning technique and detector pin pointing will eventually make the rocks a pleasure to work in :-) Land hunting I love my pin pointer though!
As far as cleaning the encrusties,pick up a rock tumbler and throw all your beach coins,jewelry and whats-its in with a little dish soap and they should be ready to spend and identify in a few hours.
Hope that helps & Happy Hunting,Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions