Anyone Ever Detect on Kauai?

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to Kauai in a couple of days. Has anyone on the forum ever detected there? If so, what can you tell me about it? Where would you recommend I go and where should I stay away from? I'm staying at Barking Sands, on the SW side, but we have a car so I can get around. I'm taking my old CZ-20 and a long-handled SS scoop that have served me well in the past. My detecting time will be limited so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Yes, I lived on the Big Island and would travel over to hunt there. There's a couple of regulars there. Buy the book "The Ultimate Kauai guidebook", I found a beautiful double Diamond ring set in front of the Princeville resort, several gold at Anini beach. Many other nice beaches, check out that book. No place I'd stay away from, be kind to the locals. Wish I were going with you. Make sure you make a stop at Waimea canyon...Beautiful. Good luck.

Attachments

• Kauai2.jpg
    Kauai2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 952
  • kauai.jpg
    kauai.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 933
  • Kauai2.jpg
    Kauai2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 925

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most popular beach on the South Shore is Poipu Beach, which is fronted by Poipu Beach Park, and a few resorts. Poipu Beach was named America's Best Beach by The Travel Channel, ranking top among the 10 "best" beaches selected nationwide. This beach is a series of golden sand crescents, strung together where beach-goers will find snorkeling, swimming, a natural ocean wading pool, boogie-boarding and surfing. Good Luck!! :icon_pirat:

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
rjsupersonic said:
The most popular beach on the South Shore is Poipu Beach, which is fronted by Poipu Beach Park, and a few resorts. Poipu Beach was named America's Best Beach by The Travel Channel, ranking top among the 10 "best" beaches selected nationwide. This beach is a series of golden sand crescents, strung together where beach-goers will find snorkeling, swimming, a natural ocean wading pool, boogie-boarding and surfing. Good Luck!! :icon_pirat:
I always found this beach deserted, and very small, not worth wasting time at this one is why I didn't mention it. I know they claim it's one of the top beaches, but.... I'd have to disagree.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Mackaydon said:
If I were going back, I wouldn't miss Hanalei Beach-- on the north side of the island.
If you don't find one coin, you're still in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
http://beatofhawaii.com/our-guide-to-hanalei-bay-beach/
Don....
Gotta agree with you there Don, I didn't find much there, but you never know. And you might run into Bette Midler who has a home overlooking the bay. The Princeville resort is on the bay.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, the Princeville resort is on the east rim of the bay--and a great golf course they have !!
Memories: I was married in the little green church in Hanalei (eons ago) and now prefer to mingle with the locals in Hanalei itself--great shops, bars and restaurants.
Don....

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
Mackaydon said:
Yes, the Princeville resort is on the east rim of the bay--and a great golf course they have !!
Memories: I was married in the little green church in Hanalei (eons ago) and now prefer to mingle with the locals in Hanalei itself--great shops, bars and restaurants.
Don....
I agree, I can't wait to get back there, I rent a condo off of condobob, cheap... hang out in Hanalei like you, good food, good drink and good people. What more can you ask for, even a gold ring here and there. :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You've given me more than I asked for and I am grateful.

We were supposed to be on the plane right now but my wife came down with a sudden illness yesterday that has forced us to change our plans, hopefully to postpone them rather than cancel them altogether. We're still hoping to visit Kauai as soon as she recovers. If I get to detect there, I'll let you know where I went and if I find anything worthwhile.

Chuck

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bummer hope she recovers quickly and good luck in Kauai!!!

OP
OP
C

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that she has recovered nicely and we've re-scheduled our trip for late February.

Thanks again to all.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions