DUAL FIELD EARPADS crummy POS

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
MY NEW DUAL FIELD 1 yr old used 4x.pristine, hasnt even seen a battery change yet.

ear cushions are glued onto headphone speaker enclosure with a very thin sticky base.

one side fell off already and the other side is slipping.

the adhesive used is something akin to what u would use to seal a letter.

whites proudly proclaims buy american. yeah right.same short cut manf techniques as china.

now i can waste part of my hunting time goin to walmart to get some shoe goo.

and glue these properly

Upvote 0

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet if you would take the time to return them White's would make it right.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Go Silicon Gel Pads...Like having your head between two.xxxx.........then use AquaSeal to put them on with, bet they will be there when you find your last Gold....Or go the Peltor Mod...But White's and Garrett have the best CS of all, sure they would help for nothing.....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/headsetsincearseals.php

Attachments

• DSC_6819.jpg
    DSC_6819.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 481

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know if you keep things like a metal detector in a garage that has a water heater or especially a fridge or any kind of electric motor, it can rapidly degrade glues and some types of rubber. It will really degrade a cars plastics. Ozone is created and destroys all that. They must be kept inside the house. Or somewhere where there is no ozone production. I have 2 White's Surfmasters and both are 15 years old at least, and both still have the same earphones, no problems, except they are not real tight. Never were. I do plan to do OBNs swap on them.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Obn, do you think the silicone gel pads will work on detectors used for diving (Excal and DF)?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They should work fine. Plus the air filled ones will compress at depth, the gel filled wont.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve is right, just make sure you use Aqua Seal to put them on with, the regular adhesive is good for about one year, the AquaSealed ones of mine have been on for 3 years with no letting up. The Peltor Earpads at 42 bucks are the best but they have a couple little air holes that will fill with a very small amount of water..when I first used them under, I though they had ruptured but after watching them..I noticed the holes were there for a reason.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
My DF had the same problem after about a year and a half. I just used rubber cement and it seems to have worked fine. Now that you mention it, I am sure Shoe Goo would have made a more perminant fix. The detector cuff broke in half at the seam within the first year and the thumb screw holding the cuff onto the shaft fell off the first time I used the detector. (I did not realize the cuff was movable, since my Tesoro cuff is fixed, and the manual said nothing about it. I did not realize I had to be sure to tighten the thumb screw that was not tight when it left the factory.) Whites would likely have made the repairs under warranty, but that is not the point. Who wants to pay to send a new detector back under warranty and be without the detector while it is being repaired. I made a new cuff out of scrap SS I had laying around, put a SS bolt to replace the missing thumbscrew and spent a lot less downtime by doing it myself. It is just a shame to get a new product that needs to be sent back under warranty. A real hassle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread