MINELAB OWNERS.......please read!!!

craigv3

Jan 2, 2010
GRASS LAKE
Detector(s) used
Deus,Makro CF77, Minelab Etrac, Teknetics T2SE, 2 excel II's, and a Tigershark
Everyone,

To those of you who have "excallibers" you are aware of the cheap Koss headphones affixed to the excals from the factory. I've read forums here and on TNET and decided to buy a set of Peltor's to reduce the background noise and increase my finds. With the Koss headphones, I was constantly battling the back ground noise of the waves and visiting family's whilie water detecting. In a perfect world there would be nobody at the beach on those hot sunny days, but in real life everyone is screaming and having fun which is usually pretty noisy.The "mod" is simply completed by taking the black plastic ear cup off your Koss headphones, taking out 4 screws which secure the existing speaker to the koss headphone frame, reducing the diameter of the solid plastic speaker frame and inserting the speaker into the Peltor ear cups. It took less than 10 minutes and nothing was modified with the wiring, internal components or any other piece of the detector or existing headphones. I READ ON MANY FORUMS THIS WAS COMPLETED BY MANY MEMBERS AND THIER WARRANTY WAS NOT VOID SINCE WIRES WERE NOT CUT, SOLDERED, SPLICED, AND SINCE THE DETECTOR BODY WHERE THE HEADPHONE WIRES INSERT WAS NOT DISASSEMBLED. It makes sense though, if you put a pair of stock headphones next to my headphones (once disassembled) there is nothing different except the diameter of the plastic frame.

I used my excal all summer and found 86 rings in Michigan, one of which is a 1820 cameo ring I recovered over 3 feet under the bottom of the lake. I was extremely pleased with my excal purchase and couldnt be happier until the last 5 water hunts. The audio became real quiet and fuzzy sounding. After a quck inspection of the "ear cup speakers" ( I assume that describes them good enough) I noticed the clear silicone poured in the ear cup appeared to be falling apart and exposed the wires where they inserted into the ear cups. I sent my excal to Aurora Illinois to be repaired over the winter since thats our down time in Michigan.

After three weeks I finally recieved a call and was told the "peltor kit" I replaced the Koss headphones with prevented Minelab from conducting a pressure test or doing further testing. This would prevent the repair facility from determining if my headphones were faulty due to the crappy silicone job done at the factory when my detectors were made. The guy I spoke to kept telling me the "pressure test" simulates the detector being submerged to 200 feet, but the "Peltor Kits" are only usually submersible to 8-20 feet, since he was very familiar with these kits and has tested them in the past..... I think he was making stuff up since Peltor is a ballistic hearing protection, not a upgrade "kit" sold for detectors.
"John" was extremely rude and wouldnt let me explain the process of fitting the factory speakers and plastic frames to the Peltor cups...He was just plain belligerant at one point and told me he would prove his point by destroying the existing headphones on my detector in his "water test", then he would charge me $260.00 for a new pair of the factory Koss headphones before sending it back to me.....WTF

I spoke to "Jeff", Johns manager and pretty much was told to just pay the 300 and get new headphones since my Peltors violated thier policy's and warranty.....I told them to send my machine back and I would fix the problem myself...Hell, it appears the warranty is already void, at least in Aurora Illinois....Jeff told me the detectors are not assembled there and he wouldnt be able to compare my headphone internal components with a stock set of Koss headphones since he didnt have another detector at the shop..... NICE

Just FYI...Ive owned many detecors and currently own 4 minelabs totaling 6000 dollars...Ive owned Whites in the past and couldnt say enough about thier customer service, Im sure you've heard...THEY ARE LIKE FAMILY!!!

Jeff at Minelab told me two years ago the factory in Vegas was closed and all of thier employees were (FAMILY VALUES). The company started over and rehired new employees and changed thier policies. Minelab used to be able to replace factory excal headphones with different waterproof variants for a small cost. Also, as described earlier this "peltor" modification would not have voided your warranty in the past...BUT IT DOES NOW.. Im glad they replaced thier employees and are not taking care of customers which purchase these 1500.00 detectors. It makes perfect sense since most companies and most people dont stand behind thier product anymore these days.....Just my thought and advice ... hopefully make a better decision than I did by trying to "upgrade" my headphones so I could recover targets more effectively.

Sincerley
Michigan Disabled Veteren
(service related hearing loss)

Semper Fi,
Craig

Upvote 0

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personnally,and this is just me talking. If I worked on your roof and you decided to go make modifications to what I did originally and then your roof leaked, I'd tell you my warranty no longer applied.

Same thing if you bought a toaster from me and added new wires to make it hotter, faster. You changed it, sorry charlie.

Maybe someone else will chime in and give you their opinion, but I would not expect a company to stand behind anything that I modified by myself.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Craig, I upgraded my Excalibur like you did and hoped it would not cause any warranty issues later on. Well I screwed it up and the Minelab Transducers (speaker silicone) fell apart and I was in need to replace the entire headphones. Boy I am sure glad I did. I purchased a set of Gold Masters and can't say enought about them.(you all don't know what your missing) Now while I enjoy the hunt as much as I do the value of the finds!
I learned many years ago you need the right tools to get the job done, so the mods get the job done. So I figure if I buy a Excalibur and it finds what its cost in a few weeks who cares about warranty. My headphone upgrade alone was worth the loss of the warranty service. The machine nor minelab owes me nothing once the machine is paid for IMHO. Both my Minelabs machines have paid for them selfs by 20 times over in 3 years. I am going to buy a new back up Excalibur and cut the headphones off and put Gold Masters on it. I just couldn't go back to those crappy ones.I guess I would feel differently if I had the machines for years and found 500 dollars But that's just not the case. The mods make the machine better and its worth it!

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Buried Crap NJ said:
Craig, I upgraded my Excalibur like you did and hoped it would not cause any warranty issues later on. Well I screwed it up and the Minelab Transducers (speaker silicone) fell apart and I was in need to replace the entire headphones. Boy I am sure glad I did. I purchased a set of Gold Masters and can't say enought about them.(you all don't know what your missing) Now while I enjoy the hunt as much as I do the value of the finds!
I learned many years ago you need the right tools to get the job done, so the mods get the job done. So I figure if I buy a Excalibur and it finds what its cost in a few weeks who cares about warranty. My headphone upgrade alone was worth the loss of the warranty service. The machine nor minelab owes me nothing once the machine is paid for IMHO. Both my Minelabs machines have paid for them selfs by 20 times over in 3 years. I am going to buy a new back up Excalibur and cut the headphones off and put Gold Masters on it. I just couldn't go back to those crappy ones.I guess I would feel differently if I had the machines for years and found 500 dollars But that's just not the case. The mods make the machine better and its worth it!
Agreed---I had a few issues with my excal and it was taken care of immediately (when they were in transition) --we are all prone to bad days--maybe these guys who you talked to were not in the best of moods--you have the best--re-group and go get the gold. Life is too short--Keep us posted on your progress and smile. P.S. Appreciate your service --Thank You

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your problem, but any mod done to the Excal will void the warranty, that is why those of us who do the mods tell people "do not do any mod until it is no longer under warranty". I don't know where you read that it would not affect the warranty, I and many here who do the mods have repeatly said don't do mod on an excal that is still under warranty...

I install Cisco routers, if I take one of the stock fans out of one of the new routers under warranty and replace it with a non original Cisco stock fan or it is visible that I went into the router I void the warranty on it per Cisco.... The fans are plug and play, cost maybe $2.00 each on a $1500+ router just like the fan on your computer....

OP
OP
C

craigv3

Jan 2, 2010
GRASS LAKE
Detector(s) used
"well if I put a roof on your house and you modified it and it leaked I wouldnt warranty it either"....really.... That isnt at all what happened... The comparison would be this, you put a new roof on my house and addition after the fact, not altering the existing roofing. Then the damn roof starts to leak in a different spot. The addition had no effect on the way the roofing was layed, but you come up with a bullshit excuse not to warranty your work.. it sickens me.

I left many friends over sea's that I served with and I just feel disgusted sometimes that I dont see treatment I think the general public deserve's back here in the states. Im not asking for a new detector, just to fix the audio problem thats associated with the stock components of the headphones THAT WERE NEVER ALTERED INTERNALLY (just in size by 1/8"). Those damn headphones that cost 15.00 to build and install were offered to me for almost 300.00... really....Guess Im stuborn or just expecting more than most people.. either way those of you from Michigan that know me know how I am...I'd give you the shirt off my back and live by standards most dont.. Sorry we disagree, but I'm sure some agree..

Thanks for your comments.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Posted below is Minelab's warranty. This comes with the detector when purchased new. Excluding alterations and modifications is pretty much standard for any product warranty.

The fact that so many people are making modifications to the Excalibur should send a clear message to Minelab that their product needs a major design overhaul. I hardly ever see an Excalibur mounted on the factory stock shaft anymore. The other common mods are replacing the control knobs and the headphones. It's hard to understand why a $1,400 detector would have a set of headphones that won't stay put on the operators head. The original Gary Storm Excaliburs used the Bilsom muffs that Fisher and Tesoro use. They fit nice and tight and can be worn around the back of your head to allow a wide brim hat to be worn at the same time.

1. Subject to the terms and conditions outlined in this express warranty, Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd (ACN 008 208 446) (“Minelab”) warrants that its products (“Products”) will be free from defects in materials or workmanship for the periods specified in paragraph 2 (“Minelab’s Warranty”).
2. Minelab’s Warranty periods are as follows (“Warranty Periods”):
2.1 Electronic control boxes (with the exception of the Excalibur), Minelab branded search coils, handles, shafts, headphones, bags and battery chargers are under warranty for a period of 3 years (36 months) from the date of retail purchase as set out in the Warranty Registration Card (“Date of Purchase”).
2.2 The Excalibur is warranted for a period of 1 year (12 months) from the Date of Purchase.
2.3 Batteries and all accessory items not listed in paragraph 2.1 or paragraph 2.2 are under warranty for a period of 6 months from the Date of Purchase.
3. This warranty will not be effective unless:
3.1 the Warranty Registration Card is completed (either online or in hard copy) and returned to Minelab within 14 days of the Date of Purchase;
3.2 Minelab is notified in writing of any alleged defect within 30 calendar days of the Purchaser first becoming aware of the alleged defect. All notifications to Minelab must be sent to Minelab’s Australian, United States or Europe, Middle East & Africa address; and
3.3 after notifying Minelab of the alleged defect, the Purchaser complies with all reasonable directions issued by Minelab in relation to the assessment of the fault and the return and/or repair of the relevant Products (in accordance with clause 5).
4. To the maximum extent permitted by law this warranty:
4.1 is extended to the purchaser identified in the Warranty Registration Card (“Purchaser”) and is transferable to a legitimate subsequent owner residing within the country of the original purchase;
4.2 does not extend to any indirect or consequential loss or damage, including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss suffered as a result of a failure in the operation or performance of the Products sold, repaired or serviced;
4.3 does not cover any loss of income or expenses claimed or incurred as a result of failure of the Products;
4.4 does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, negligent act or omission, alteration, modifications or unauthorised service by the Purchaser or any other party;
4.5 commences on the Date of Purchase and expires at the end of the relevant Warranty Period;
4.6 is limited to operation of the Products under normal use and in accordance with Minelab’s printed instructions; and
4.7 is limited to repair, replacement or service (at Minelab’s sole discretion) of any part or parts which are returned to Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre, and which on Minelab’s examination conclusively appears to be defective.
5. Purchasers must return any defective Products to one of Minelab’s Office addresses (see below) or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre (as listed on Minelab’s website www.minelab.com), as determined by the location of the Purchaser. The Purchaser is responsible for all freight, insurance, taxes, duties and any costs of returning the relevant Product to Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre. If it is determined that the Purchaser’s warranty claim is valid, the repaired or replaced Product will be returned to the Purchaser at Minelab’s cost. If the claim is determined by Minelab to be invalid, the Purchaser will be responsible for meeting the costs of having the relevant Product returned to it, together with the costs of repair/replacement of the Product by Minelab (if any).
6. Minelab’s Warranty is limited as set out above. Subject to all relevant laws in each jurisdiction within which the warranty operates, and clauses 7, 8 and 9 below, no other warranty, guarantee or representation as to the Products or their performance is made or given by Minelab.
7. The benefits conferred by this warranty are in addition to all other non-excludable warranties, conditions, guarantees, rights and remedies in respect of the Products that a warranty holder may have under the Australian Consumer Law as set out in Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (“ACL”) and corresponding laws in each jurisdiction within which the warranty operates from time to time (“Non-Excludable Terms”).
8. To the extent permitted by law, Minelab’s liability for any Non-Excludable Term applicable under the ACL or equivalent laws is limited to (at Minelab’s option):
8.1 in the case of goods - replacement of the goods or the supply of equivalent goods, repair of the goods, payment of the cost of replacing the goods or acquiring equivalent goods, or payment of the costs of having the goods repaired; and
8.2 in the case of services - the supply of the services again or payment of the cost of having the services supplied again.
9. Minelab provides the following advice to all Purchasers who are consumers as defined by the ACL and to whom the ACL applies, as required by the ACL:
9.1 Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
9.2 Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods. Please note that the term “major failure” as used in clause 9.1 has a defined meaning under the ACL.
10. Minelab advises Purchasers that any servicing or repair of the Products undertaken by Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre, regardless of whether undertaken as a result of a valid claim being made by a Purchaser under Minelab’s Warranty, may result in the loss of data stored on the Products (user-generated data).
11. If any provision of this document is prohibited, invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, that provision will, as to that jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of the prohibition, invalidity or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions of this document or affecting the validity or enforceability of that provision in any other jurisdiction.

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
I really think the manufacturers are missing the boat by not offering an upgraded headphone as an option. I would gladly pay the difference. I own two Sand Sharks and talked to the factory about my hearing problem and the possibility of upgrading, I was told to turn the volume up.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Craig and buried crap in NJ, what do you guys think went wrong to cause the silicone to break down?

I really don’t care about the warranty issue, as I bought my minelab understanding that their customer service brings a lot of negative feedback. ( In fact I have experienced their lameness 1st hand.)

I would like to hear more details on how the peltor mod may have caused your headphones to fail or deteriorate or from guys that have had the mod for a while, if there are any special care you take to avoid problems.

Thanks.

PS Craig if it was me I wouldn’t pay minelab that high rate just to go back to stock phones, Better to put that money toward a set of after market phones as someone else suggested.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John, Harold here, I sent in a letter to minelab and was telling them that they should change the things that they have problems all the time with and they sent me back a letter and it said that they wasn't changing nothing and i told them about their warranty how a lot of the others have the lifetime and they said they wasn't changing that either, and if i didn't like that buy something different with a longer warranty, i thought that was very rude of the way he answered me and the way they they are going to keep it. Harold

John (west central FL) said:
Posted below is Minelab's warranty. This comes with the detector when purchased new. Excluding alterations and modifications is pretty much standard for any product warranty.

The fact that so many people are making modifications to the Excalibur should send a clear message to Minelab that their product needs a major design overhaul. I hardly ever see an Excalibur mounted on the factory stock shaft anymore. The other common mods are replacing the control knobs and the headphones. It's hard to understand why a $1,400 detector would have a set of headphones that won't stay put on the operators head. The original Gary Storm Excaliburs used the Bilsom muffs that Fisher and Tesoro use. They fit nice and tight and can be worn around the back of your head to allow a wide brim hat to be worn at the same time.

1. Subject to the terms and conditions outlined in this express warranty, Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd (ACN 008 208 446) (“Minelab”) warrants that its products (“Products”) will be free from defects in materials or workmanship for the periods specified in paragraph 2 (“Minelab’s Warranty”).
2. Minelab’s Warranty periods are as follows (“Warranty Periods”):
2.1 Electronic control boxes (with the exception of the Excalibur), Minelab branded search coils, handles, shafts, headphones, bags and battery chargers are under warranty for a period of 3 years (36 months) from the date of retail purchase as set out in the Warranty Registration Card (“Date of Purchase”).
2.2 The Excalibur is warranted for a period of 1 year (12 months) from the Date of Purchase.
2.3 Batteries and all accessory items not listed in paragraph 2.1 or paragraph 2.2 are under warranty for a period of 6 months from the Date of Purchase.
3. This warranty will not be effective unless:
3.1 the Warranty Registration Card is completed (either online or in hard copy) and returned to Minelab within 14 days of the Date of Purchase;
3.2 Minelab is notified in writing of any alleged defect within 30 calendar days of the Purchaser first becoming aware of the alleged defect. All notifications to Minelab must be sent to Minelab’s Australian, United States or Europe, Middle East & Africa address; and
3.3 after notifying Minelab of the alleged defect, the Purchaser complies with all reasonable directions issued by Minelab in relation to the assessment of the fault and the return and/or repair of the relevant Products (in accordance with clause 5).
4. To the maximum extent permitted by law this warranty:
4.1 is extended to the purchaser identified in the Warranty Registration Card (“Purchaser”) and is transferable to a legitimate subsequent owner residing within the country of the original purchase;
4.2 does not extend to any indirect or consequential loss or damage, including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss suffered as a result of a failure in the operation or performance of the Products sold, repaired or serviced;
4.3 does not cover any loss of income or expenses claimed or incurred as a result of failure of the Products;
4.4 does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, negligent act or omission, alteration, modifications or unauthorised service by the Purchaser or any other party;
4.5 commences on the Date of Purchase and expires at the end of the relevant Warranty Period;
4.6 is limited to operation of the Products under normal use and in accordance with Minelab’s printed instructions; and
4.7 is limited to repair, replacement or service (at Minelab’s sole discretion) of any part or parts which are returned to Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre, and which on Minelab’s examination conclusively appears to be defective.
5. Purchasers must return any defective Products to one of Minelab’s Office addresses (see below) or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre (as listed on Minelab’s website www.minelab.com), as determined by the location of the Purchaser. The Purchaser is responsible for all freight, insurance, taxes, duties and any costs of returning the relevant Product to Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre. If it is determined that the Purchaser’s warranty claim is valid, the repaired or replaced Product will be returned to the Purchaser at Minelab’s cost. If the claim is determined by Minelab to be invalid, the Purchaser will be responsible for meeting the costs of having the relevant Product returned to it, together with the costs of repair/replacement of the Product by Minelab (if any).
6. Minelab’s Warranty is limited as set out above. Subject to all relevant laws in each jurisdiction within which the warranty operates, and clauses 7, 8 and 9 below, no other warranty, guarantee or representation as to the Products or their performance is made or given by Minelab.
7. The benefits conferred by this warranty are in addition to all other non-excludable warranties, conditions, guarantees, rights and remedies in respect of the Products that a warranty holder may have under the Australian Consumer Law as set out in Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) (“ACL”) and corresponding laws in each jurisdiction within which the warranty operates from time to time (“Non-Excludable Terms”).
8. To the extent permitted by law, Minelab’s liability for any Non-Excludable Term applicable under the ACL or equivalent laws is limited to (at Minelab’s option):
8.1 in the case of goods - replacement of the goods or the supply of equivalent goods, repair of the goods, payment of the cost of replacing the goods or acquiring equivalent goods, or payment of the costs of having the goods repaired; and
8.2 in the case of services - the supply of the services again or payment of the cost of having the services supplied again.
9. Minelab provides the following advice to all Purchasers who are consumers as defined by the ACL and to whom the ACL applies, as required by the ACL:
9.1 Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
9.2 Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods. Please note that the term “major failure” as used in clause 9.1 has a defined meaning under the ACL.
10. Minelab advises Purchasers that any servicing or repair of the Products undertaken by Minelab or a Minelab Authorised Service Centre, regardless of whether undertaken as a result of a valid claim being made by a Purchaser under Minelab’s Warranty, may result in the loss of data stored on the Products (user-generated data).
11. If any provision of this document is prohibited, invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, that provision will, as to that jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of the prohibition, invalidity or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions of this document or affecting the validity or enforceability of that provision in any other jurisdiction.

OP
OP
C

craigv3

Jan 2, 2010
GRASS LAKE
Detector(s) used
Thats specifically my point.... I might have just typed too much and everyone missed my point. Once the stock headphones were disassembled the silicone was already falling apart! That's what I'm saying, it was nothing I did!!! Prob poor build at the shop, factory defect! Regardless of policy

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Over the past ten years or so I've had my Excal issues and have gone around
and around, over and under with John and other tech's.
They are just tech's working with what is and will be until Minelab decides
to change or upgrade the Excal.
I had headphones die twice
Cracked housings, both controls and batteries at least 6 times.
The repair time and return to Hawaii is at least 3 months.
After all the bitching, whining, moaning and groaning I still realized that there was
no other detector out there that could do what the Excal could when I need it to.
I like my Sandshark but I need my Excal for certain conditions and situations.
If you can find thousands of dollars in gold and other goodies each year, you can
certainly afford a few hundred to repair and maintain your equipment.
You have to maintain your car your house and everything else. Nothing runs and operates forever...
I finally bought another Excal so when one is down I always have a backup.
Lifes too short to be bogged down and frustrated over something you can do nothing about.
Besides "there's gold to be found on them there beaches".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By doing any modification at all to excal it voids warranty, if you open the headphones up you have essentially voided the warranty. My hunting partner Davespen does mods on Excals and he does fantastic work, I suggest you get a pair of headphones you want installed and send them along with your controls to dave and he will hard wire them into you control module. Your warranty is already voided so your losing nothing. I guarantee it will come back to you in better condition than the original stock phones.

Dave is in South East Asia detecting at the moment, but he will be returning in just a couple weeks.....

socom

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ptr-91,SocomII,MIAI,Ruger#1,Excal,CZ-21,Sandshark,X-5,X-2,Sov,MXT,6000Di,ToltecII,etc
So much for adding some extra steel to the Humvee,might void the warranty on the drive train

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
TreasureHunter is right, Dave is great on those repairs, many one can do by themself
's with a little care. On the silicon letting go, I have never seen it but anything is possible, specially with the new excalibur II's. They sure don't build them like they use too, infact I would have a hard time buying a New Excalibur II.

Buzzers, old and new..by the way those piezo buzzers cost about one dollar....

Attachments

• addo.jpg
    addo.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,325
  • on.jpg
    on.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,343
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,395

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few things that every Excalibur owner ends up changing on his/her detector. Headphone comfort has been lacking on the Excalibur for a long time. The Excalibur is sold as a diver detector with a piece of crap stock shaft. There should be an option on the shaft just like coil size. This is just another example of a company not listening to it's customers. Some day in the future Minelab will pay some business analysis company millions of dollars to find out where it all went wrong.

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
All these years of complaints :argue: :argue:and I see the same talk over and over again ,Mine lab needs to put on their hearing aids :icon_scratch:and comply with what the people are complaining about :evil5: :evil5: . They're just sitting back and Letting this company just go down the drain with their customer satisfaction . Golfing and drinking doesnt make a company :BangHead:

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Minelab's electronic technology is the best and they know it. We buy their detectors because they find the goods. Most of us don't care if we have to own two Excaliburs to keep one in service. Minelab knows this and therefore has no incentive to improve the durability or ergonomics. What they need is some serious competition!

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would Minelab change anything as long as people like in this Forum keep buying them?
You want to make them change stop buying their products.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
My new Excal II lasted a day be for extreme falsing. Could only pick up a dime at 2". Returned it. The shop ordered four new detectors. All four had to be sent back because coil could not connect to saft. My first one sent back could never be fixed. Luckly I found one that was made in Ireland :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread