Is a 7mm Wetsuit enough protection in 45 degree salt water ?

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hoping to start detecting the salt water beach areas up here in in New England, which right now has a water temp of about 45 degrees. I went to the local dive shop today to get a mesh bag, and the guy there told me that even with the 7mm wet suit, I was still going to freeze me a*s off. Is there anyone out there that has experiance with this. I have the Neo-Sport, neoprene farmer Johns, top jacket type, boots and gloves. I only plan to go to chest height at most.
Thank you for any info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks petersra, that make me feel a little better.
HH

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If your young, I would say that is extreme. Lotta things play into the equation like air temp, wind, and how you deal with the cold, I tried the lower 60's before and I have come to the conclusion I like staying dry, warm and "comfortable". Just getting out of the water, with the wind (and it's always blowing) I don't like it...and your further north then me.......Anything below 65 ........Drysuit. You have the goods, only one way to find out....Go for it......let us know...
Take someone with you for safety reasons

Comfortable.........Providing physical ease and relaxation. My favorite........
The MSD900, one of a kind work/drysuit. 3 modular layers are integrated into one unit to provide optimal protection, Thermal Layer, Immersion Module, Outer Shell
Ebay 340.oo New with Tags

Attachments

• Msd900L.jpg
    Msd900L.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,054

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have experience in this as I used to dive under the ice to retrieve drowned snowmobiles. It isn't fun even with a dry suit as I didn't use a full face mask. But there are methods for keeping the body warmer even when wading. Make sure the suit fits GOOD so water doesn't move around. Have a spine pad in the jacket as this also keeps water to a minimum movement. There are chemical heaters you can insert around your middle to help warm the water. Wear good dive boots with tight closures and the best gloves you can afford. When in the water if you get water in your sleeves and you will, don't raise arms to allow water to hit armpits. Helps to wear thermo long johns to slow water movement around skin. If your just wading you'll be fine for awhile, but a lot depends on your attitude too. Changing out of wet suit in the cold isn't for the weak of heart. I could never get used to a dry suit as it seemed the neck closure was always too tight, but it is warmer. An I didn't have to pee so often then. Wear the best hood you can get too and your going to have to get used to the detector sounds though the hood. Don't cut holes in the hood for the sound unless you aren't planning on dunking the head. I also tried using a vest but my suit then was to tight.
Its a whole new ball game in the winter water and only to be done if the ole lady wants you to take her shopping.
Geez, the things I used to do for fun......... :icon_scratch:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is like me - (this is for cold water hunting=winter hunting )- I dont like hood= headphones would slip off all the time - I would just hit at shoulder depth - now and then you get a splashdown your neck - gets your attention - I wear a mask but only stick my face in quick to see when I get a hit
we had guys up here years ago - that wore dry suits and got a slice in their dry suits and filled up like a water balloon- both guys barely made it back to shore
then theres the other way to make a dry suit into a wet suit - you better have a strong bladder
I tell everyone - I get tired before i get tired with the set up I have now
took a lot of trial and error to get it just right though - every one is different
living in N.E. waters my whole life - its easy
I can head down to Fla. in winters and just wear a tee shirt and trunks
Fla. I guys I know still have to wear a heavy suit to water hunt
our warmest summer waters - still dont come close to their coldest waters
I wrote and article on winter water hunting - anyone interested - Pm me and I will send link

OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the replies and pictures guys, as any info can be helpfull to me in one way or another. I keep a folder of all pertainant information to reread over and over.
Best of luck to all.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another thing about heavier wet suits....the heavier the wetsuit is the more buoyant you will be. Wearing a heavy wetsuit can require a wet belt just to be able to stay on the target and dig it. Personally, I prefer a lighter wetsuit, 3 mil for FL and if it's to cold I take more breaks to warm up. Taking a break for me is coming out of the water, hunting the wet sand for a few minutes, then back into the water.

OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can Slaw, I understand the need for a weight belt for diving because you are lying horizontal, but in the case for me wading chest deep, it was suggested that I use ankle weights.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Weight belt you can cut loose in a emergency ....don't thing I have every seen anyone use ankle weights....maybe I've not been around long enought to see that one..maybe someone can Enlighten me on that? The location is right but for safety reasons it's not?

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN said:
Weight belt you can cut loose in a emergency ....don't thing I have every seen anyone use ankle weights....maybe I've not been around long enought to see that one..maybe someone can Enlighten me on that? The location is right but for safety reasons it's not?

OBN,
OMG! the 3m headphone mod is frickin great! Can't even compare to the stock $hittt!! Wow if ML only spent maybe 1$ more for the 1,300$!! Thanks :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:I should have done this when my 1 year w was up!!

Buff,
I use a 7m wetsuit and find gold all winter!!! ;D I also freeze my balls off! If it's only wast deep then I use waders and really good gloves! Weight belt, about 30 lbs.! be careful if you get cold (this is when I can't feel anything) get out! I'm an advanced scuba diver and have surfed in cold water for more than 20 years, like others have stated it all depends on your abilitys! Always be carefull and have safety come first!!!

GL&HH SnT :icon_pirat:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7mm suits are popular around here for diving when the water temps at depth are down below 60 degrees. I would think you'd be pretty well off wading in 45+ deg water in a 7mm suit.

Since ice out, I just started using my hunting waders for cold weather detecting in the water around here, breathable cabela's brand warrior II's, w/elbow length neoprene gloves (3mm+?). Very toasty warm in the waders. Kinda use the detector to feel for grade changes.

Was out detecting in Lake Michigan this afternoon, Chicago, water temp in the upper 30's, air temp was 31 (windchill probably 23'ish), snowing and blowing 15+ the whole time. An hour was about the limit for the neoprene gloves, probably due to the added windchill, they were fine the last trip out for a couple hours in 33 degree windless weather.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN said:

OBN here are the ankle weights I have used. They snap on and off is a second. Divers use them for correct orientation to keep them level in the water. There are also weights on snaps that you can attach to your BC rings. Depends on which fins I used I might want the ankle weights. They sometimes get hard to snap off.

Attachments

• Ankle  Weights.jpg
    Ankle Weights.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 771

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buff4 said:
Can Slaw, I understand the need for a weight belt for diving because you are lying horizontal, but in the case for me wading chest deep, it was suggested that I use ankle weights.

Waist deep leads to chest deep leads to stepping in a hole needing to release your weights FAST! Been there done that, I'll stick with my quick release weight belt. Good luck releasing TWO ankle weights in an emergency situation. Have you ever stepped in a tidal hole in the ocean with a strong current?

FYI, I have been diving since 1964 and water detecting since 1995, so I have been in a few emergency situations.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a quick release weight belt also - just a flick and it will drop - I am a larger fellow and have a bigger suit and have 60-70 lbs of weight
and yes 7mm is very buoyant - good thing sometimes
its like walking on the moon must feel - you will need weights if bottom is not soft
to help push into soil - if soft sand - you can get away sometimes without it and if you are staying in waist deep area

I get some of my boots - gloves and other wet stuff from these guys
http://www.nrsweb.com/
not cheap - but quality - and sometimes they have discontinued items
super cheap

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN,
OMG! the 3m headphone mod is frickin great! Can't even compare to the stock $hittt!!
Yes, Amazing what Minelabs could do for a few extra coins, but don't....Your a PP hunter so this Mod will be the ultimate..I can only imagine your Gold count at the end of the year.... :headbang:

Divers use them for correct orientation to keep them level in the water.
Thanks Sandman, I knew divers used them but never knew why, I was just hoping no one would use them for deep water detecting, and if they did?

FYI, I have been diving since 1964 and water detecting since 1995, so I have been in a few emergency situations.
CS we have to hook up in the future, You and Casper could write a book on this subject and sure both of you have some great stories.......

I get some of my boots - gloves and other wet stuff from these guys
http://www.nrsweb.com/
Good stuff there..will last years...

Sandy Point Hunter bouncing in the deep.......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped wearing a weight belt years ago when my hips dissappeared and the belt kept sliding off. I like the DUI weight harness as the weight is on your shoulders. To drop the weight you pull the two yellow rings and it drops the weight pockets and the rings float up off the bottom so you can retrieve them. I don't know if I could walk with my weights anymore.

Attachments

• DUI Weight Harness.jpg
    DUI Weight Harness.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,215
OP
OP
Buff4

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great replies folks.....thank you.
And rc2125, darn that lake is COLD... upper 30's !, plus and air temp of 30 with a wind, I don't think I would even brave those conditions. Suppose to hit 60 degrees here on Thursday, but water temp is still around 46-48. I may also follow one of the leads here on the chest waders. Lots of great input... thanks all.
HH

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I used some good expedition weight thermals under a wet suit in a mountain stream. I misjudged how cold the water would be and took too thin of a wet suit. The thermals really helped! The running water really pulls the heat away from your body. I could only stay in the water about 30 minutes at a time, then I would try to find a rock in the sun to lay on until I quit shaking, but it was worth it.

The next trip I tool a semi-dry suit. That worked pretty well, but the neck doesn't bother me. You might check one out.
Randyd

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I wear a custom made(Harvey's) 7 mil wetsuit and this winter dived in to November in
Lake Washington in Seattle. This be cold water, especially the top layer where I hang out.
Weight belt and lead shot in my back pack, which is only the harness and tank holder.
BC would get in the way. Boots, pull on style, not zippered. Zippered lets in too much water.
With you wading, a 7 mil wet suit should keep you comfortable enough to get in a couple
hours. You will most likely need some weight of some kind if you get in very deep.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread