Anyone here use a P.I. detector for beach and surf?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Anyone here use a P.I. detector for beach and surf?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with a P.I. detector? I've always wanted a submersible metal detector.... But I've never used a Pulse Induction type before. However I've had 3 land detectors... Including an old antique Compass, a Garrett, and White MXT, have no idea how a PI would compare. Are there any particular PI models that stick out as better than others?

us
    Harold in N.C

Jul 2007
    N.C
    I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
    226 times

Re: Anyone here use a P.I. detector for beach and surf?

I have a nice whites Pi pro for sale, they are a deep machine and you dig everything. Harold

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1266 times

I got a Garrett Infinium; I like that - but like Harold says, you gotta dig everything.

Best in non-trashy beaches, but they're DEEP and salt does not affect them.

Get a good scoop; that'll save some time.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Jul 2010
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark
    708 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I use the Tesoro Sand Shark, drag it through the water and the wet/dry sand - Works like a champ.
    He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure! | Tesoro Sand Shark Fan Page

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24661 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru
    I use the Tesoro Sand Shark, drag it through the water and the wet/dry sand - Works like a champ.
    Ditto on the Tesoro Sand Shark. I use the 8" coil.

au
    Jul 2011
    North Coast NSW.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
    261 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

there are some advantages to digging it all with a PI:
    say you are looking for the heavies along a beach - I like Surfdiggers W pattern in likely areas - you may find an iron bolt that gives you a clue that other heavies like chunky gold are nearby, if you were discriminating you may have missed the opportunity -
    also some fun trinkets and old interesting rusty relics are found - they often tell a story about the place you are detecting -
    you get fit digging - popeye arms without the spinach
    you leave the beach alot cleaner - like I removed an acupuncture needle just yesterday
    and best of all - if it is there - you know about it
    I also find targets don't even have to be right under my coil - you kind of get clues that you have just swept close - and I'm often digging a hole that is just away from my sweep - hard to explain
    I also use a Sand Shark - love it.
    "Treasure, baby, Treasure!"

us
    May 2011
    21 times

Seven months ago I bought a Sand Shark with a 10inch coil, loved it, three months later had a problem with it and returned it to the factory, Thought it might be a long wait so I went out and bought another Sand Shark, this time with an eight inch coil. The Factory was great, explained everything and had my Sand Shark back in about ten days. Absolutely no charge. What more could you ask for?

Charter Member

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    1143 times

three years in on a Seahunter Mark II. At first I hated the damn thing, now I've changed my mind because it does find those deep pieces of sparkler wire and those deep pieces of PM also.

when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Jul 2007
    Palm Bay,Florida
    Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
    317 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have both the Tesoro Sand Shark and the Minelab Excalibur 2,but I use the Minelab the most,as it helps me skip a lot of the iron.

us
    Aug 2011
    Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
    25 times

I use the Sand Shark with a 10" coil, works great turn on and go. I have used it down the west coast from Washington state to Alabama works great. Have not used it in Florida yet.

us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
    29 times

Cool, thanks for the replies... As far as digging everything... It's ok with me... My 1st detector... the Compass, had no descrimination, so to start off with, I dug everything, and I don't mind the extra exercise!

Does this forum have a classified section? I looked before, but didn't notice one... I realize some of you posted about a few PI detectors for sale... From what I've seen... Even for a decent used one is about $600.00 or more... I can't afford that quite yet... But hopefully in a relatively short time.

Thanks!

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8960 times

I have a White's PI pro I use at ocean beaches, and I love it.

A lot of people will say that PI waste your time digging iron targets. At least on the beaches I hunt, they aren't loaded with iron trash. I will spend the time to dig a few bobby pins, screws, etc in order to get the deep gold from the sand.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Nov 2007
    North East,Pa
    Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
    19 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by 1869er
    Cool, thanks for the replies... As far as digging everything... It's ok with me... My 1st detector... the Compass, had no descrimination, so to start off with, I dug everything, and I don't mind the extra exercise!

Does this forum have a classified section? I looked before, but didn't notice one... I realize some of you posted about a few PI detectors for sale... From what I've seen... Even for a decent used one is about $600.00 or more... I can't afford that quite yet... But hopefully in a relatively short time.

Thanks!
    you can buy a NEW Garrett Sea Hunter for around $550 shipped

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    23534 times
    The one everybody else missed.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Bone

Thanks!
    you can buy a NEW Garrett Sea Hunter for around $550 shipped
    I really like my MK II,DEEP machine!!!!!!
    EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

​The Key...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-RjlJ6vWw

No one can be helped until he understands what he himself has been doing wrong and wants to change.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

​My Photos.....https://www.viewbug.com/member/alwayslookin

au
    Jan 2012
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Bone

Thanks!
    you can buy a NEW Garrett Sea Hunter for around $550 shipped The Sea Hunter is a good well built machine with a seperate battery compartment. This is an important point. I use the 8 inch coil and can swing it all day.
    I really like my MK II,DEEP machine!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links