Just picked up my new water rig used but in nice shape.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove out to meet a guy and just brought home a Excalibur 1000.
I had one before and the threshold drove me a little nuts the way it comes off targets.
But for the price I came back to the dark side. He had a chest mount for it and looks like maybe he made it? But I won't be using it. I will be mounting it to a DFX rod I have and putting on the knob protector and stand.
Might throw a couple more different color knobs on it to make it a little different.
It sat for two years should I change the rubber O-rings or just re grease them?

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 627
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the price of O -rings, I would replace them.I worked on a lot of air systems and hydraulic systems in the Navy.O rings get hard and brittle after a while.play it safe to avoid any leaking.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go back a few months at least. There was a post showing the exact sizes of each , part numbers, etc.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be easier if you just grease the endcaps, I use Dow111 or Aqualseal. The only way to replace the coil endcap O-Ring is to pull the PCB/mainboards. Head phone side is alittle easier..just unplug the white connector then slip the old off, and replace with the new by reversing. I do have all the O-Rings in EPDM or Silicon if needed. About 5 Dollars shipped for a complete overhaul..

Smaller oring 2 per shaft- 1.5mm thick x 3mm ID, 6mm OD.......................................10

top Oring 1 per shaft- 1.5mm thick x 5mm ID, 8mm OD..............................................5

the large end cap housing o ring- 3mm thick x 32mm ID, 38mm OD............................2

Attachments

• DSC_9073.jpg
    DSC_9073.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 869

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best metal detector. Hamid HH

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN said:
Might be easier if you just grease the endcaps, I use Dow111 or Aqualseal. The only way to replace the coil endcap O-Ring is to pull the PCB/mainboards. Head phone side is alittle easier..just unplug the white connector then slip the old off, and replace with the new by reversing. I do have all the O-Rings in EPDM or Silicon if needed. About 5 Dollars shipped
Thank you Joe for information.
I read all technics for you, its amazing. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
Hamid

OP
OP
GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried starting my DFX rod conversion but ran into a problem already.
As you can see in the pic I can't get the arm cuff on enough.
If I cut the cuff I can gain another 1/2 inch but I don't know if the anderson knob protector will fit if I buy it after doing this.
Any ideas or has someone done this before that can help guide me?
The only other thing I can think of is maybe copy the Anderson and mount the pods under the top rod.

One more question :)
They say the CAPS are heat shrink. Do I hit them with a heat gun when I replace the O-rings when putting it back together?

Attachments

• excal.jpg
    excal.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 505
  • excal1.jpg
    excal1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 548

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
On the heat shrink, head gun or 2 dab's of aquaseal sealer but hope you never have to take them off again..

99 percent of the time the first O-Rings to go on the Excalibur are the Top on the knob shaft..they dryrot, thats why silicon spraying under the knobs is very important.

Attachments

• removing top O ring.jpg
    removing top O ring.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Replacing Dryrot top o-ring.jpg
    Replacing Dryrot top o-ring.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Go down to lowes and get a piece of Aluminum, bends easy, make it into a U shape, drill 2 holes so you can mount to the shaft...then cut your slot for your cuff. I've use .080 before, very easy to work with.

OP
OP
GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help.
I have it in paint already was running around and came up with a copy of the anderson over under but using a DFX rod I had.
Didn't come out the best but doesn't look bad and has to be better than the stock rod LOL.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know what you paid for your Excal. If you want the O rings replaced, don't listen to the Mr. Fixit's on here. Send it back to Minelab in Aurora, IL. I just got mine back inside of a month. The Discrimination/Pinpoint switch went bad and they replaced it then gave me a 6 month repair warranty to boot. You try and do your O rings yourself and it leaks and water hits that Motherboard and "POOF", its finished. My O rings are new and the unit is sealed.

seabumm

Mar 22, 2012
Southern, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf II, Whites Beach 300,and Whites Surf PI.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats a really nice rig greenie...Hope it works out for ya''HH.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in business FLauthor 2009
My Minelab Excalibur developed coil problems back in July of this year. >:( Sent it back to factory and after a couple of weeks got it back and reassembled it but didn't get to use it till end of September at a favored water hole. I wear it in a hip mount configuration and after about 30 minutes it started to act irregular. I changed battery pack and turned it on and it was D-E-A-D. I thought what the heck? Examining the battery pack and it occurred to me there was an inch of water inside the electronics. The air shook from my rage. :angry4: Got home and sent it right back about October 5th. Got it back two weeks later, explanation that the end cap that coil wire passes through broke, (see photo) allowing water to enter housing. I reassembled it and turned it on. Nothing! Called Minelab and spoke with repairmen who worked on it and he asked me this and that and still nothing so it was returned. :angry5: Got it back today, reassembled and turned it on and it works like new again. Problem was a broken headphone wire. Lost 4 months of warm water hunting.​

FL, many of us have had similar experances with Minelabs over the years, that's why we have learned to repair our own. Your a good hunter, I'm surprised you have not done the same with your 1990 excalibur....That's 1990 right?

GM, Your Silicon O-Rings will be going out on Tuesday....I'll be doing a video within the next month on replacing all the O-Rings on the Excaliburs..From the VERY First New York Models (1994) to Present. If you have never done this before I would advice watching, it will make the job easy, and I will show how to test for Leaks....

OP
OP
GreenMeanie

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an update on the DFX Rod.
Please note I still have to get velcro for the cable and Andersons knob protector and maybe his stand too. But it is heavy enough already.

Attachments

• resizeddetector.jpg
    resizeddetector.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 290
  • resizedetector2.jpg
    resizedetector2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 283

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks Great! .......... She look's like a gold finding machine!!:thumbsup:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14::laughing7: :headbang:

FL, many of us have had similar experances with Minelabs over the years, that's why we have learned to repair our own. Your a good hunter, I'm surprised you have not done the same with your 1990 excalibur....That's 1990 right?

GM, Your Silicon O-Rings will be going out on Tuesday....I'll be doing a video within the next month on replacing all the O-Rings on the Excaliburs..From the VERY First New York Models (1994) to Present. If you have never done this before I would advice watching, it will make the job easy, and I will show how to test for Leaks....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread