CZ-21 or Surf Pro PI Salt water Beach Hunters PLEASE reply !!

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you in advance for looking. I have almost made my choice on a detector to purchase at the end of this month. I like the CZ-21 because it is a multi purpose machine (salt water-beach-parks-etc) and has some disc, plus able to chest mount. But how is it in finding gold in the heavy mineralized salt water ? and how is it's depth as compared to say a PI. My other choice is the White's Surf Pro PI, but that is kind of restricted to very clean areas where iron is not plentiful as it basically has no desc settings.
Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently had to send my old CZ-20 8" to Fisher for repair. Their policy now is to turn CZ-20s into CZ-21s. When I got it back everything looked brand new except for the headphones. I took it out today for the first time since it was "repaired". I don't know what they did but this thing is working better than ever. I was hunting chest deep in salt water. I was able to run the machine at full sensitivity with very few false signals. Some of the coins I dug were unbelievably deep. I think some of the quarters had to be close to 18 inches deep. I'm a big Excalibur fan but I was very impressed with the CZ-21 today.

I know some people will disagree but I would not recommend a PI, especially if you want to use it for dirt hunting too. The CZ-21 is a great all around detector. Keep in mind that I use mine in an area with zero mineralization. Your results may vary in mineralized soils. When I've used mine in upstate NY I have found that proper ground balancing is critical for good target ID.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John is correct in the CZ-20/21. My CZ20 is still going strong and doesn't need the upgrade yet. Ground balance is easy and some places you need to check it often as it isn't a set it and forget it. I have the Fisher chest mount harness and it is no trouble this way. I also have the land version in the CZ-6a which can be worn while wading if need be. This is for the dry land and it is under rated by a long shot. I use the sniper coil on land but for the Cz20 it has the ten inch coil.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The CZ 20/21's have been around a long time and are very good machines. Will they go as deep as a PI, in most cases no. Are they more enjoyable to hunt with than a PI, yes. There is no perfect machine, just the guy behind the detector that makes the finds. I liked my CZ 20 but I wore it out and the "new" Fisher company and I had differences of opinions on what was needed to repair it.

The CZ 21 will be more versatile than a PI, but that depends on how you are going to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread