CDNHappyhunter

Greenie
Jul 23, 2009
northern ontario
Detector(s) used
explorer 2 /whites BH300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Alrighty then, im a land lubber, new to the art of water hunting, so, here is what im asking,,,,,, any hints or tricks to digging in the water???? was out today, first time with the new gear, found a few coins and a old watch, but all to often i was diggin huge deep holes and not able to find the target!!!! drove me nuts! :laughing9:

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM with link to a bunch of water hunting articles I wrote - hope they help

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a quote to another person who requested help digging in water;

try this; the toe technique is a sound one, but with your previous wet sand experience, i think your trying to "scoop" your targets. this may be your problem. pinpoint, place your toe, move your detector, place your scoop. NOW with the tip of your scoop in the ground, extend your hand(the one holding scoop) forward. so that the back of the bucket is level with the ground. now step on the back of the bucket, driving it STRAIGHT down into the sand. as u pull the handle toward u, it will rotate and capture the target. if not relocate and try again. i hope this helps some good luck david

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, scoop like davidfl said, and do practice on the land. Practice like you are in the water, and use your toe to mark where the coil shows it close to the rear. Then slip the scoop right in front of your foot. You should scoop up the target. Center the target, and pull the coil toward you till it disapears, then push it forward until it just disapears, then push it forward till you find it again, it should be right at your toe. Practice this on the land.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck. Hamid HH

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would recommend the book "Gold Beneath the Waves" if you are just starting out water hunting. The evening spent with that book will really shorten the learning curve and probably put gold in your pocket MUCH sooner.

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Can Slaw, I just finished "Gold Beneath The Waves" after Casper2 alerted me to it..... A GREAT BOOK. A must read.
HH

airbear1988

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quickslilver Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved this Post thanks so Much for the Help as I will be doing my own first beach Hunting next week!!!

airbear1988

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quickslilver Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and GOodluck to you too!!!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds