Best PI machine for Salt beach

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about buying a PI machine for hunting the wet sand and shallow water(up to chest deep) of a salt water beach. I'm wondering what the opinions of everyone here are as to what PI machine is best for this application. I currently use an Excal II for the beach and it's been great, but I've heard there is a big depth advantage over the Excal when going to a PI machine. How deep can they actually get compared to the Excal? I don't mind digging a few more targets while on the beach if it gets me a few more goodies that are missed by the Excal. What's everyone's take on this? And what does anyone have experience with? Thanks for your help!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So then your answer to my question, "Do you own an Infinium?," would be "no?" Do you even know how to type without attacking someone or insulting them? My kids used to get time outs for their tantrums. I am disappointed that you ran out of facts and resorted to personal attacks. You took away your own credibility. I'm done responding to you. It is a giant waste of my time.

It must be a bitter pill that the Infinium is a better pure gold prospector than the Lobo Super Traq AND a better salt water beach detector than the Tesoro Sand Shark.

One thing, though. I wouldn't expect my Grandma to be capable of using the Infinium. She would do just fine with the Sand Shark, however.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also Known As Nameless. Kinda says it all. Anyway, I am just going to say once, that I do NOT work for, or get discounts from ANY metal Detector manufacturer - including Tesoro. If you want to join The "Hobbit," in slander and misinformation, I'll let you. Prove what you are saying or Shut-The-Flavor-Of-The-Week-Up! You guys are pathetic. You can't win a debate with facts so you just start attacking people personally. Time to put some pants on and get back out here in the real world fellas!

Lol you just make stuff up as you go, dont you. I owned the Sand Shark for 3 months, and put about 100 hours on it, I sold it and have no idea how much the guy that bought it found, he sold it a few months after buying from me... I've found more gold/silver with the Infinium, that I did with the Sand Shark... plus, I owned the Sand Shark during the summer which is a much easier time to find gold around here.

It's obvious that you get paid by Tesoro, or at least get good discounts, to talk up their products. I love my Tejon, but the Sand Shark is mediocre. I'd go as far as saying it's the worst PI on the market... but what can you expect from a 20 year old machine...

PS. I wouldn't have sold it, if it was the amazing machine you say it is. When I did testing on the beach and found that it barely gets 6 inches on a 2 gram gold ring, it was time to move on... my Infinium gets 6+ inches on a .5 gram ring in the sand.

Last edited:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Known As Nameless. Kinda says it all. Anyway, I am just going to say once, that I do NOT work for, or get discounts from ANY metal Detector manufacturer - including Tesoro. If you want to join The "Hobbit," in slander and misinformation, I'll let you. Prove what you are saying or Shut-The-Flavor-Of-The-Week-Up! You guys are pathetic. You can't win a debate with facts so you just start attacking people personally. Time to put some pants on and get back out here in the real world fellas!

I just say you must get paid by Tesoro, because even though other machines are obviously better, you continue to claim the Sand Shark is the best thing since sliced bread. Who the hell designs a PI and doesn't put the most important control on it (pulse delay). You want to run with the lowest possible pulse delay that the ground conditions allow, to have the highest sensitivity to small items, and the greatest depth. Fixed pulse delay, and a slow one at that, is just screwing yourself. There is a reason that every other PI has a Pulse Delay control........

I'm not Tesoro bashing, like I said, I love my Tejon. It's just that for whatever reason you choose to stick with a mediocre PI instead of upgrading...and that's fine, but stop coming on the forums claiming it can hold a candle to the real PIs, cause it cant.

Now I know why you got banned from Findmall, you're a walking Tesoro advertizement...

PS. Hopefully this little machine testing meet up thing you are doing soon opens your eyes to the capabilities (or lack of) of you machine. So we dont have to listen to you spewing BS all over every forum anymore...

Last edited:

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
So then your answer to my question, "Do you own an Infinium?," would be "no?" Do you even know how to type without attacking someone or insulting them? My kids used to get time outs for their tantrums. I am disappointed that you ran out of facts and resorted to personal attacks. You took away your own credibility. I'm done responding to you. It is a giant waste of my time.

First of all, I am glad you are through responding to me. You are hiliarious, though. You accuse others of "misinformation" and "slander"...but you have been doing nothing but bashing and slandering White's and other manufacturers since the beginning of this thread...pulse delay is a myth started by White's...White's puts "lipstick on a pig" every year...you belittled the TDI and its discrimination, when I made the statement that the Infinium is a fine machine, your response was: "OMG! The Infinium is a "fine" machine? Do YOU own one? LOL!!!!"...

This is YOU talking...

I never called your buddy a liar... I simply suggested that he was not finding thin gold chains without large charms at "an average of 12 inches" with a Sand Shark. Not if they were real gold...if they were silver, gold washed chains, "fake" gold, maybe...that's a whole nother ball game. Everyone knows that cheap jewelery is much easier to detect than real gold ( 14k +). I made the statement in a response to AKA who had made a simple and scientific observation while field testing his Infinium and manipulating his "mythical" pulse delay control. "Dew" then suggested that he was a more accomplished detectorist than myself and would "teach me" how to do it...I have logged many hours on a Sand Shark and I know what they can do. I also know what they can't do. Science is repeatable. As such, it is necessarily factual. Anecdotal evidence is not. Remember, if you find a gold chain at 1 inch, you'd have to eventually follow it up with a find at 23 inches in order to keep that 12 inch average...guess what...It aint happening...especially since most of the chains you find will necessarily be shallow because everyone knows that a metal detector sees each individual link in the chain and not the "chain as a whole". This is basic stuff. It is, quite ironically, why the Tesoro Tiger Shark and old Stingray's are still popular. They really are very sensitive to small "real" gold chains...

You accuse others of "slander and misinformation" but you are a fount of both and have yet to back up any of your contentions except through anecdotal evidence and posturing. I have simply suggested that people take the "blasphemous" step of actually testing the machines in question...simply and scientifically using the method suggested by the most reknowned authority on pulse induction technology extant. You obviously don't like this idea. As a matter of fact, you have basically stated that he is all wet, because, after all, "pulse delay is a myth started by White's because the Sand Shark is eating the Dual Field for lunch in sales". Eric Foster can't possibly know what he is talking about because he was designing machines with adjustable pulse delay's long before White's ever dreamed of introducing the Dual Field. The Dual Field was not introduced until late 2008. It has not even been in production for 4 years. And to make your ludicrious argument even more laughable is the fact that for one of those years you could not buy a Tesoro Sand Shark if you wanted one...because Tesoro couldn't solve their waterproof coil connector problem. That's why the current Tesoro water machine coils are now hard-wired...

As far as owning an Infinum...I do not. I have used one, though, and I know several people who own them and use them on a regular basis. I can guarantee you that not one of these guys would dream of trading his Infinium for a Sand Shark. This is the same Infinium of which you said:
"OMG! The Infinium is a "fine" machine? Do YOU own one? LOL!!!!"

And you accuse others of baseless bashing? Who is destroying thier own credibility? I will gladly let others be the judge of that. I don't post a lot on these forums...the bombast that I read on this one raised my ire...if I have prodded one potential hobbiest into actually testing and comparing the choices available and not listening to biased "brand- fans", then I have succeded. It is truly all that I desired.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply suggested that he was not finding thin gold chains without large charms at "an average of 12 inches" with a Sand Shark. Not if they were real gold...if they were silver, gold washed chains, "fake" gold, maybe...that's a whole nother ball game.

And your suggestion was ignorant at best.

"Dew" then suggested that he was a more accomplished detectorist than myself and would "teach me" how to do it...I have logged many hours on a Sand Shark and I know what they can do. I also know what they can't do. Science is repeatable. Anecdotal evidence is not.

"Dew" suggested no such thing. You've misquoted me (amongst others) often. Nothing anecdotal about it.

I wouldn't expect my Grandma to be capable of using the Infinium. She would do just fine with the Sand Shark, however.

I'd be willing to wager Grandma would out produce you 80% of the time. Being generous with the 20% ... Even a blind squirrel can get an occasional nut. :D

Hunting the most whored out beaches here in Florida, I have yet to encounter a single individual swinging an Infinium. Minelab, Tesoro, Fisher, a very occasional whites, and a rare aqua. Not saying it's inferior -- just stating hunters in our area know what works best, with our conditions. (Yes Ron, I know you swing one, but your not in our area, lol).

Feel free to "have the last word". The thread has ventured way off course anyway. I've no need to defend myself and or the products I use. Proof is in the pudding, and the offer i've made to you still stands. Door's open, look a brother up when in the area.

Happy Hunting!

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I realize this thread is boring to most, but I just couldn't resist leaving the world of "opinion" and "testimony" and putting some of the statements made here to the test. I am very busy right now, but in the coming days/ weeks I will put together a video test that will disprove some of the claims made by members of this forum as regards the detection depth of certain PI detectors. This test will be rigorously done so that no claims of "foul play" can be hurled...at least not realistic ones. Some members will not like what they see and hear. Some will conjure every excuse in the book to explain why the test is "invalid". No matter. Objective viewers will find it very informative. I will only test the four "hobby" pulse induction detectors I currently own: the White's Dual Field, Detectorpro Headhunter Pulse, Tesoro Sand Shark and the White's PI 1000. The test will be conducted as per the advice of Eric Foster. Almost everyone familiar with PI detectors will agree that he is the formost authority in the field. I have already conducted some initial tests and they are stunning. A sample: The Tesoro Sand Shark with an 8 inch coil will not detect a 14kt .3g yellow gold earring no matter what you do with it. No amount of control manipulation makes any difference. You can scrape the earring across the detector coil...nothing...absolutely no response. It is as if the earring does not exist. Even more stunning: on a 4g 14kt yellow gold ring, the detection range of the Sand Shark was exceeded by at least 50% by those of the HHPI and the Dual Field. The detection range of the Sand Shark on this object was matched, possibly even exceeded ( it is very close ) by the ancient PI 1000!!! You can hurl whatever insults you like my way: The proof really is in the pudding. And the pudding is sweet. It will be even sweeter when the video is posted and the excuses start rolling in...

Last edited:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Terry... the DF coil is 12 inches not 10...

You have about a year under your belt beachhunting...honestly you can't get a accurate depth when digging in the wet... when we dig in the wet sand or water and don't scoop the target up on the first or second scoop the suction created when pulling the scoop out can drive the target deeper...there is no way to acurately give a real depth so its irrelevant posting numbers...

I'm not one to beat around the bush Terry... after the exchanges here in this thread I cannot see you doing a fair test of those machines you mentioned earlier as your mind is already made up on what is the deepest machine on the beach... have fun in LI at the dog and pony show...

I think about it all the time Craig, and crack up. The 10" Dual Field and the 8" Sand Shark are fairly equal machines. We simply must agree to disagree on this point. At our level, with the experience we have, both of us could out hunt the troll and his friend with Garrett Ace 350's! You and I both know the Pulse Delay is set on the Sand Shark at the best all-around timing, and that the power to the coil has been tuned to work in concert with that timing to find 14K targets as small as an earring stud, and shoot as deep as 20". I take a lot of grief because I NEVER deviate from my fight to stop senseless Tesoro Bashing - and that is exactly what it is. I don't attack other brands, I make my point. Just because we doubt something, that does not mean it isn't factual. You and I can disagree, I'm down with that. But I'm not down with the personal attacks others are typing in this thread.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have about a year under your belt beachhunting...honestly you can't get a accurate depth when digging in the wet... when we dig in the wet sand or water and don't scoop the target up on the first or second scoop the suction created when pulling the scoop out can drive the target deeper...there is no way to acurately give a real depth so its irrelevant posting numbers...

I'm not one to beat around the bush Terry... after the exchanges here in this thread I cannot see you doing a fair test of those machines you mentioned earlier as your mind is already made up on what is the deepest machine on the beach... have fun in LI at the dog and pony show...

When ever I do a depth test I always take a yard stick or ruler and I always do it in the saturated sand. One thing I learned very early on, the holes we dig certainly appear to be much deeper then they really are. "20" is an extremely deep hole and in the saturated saltwater sand it's very unlikely, (almost a sure bet), that any of the machines mentioned could even see a tiny gold earring clip. Fellas....20 inches is really DEEP, even without the the salt and water.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have absolutely NO PI experience, but i agree with Craig about measuring depth out there or in the oat meal. I bury my 11" scoop everytime to ensure i get under the target and they still get away..... doesnt mean every target is 11" deep. There are times when a target doesnt move that i can tell i just didnt get it.... now thats deep. A lot has to do with finding the right machine for you. I mean there is no doubt DewGuru produces the finds.... he posts them for all to see. But i know a guy that uses an Xcal that just impresses me everytime i hunt with him.... much better than i am and he seems to be able to get those targets others miss. Would he be that good with another machine.... maybe. There are others who couldnt find a piece of gold if you put it there for them. They just dont know what they are looking for especially people with years of dirt hunting. Then there is the area you hunt..... we all know that comes into play and how the beach moves. I hate tests.... they never really are very accurate without having different people with real skills on each machine. Planned use and how its put together by the designer makes a huge difference as well. The Explorer/Etrac is a killer silver machine.... but not the best for everything when a comparison is done. I think there will always be debates over different detectors.... count yourself lucky if your detect is one always being compared to.

Dew

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OK Craig, let's start by saying that beach detecting is probably the easiest physically and mentally of any type of metal detecting. Anyone, from a five-year-old, to a 90-year-old can do it - successfully. There is no research needed, no kneepads, no pinpointers, no picks or shovels - just a machine and a sandscoop. You do not have to be smart, or even "nice" to beach metal detect. It is simply about location.

So what do the blowhards try and do to make their selves relevant in this hobby? Mine is better than yours. I use a 15” coil so I can cover more beach. I use discrimination so I don’t waste valuable time on junk targets. Should I go on? It's all bovine waste.

Why do all the haters keep saying “Well, Eric Foster says..” Hey, what do YOU say? I get out there and USE the equipment. I don’t let companies (yes, Eric is a Company) tell me the facts. I write press releases for a living so I know 90-percent of newbies ARE looking for someone to tell them what to do, say, buy, eat… I’m not one of them.

If you are happy with your machine – God Bless! Just stop telling people mine is a piece of garbage that can’t possibly do what I say it can. I’m not so much pro-Tesoro Sand Shark, as I am anti-Tesoro bashing.

I am a lonely voice most of the time because the largest segment of dealers and sponsors on forums are married to Whites, a great American metal detector Company. Why? Because they make a LOT more COMMISSION (profit) selling individual Whites machines, than they can selling Tesoro where the sale price is FIXED. Follow the money.

I know some of you have nothing else to make you feel good about yourself other than your superior knowledge of metal detecting and equipment, and that I am upsetting the apple cart for you. Oh well. Maybe you should get out and enjoy a few more "Dog and Pony Shows." It is so sad to me, that without knowing what "new equipment" we will be testing Craig, you are already sure it won't be a "fair" test. You don't even know WHAT we are testing! My mind remains open. Show me and I'll watch. Offer to teach, and I'll listen. Call me a liar and an idiot, and I will simply walk away and let you continue to live in the world you have built for yourself.

OK, I'm going detecting.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Craig, let's start by saying that beach detecting is probably the easiest physically and mentally of any type of metal detecting. Anyone, from a five-year-old, to a 90-year-old can do it - successfully. There is no research needed, no kneepads, no pinpointers, no picks or shovels - just a machine and a sandscoop. You do not have to be smart, or even "nice" to beach metal detect. It is simply about location.

So what do the blowhards try and do to make their selves relevant in this hobby? Mine is better than yours. I use a 15” coil so I can cover more beach. I use discrimination so I don’t waste valuable time on junk targets. Should I go on? It's all bovine waste.

Why do all the haters keep saying “Well, Eric Foster says..” Hey, what do YOU say? I get out there and USE the equipment. I don’t let companies (yes, Eric is a Company) tell me the facts. I write press releases for a living so I know 90-percent of newbies ARE looking for someone to tell them what to do, say, buy, eat… I’m not one of them.

If you are happy with your machine – God Bless! Just stop telling people mine is a piece of garbage that can’t possibly do what I say it can. I’m not so much pro-Tesoro Sand Shark, as I am anti-Tesoro bashing.

I am a lonely voice most of the time because the largest segment of dealers and sponsors on forums are married to Whites, a great American metal detector Company. Why? Because they make a LOT more COMMISSION (profit) selling individual Whites machines, than they can selling Tesoro where the sale price is FIXED. Follow the money.

I know some of you have nothing else to make you feel good about yourself other than your superior knowledge of metal detecting and equipment, and that I am upsetting the apple cart for you. Oh well. Maybe you should get out and enjoy a few more "Dog and Pony Shows." It is so sad to me, that without knowing what "new equipment" we will be testing Craig, you are already sure it won't be a "fair" test. You don't even know WHAT we are testing! My mind remains open. Show me and I'll watch. Offer to teach, and I'll listen. Call me a liar and an idiot, and I will simply walk away and let you continue to live in the world you have built for yourself.

OK, I'm going detecting.

WOW! :laughing7: I think you just managed to attack and insult the intelligence of every beach hunter who's ever been out there. Strange, to say the least, since it was the ground breaking works involving some really smart men who utilized the effects of salt water/mineralized beaches to design a great deal of the advanced technologies in the very machines you use. Truth is, if you can effectively hunt salt/mineralized beaches then you can effectively hunt anywhere. Not true the other way around....which is why salt/mineralized beaches have played such an important role in advancing detector technology. Just saying...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Terry Soloman

I know some of you have nothing else to make you feel good about yourself other than your superior knowledge of metal detecting and equipment, and that I am upsetting the apple cart for you. Oh well. Maybe you should get out and enjoy a few more "Dog and Pony Shows." It is so sad to me, that without knowing what "new equipment" we will be testing Craig, you are already sure it won't be a "fair" test. You don't even know WHAT we are testing! My mind remains open. Show me and I'll watch. Offer to teach, and I'll listen. Call me a liar and an idiot, and I will simply walk away and let you continue to live in the world you have built for yourself.>>

BigScoop replies: "WOW!
laughing7.gif
I think you just managed to attack and insult the intelligence of every beach hunter who's ever been out there. Strange, to say the least, since it was the ground breaking works involving some really smart men who utilized the effects of salt water/mineralized beaches to design a great deal of the advanced technologies in the very machines you use. Truth is, if you can effectively hunt salt/mineralized beaches then you can effectively hunt anywhere. Not true the other way around....which is why salt/mineralized beaches have played such an important role in advancing detector technology. Just saying..."

Sorry you feel that way. No one is talking about the science of our hobby - we don't have to. Technology is so advanced these days, you don't have to do anything but turn on your machine and go. Just because you can stroll up and down a beach, or get in the water to your waist or chest, does not mean you can detect "anywhere." Dirt digging is much more physically demanding, and nuggetshooting is even tougher. What part of what I say is not true?

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector I use, no matter the brand, is always going to be better than yours. I paid kilobucks for it and can't fathom the idea that it's not worth it. I run into this way of thinking in another hobby I am active in. Speaking of hobby, that's what MD'ing is. No one is going to live or die by what is said in these forums. Let's just go out and have fun. I enjoy reading everyone's posts in hope that I can learn something that will help me. BTW, if my detector was far superior to everyone else's do you think I'd want to advertise it? No way; I want the finds for myself! :thumbsup:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Wow... interesting response Terry... there you go again saying someone is attacking your brand of detector...

Now onto the main course which is water and wet sand hunting... A successful hunter has some knowledge of being able to read a beach.. they don't go to the beach hoping to find gold they expect to find gold even if they don't. That is how I think...

I hunt Connecticut where are swim season is a short season and if we get a 100 people in the water where I hunt the beach is loaded... I do not hunt in Florida where there are loads of people on the beaches losing items or where you hunt where on any given day thousands of people are on beaches on Long Island...

It takes a skilled hunter to bring home the gold on a regular basis anywhere...

I hunt mainly beaches looking for old drops 95% or maybe more of all my finds were lost many years ago... I found these spots through research which you obviously neither want to learn about or know about..

There are hundreds if not thousands of hunters out there who aren't using and they are finding a lot of gold me included... I have hundreds of gold rings under my belt from hunting with my inferior detector I think I will keep it...

You keep meandering around hoping to score gold now and then if that makes you happy but I'll do my hunting through research and know how to read a beach and where to hunt on it. Enjoy your hunt....

As to your advice giving? Its flawed... I'll give you an example... on another site a newbie signed on and asked what detector would be good for Atlantic City beaches which most know are iron infested and what did you recommend? you told the newbie to buy a VLF for the dry and a PI for wet.. I told the new member to look at an Excalibur or GT if he wasn't going to venture into the water... just because you don't mind wasting hours digging iron doesn't mean should have to.

OK, I'm going detecting.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Terry Soloman

I know some of you have nothing else to make you feel good about yourself other than your superior knowledge of metal detecting and equipment, and that I am upsetting the apple cart for you. Oh well. Maybe you should get out and enjoy a few more "Dog and Pony Shows." It is so sad to me, that without knowing what "new equipment" we will be testing Craig, you are already sure it won't be a "fair" test. You don't even know WHAT we are testing! My mind remains open. Show me and I'll watch. Offer to teach, and I'll listen. Call me a liar and an idiot, and I will simply walk away and let you continue to live in the world you have built for yourself.>>

BigScoop replies: "WOW!
laughing7.gif
I think you just managed to attack and insult the intelligence of every beach hunter who's ever been out there. Strange, to say the least, since it was the ground breaking works involving some really smart men who utilized the effects of salt water/mineralized beaches to design a great deal of the advanced technologies in the very machines you use. Truth is, if you can effectively hunt salt/mineralized beaches then you can effectively hunt anywhere. Not true the other way around....which is why salt/mineralized beaches have played such an important role in advancing detector technology. Just saying..."

Sorry you feel that way. No one is talking about the science of our hobby - we don't have to. Technology is so advanced these days, you don't have to do anything but turn on your machine and go. Just because you can stroll up and down a beach, or get in the water to your waist or chest, does not mean you can detect "anywhere." Dirt digging is much more physically demanding, and nuggetshooting is even tougher. What part of what I say is not true?

Terry, you need to get out more. :laughing7: I've spent most of my life backpacking, kayaking, etc. etc. etc, ........a lot of this with MD in tow. Obviously you've never surf detected all day on the east coast.......I mean, that is, "very obvious". But whatever you need to believe.....:thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, you guys win. I don't know what I'm talking about, I have never hunted in the surf, or been backpacking - never even had sex. Will we be seeing any of you on Tuesday?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuesday works for me! Was going to the beach anyway. Bring your best beach setups and all of that all day endurance. I'll provide the fluids and snacks. I'll be there at 7am, meet you at 27th street! :thumbsup: :laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say that this topic has definitely gotten off topic from what I had hoped for in replies. However, that being said, I have learned a lot since the topic has strayed. The name-calling and bashing of each other's equipment is a little stale at this point, but honestly I knew it would happen. If I told everyone I was a RedSox fan I'd have a bunch of Yankees fans telling me how awful my choice in team is. No different than what's going on here right now. What I wanted to know when I asked the question was what your opinion was of the machines you use...NOT THE OPINION OF THE MACHINES SOMEONE USES.

Hobbit, I hope you are putting together a video of the four machines you talked about. I'd love to see the HH Pulse, Sand Shark and Dual Field stacked up against each other in a well put together test. At least it will show some typical results you get in your area. I'll take that video evidence into consideration when purchasing my next machine.

Thanks for all the help you've ALL provided, but the bashing is a bit out of control. Hope to see everyone getting along soon.

-Nate

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I gotta say that this topic has definitely gotten off topic from what I had hoped for in replies. However, that being said, I have learned a lot since the topic has strayed. The name-calling and bashing of each other's equipment is a little stale at this point, but honestly I knew it would happen. If I told everyone I was a RedSox fan I'd have a bunch of Yankees fans telling me how awful my choice in team is. No different than what's going on here right now. What I wanted to know when I asked the question was what your opinion was of the machines you use...NOT THE OPINION OF THE MACHINES SOMEONE USES.

Hobbit, I hope you are putting together a video of the four machines you talked about. I'd love to see the HH Pulse, Sand Shark and Dual Field stacked up against each other in a well put together test. At least it will show some typical results you get in your area. I'll take that video evidence into consideration when purchasing my next machine.

Thanks for all the help you've ALL provided, but the bashing is a bit out of control. Hope to see everyone getting along soon.

-Nate

No problem, Nate. I will have it for you, hopefully within a few days...it will be worth waiting for, I guarantee...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread