Do you have a method to your beach hunts?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious... I've been working my way around different beaches over the past few weeks, along the same stretch of coastline... and I've been noticing a few things.. My best finds seem to happening closer to the high tide level, which isn't what I would have expected. Perhaps that changes due to times of the year, tidal changes, and storms?? Certain beaches seem to be producing more then others.... There's a stretch of beach where tons of coins and stuff was coming up... However... As soon as I got nearby a certain hotel resort... Which I would have expected to be a gold mine.... Nearly no targets to speak of... It's almost like they dumped three feet of sand over a mile stretch where the resort is. Once past it... More targets again?? Very strange.

I've been making mental notes about my night beach hunts, so I can have a plan of action for hunts in the future.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot, where are you located? Location has alot to do with the way one plans a hunt, along with the detector that gives the best results. Detector and location?

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida... Gulf coast side. Rarely does the sand move around much here, unless there's a big storm er something... The gulf shore is very calm... It's like one big pond.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, been there a few times, Nice Calm waters... Naples, FM,CC, AnnMaria...with a little luck. Have you a hunting partener, most of the old hunters know the tricks of the area. A few weeks with them is a excellent way to increase your knowledge ..I have meet a few and just the few times hunting and watching is more then one could learn in a year.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stretch your hunting thats dry is where everyone and their bro are hunting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
You can learn a lot from ole Norm at this site. The Golden Olde. http://web.archive.org/web/20090406063943/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Each beach is different as to where the people go and how items are concentrated in the sand. Around the hotels is where most of the hunters go so the pickings are slim there most times.

Sandman, there is a listing for a

"Ken Williams San Pedro, Costa Rica"

under metal detecting partners.
I am interested in going to Costa Rica and want to know what I can from a local there, so far this
has been the only link I have ever seen from someone on the ground.
But the email address put there is defective.
any info do you know ?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now see this site is so out of date that most of the pictures and links are bad.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I saw this link about a week or two ago... and yes... some really great tips there... The stuff about deep targets coming up a notch or two lower on the VDI, and mimic-ing trash and setting the Desc. to the lowest setting really helped me out a lot.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
TORRERO said:
I now see this site is so out of date that most of the pictures and links are bad.

Click on the link again. When you get Ken Williams, rotate the scroll knob. Link works for me everytime.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090406063943/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Not sure if you understand what I am saying....
I get to the page, I get to the "hunting Partners tab" and I scroll down to "Costa Rica" where there is
a listing for a "Ken Williams" but if I click his name, only part of his e-mail address comes up.
Was wondering if you knew anyone from Costa Rica who Metal Detects there.
because I have been unable to locate anyone or any links on the web to indicate anyone has ever hunted there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread