hunting techniques

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hunt dry sand and have only found some change and one junker ring.After 15 hours of hunting and not finding much I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong? Please discuss dry sand techniques when to go what to look for. I new and I just kind go out there and try what looks good to me. I have a friend who hunts that I need to talk too sometime. Delray beach Fl. Maybe just by using Google images you can help find me a good beach? I heard up north of me hunting is better. I Am extremely new and any advice if helpful thanks. I'm using a Tesoro silver u max.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the discrim. just below foil on the uMax, the gold will come. Don't go too fast. Hunt the chair line, the towel line, and the toe of the sand just before it meets the wet sand, slap on the high tide line.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've already received some good advice.

Here's some more.

Concentrate on making sure you are swinging the coil as low and as level as possible. I see some people swinging it like a pendulum or it looks
like they are practicing their golf swing.

There's no point going out and using poor technique. At that point, you're just out there for the exercise and the scenery.

BTW my avatar was found with my Silver Umax w/ 3x18 coil in the dry sand a few years back. It is 16.9 grams of 18k Tiffany & Co.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
BTW my avatar was found with my Silver Umax w/ 3x18 coil in the dry sand a few years back. It is 16.9 grams of 18k Tiffany & Co.

That was a nice score! CWB has its fair share of "speed walkers" -- I find em hilarious and gives me good chuckles for hours when im visiting there. Also got one guy who is the same, plus the pendulum AND dresses like he is an orange fire plug, hes my favorite, lol.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
willie d said:

That was a nice score! CWB has its fair share of "speed walkers" -- I find em hilarious and gives me good chuckles for hours when im visiting there. Also got one guy who is the same, plus the pendulum AND dresses like he is an orange fire plug, hes my favorite, lol.
Thank you.
I used to talk to some of them and politely suggest leveling out their swing. Most times I would get a disgusted look and they would say something under their breath as they walked away. Now I don't bother anymore. More goodies for me. :icon_pirat:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
also mate 15 hrs without gold / silver trinkets would not be uncommon. It is so unpredictable - I scored big in January - all in water, but got gold skunked in Feb after many hours and in prime places in and out of the water with a slow and level technique (though it rained coins and silver rings - picked up another with a blue topaz on Tuesday). That uMax will find reasonably deep gold if you are above it, I don't reckon you can go wrong if you take above advice - it is just time and amount of swings in likely places .... it will happen, hang in there - and when it does it will be worth the wait - one really decent goldie will pay for that uMax many times over - so 15 hrs is nothing in the bigger picture - get out there.......... :whip2:

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
also don't overlook the paths and "path mouths" - people are either putting away or taking out goodies on this transition from land to beach - +grid grid grid - otherwise you are left wondering - aimless wandering is fun but you could maybe pick a spot and saturate it with swings over a week - really find out if anything is there - hunt further or move on accordingly.............

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could buy a beach detecting book but x thousand people will have bought it before you and will be searching the same "best" spots.

I hit the beach at first light for a few hours and rotate between 17 beaches. Still have to use deep detectors and run the discrimination lower than anyone else to gain an edge. I don't mind digging foil as you never know what its masking. My alternative to deep machines is an XLT with the 18 x 3 Bigfoot coil. Not great depth but the area covered is so big you can work twice the beach area of anyone else. As its a four filter detector you can also sweep twice as fast which gains depth rather than losing it as you would with most machines if swept to fast.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
You have got some good advice here, but to comment on the 15 hours of hunting and not finding much.......as many hunters as there are on the beaches now 15 hours and not finding much is becoming the norm. Follow all of the suggestions here, slow your swing down, listen for the barely audible weak tones of deep targets miss by other "go fast" hunters and report back after another 15 hours and let us know if any of the help worked. If it was easy ...everybody would be doing it.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold in the first 15 hours would be awesome, no question.

It took me 5 years to find gold with my detector on a heavily hunted beach.

Heck, I found a men's 14k wedding ring (which was returned to it's owner) just sitting on top of the wood chips while attending a Bday party at a park.

This was about 2 years after I started hunting.

When I finally swung the coil over my first gold........you would've thought I hit the powerball.

Hang in there and keep swingin'.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me say i doubt you are going to get much help in finding productive beaches for you to hunt...... thats on you. If a beach is producing you can bet its being kept quiet. Sorry but thats the way it is. Those fast swingers are just going for recent drops and trying to cover a LOT of beach. You can hunt differently and improve or at least come away with some good targets they just plain swung over because of bad technique. Hunt slow, low, and grid an active beach early or late in the evening. Dragging a scoop behind you is a great way to grid. There are a lot more targets on the dry sand so you have to dig everything you know isnt iron. Many of the beaches arent as dirty now in Fl..... why because there are a lot of hunters now especially on the dry sand.... everyone with a stick is hunting. That means the more experienced hunters are spending more time on the beach than they used to as well.... which relates to less targets. Dont loose site of the reason you detect.... its a hobby not a job, dont stress and enjoy yourself first and be pleasantly surprised.

Dew

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:D going slow and low seems to work for me ;D lately on one beach i must stop to fill in the deep holes that someone??? leaves,
oh well

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
great advice I saw beach cleaner tracks after going out for 1.5 hours last night 57 cents was the take some foil was detected

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions