Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 71
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is the Sand Shark really this insensitive to small gold?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Dec 2007
    71
    9 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I owned a SS for a short period of time and sold it due to the fact I almost drowned detecting with it. I did however find earring studs with it, not very deep maybe an inch to 3 and this was in fresh water. The response was very tiny and narrow similar to a double beep on a bobby pin. I was a newbie with it and dug everything. It nabbed many tiny pieces of foil so I see no reason why it wouldn't hit the fine gold, but depth I'm sure would be very weak, expecting in the 1-3" range.
    hobbit likes this.

  2. #17
    us
    Nov 2007
    So Gulf Coast, FL
    Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
    461
    45 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Hobbit,
    I am glad you made this post and i am looking forward to "real" reply's from other users that have not, shall we say, brainwashed themselves. We know one Sand Shark user that has found cat collars in China with the collars still on the cats. I am looking forward to hearing from other Sand Shark users in real conditions.
    Last edited by Can Slaw; May 01, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
    bigscoop and hobbit like this.

  3. #18
    us
    Apr 2007
    staten island, ny
    tesoro sand shark, tesoro tiger shark, tesoro cibola, goldbug se
    53
    5 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don’t talk about tests - real life experience is what I can tell you about. i’ve found 3 rings & 1 earing under 1 gm - all .9 or .8 gm - never anything smaller.
    Those who claim that they found them weighing .3 gm with the shark in salt water - I doubt it. Why I say I doubt it is simple - in the water you use a scoop - most nobody uses a scoop in the water that would keep something that small in it.
    As for trying to find .3gm gold in the water - not what I am looking for. I hope never have to resort to 3gm gold in the water unless I’m nugget hunting in a shallow stream!
    Now an important distinction - the 4 pieces of gold that I found that were under 1 gm were all from 3 - 6" deep. They were rings & earnings & they sounded off loud & clear.
    As for ultimate depth on targets I’ve scooped with the shark - DEEP

  4. #19
    us
    Nov 2007
    So Gulf Coast, FL
    Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
    461
    45 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I got curious if my PI would pass the test you tried on your SS. Did the same test you did on the SS with my Sea Hunter Mk II. It was in the backyard, not on an open beach and I do have some electrical interference. I took a thin 3 gram 14k hoop earring and the Sea Hunter also would not hit it no matter what setting I used. I thought that was strange that it wouldn't sound off as the Sea Hunter I thought was pretty sensitive. Now I wish I could remember which detector found that earring...I think it was the GT.

  5. #20
    us
    Aug 2011
    Largo, Florida
    sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
    296
    454 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    2.76 grams of 18K today one full scoop deep. Works for me.
    DC

    hamiddetecting likes this.

  6. #21
    us
    Sep 2010
    294
    4 times
    You guys haven't even mentioned canceling out on a target. I have a Safari with a stock coil. Went over the same are(in a field) that another guy pulled a Heraldic Eagle button. I wasn't watching my meter, just relying on sound and that's where I think I missed it. It was less than 3 inches deep and I was pulling signals from 16 inches easily. Try an 8 inch coil or smaller if you can find one. They are a lot more sensitive to the smaller signals(which reminds me that I need to try and convince my wife to let me buy a smaller coil)

  7. #22
    us
    Oct 2010
    250
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DewGuru View Post

    I am shocked, Mr. Guru !!! To stoop to the level of name calling!!! I mean, I know the following quotes must have hurt:

    "The only thing you need to be a successful beach hunter is lots of money for equipment and a beach.”
    “You mean, a Five-year-old can't successfully beep a beach? Seriously. Now getting IN the water (past your knees) is a different animal, yes it is harder physically here on the East Coast Atlantic beaches, but on Long Island Sound or in parts the Gulf it is a piece of cake, more or less like being in a lake. Reading the beach? Takes about one-minute to learn for anyone with a high school diploma.”
    “Metal detecting has become so easy with the new machines and technology these days that any moron can do it. I was so surprised when I decided to get into beach detecting. As a nuggetshooter, it is like going on vacation to a spa. No bending down on one knee, no ground adjustments every 10-minutes, no cactus, no rocks, caliche, dust, kneepads... It is a day at the beach! “
    “Research - not your machine.. Location - not your machine. If I have a better location to detect with a Garrett Ace 250, than you do with your Tesoro Sand Shark, Guess who will find more.. “
    “Beach detecting is easy compared to dirt detecting”
    “let's start by saying that beach detecting is probably the easiest physically and mentally of any type of metal detecting. Anyone, from a five-year-old, to a 90-year-old can do it - successfully. There is no research needed, no kneepads, no pinpointers, no picks or shovels - just a machine and a sandscoop. You do not have to be smart, or even "nice" to beach metal detect. It is simply about location.”

    That quotes like these must offended you is obvious. They offend me!!! It is clear how proud you are of your success in this endeavor. But to call someone a troll !!! EGADS, man. Consider his mental state !!!… What sort of man makes outrageous claims about his abilities and the abilities of his equipment?…claims that are counter to the testimony of every expert in the field?…claims that he refuses to prove except through the occasional photograph of an object which could have come from anywhere?…That there is a deep NEED for acceptance and approbation by a person like this is obvious. Maybe it stems from a deep seated inferiority complex… Maybe it is a manifestation of a serious lack of self-esteem… Perhaps it is over compensation for flagging manhood…but can’t you show the poor fellow a little compassion?
    Last edited by hobbit; May 01, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

  8. #23
    us
    Oct 2010
    250
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dc426 View Post
    2.76 grams of 18K today one full scoop deep. Works for me.
    DC

    Nice finds, DC. The Sand Shark will get gold in the 2.7 g range at decent depths for sure. Congrats...nice day.

  9. #24
    Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

    May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    5,973
    3280 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    ...I am just hoping that some real, honest Sand Shark users will take out their machines, take a .3g gold earring, try to detect it, and tell me what they find.

    I would really like to hear some constructive answers to this post. Please don't try to hijack it, Mr. Solomon. Everyone is aware that you claim to be able to detect .5g pieces of gold at 20 inches with the Sand Shark. I would love to see a video of you actually doing it. Care to make it?
    Someone, ANYONE find a post where I said ANY of what Hobbit posted here. I think it is sad that you can't just state your opinion without typing falsehoods and slandering folks you do not agree with. Quote This: The Tesoro Sand Shark, performs as well as ANY other pulse induction unit priced $1,200.00 or less. It is the ONLY pulse induction unit costing $600.00 or less that can make that claim. It is also the ONLY pulse induction detector gaurranteed for life..

    What's the difference between a hobbit and a troll?

  10. #25

    Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    1,401
    526 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    For me ive just got to get out and hunt with some of the better PI hunters in my area. I know the Xcal hits on small ear studs and im one of those odd balls that use 1/4 inch holes on my scoop. You might be right..... cant tell you how many hunters have told me skip the tiny stuff and cover as much beach as you can finding the larger targets. But the search for a detector that picks up some of those gold chains at even a reasonable depth would sure be worth the money.

    Dew
    hobbit likes this.

  11. #26
    us
    Oct 2010
    250
    58 times
    I have never owned a Sea Hunter. I used one on a dive once, but I really don't know what their pulse delay is. The gentleman from Australia who posted previously has got me thinking of looking into one. I know they are built really solidly and are relatively inexpensive. I never really thought of them as being a top flight shallow water unit, but this Aussie seems to know his stuff. Interesting point about EMI. One of the best beaches in my area... one of the top resort beaches on the entire east coast...has terrible EMI in parts. There are lots of communications towers and such around. It gets really bad so that I have to tune both my HHPI and Dual Field way down. My point is EMI can be bad even on the beach. What Eric Foster and others say about air testing PI's is that the coil needs to be horizontal and near the ground. They recommend placing the coil on a 1 inch piece of wood placed on the ground and passing the sample target over the top of the coil. I am sure your GT would be all over that earring, though I have honestly never used a GT...

  12. #27
    Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8,278
    2686 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    For me ive just got to get out and hunt with some of the better PI hunters in my area. I know the Xcal hits on small ear studs and im one of those odd balls that use 1/4 inch holes on my scoop. You might be right..... cant tell you how many hunters have told me skip the tiny stuff and cover as much beach as you can finding the larger targets. But the search for a detector that picks up some of those gold chains at even a reasonable depth would sure be worth the money.

    Dew
    I'm not a PI user, but am possibly interested so I'm keeping an eye on this thread. One thing that has held me back as far as PI's and the small gold chains and such, so far this year I've not found any with the Excal on the beaches that I hunt.....so it just makes me wonder if there's enough small gold out there to be worth it? As much as I've used the Excal you would think I'd run across one every now and then...but so far...."Zip!" I have gotten a couple of tiny gold earrings but not sure all the extra fumbling around in that process is worth it? I mean, when was the last time someone posted a good haul of tiny gold pieces? I don't know that I've ever seen a really good pile/collection of this smaller jewelry stuff.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

  13. #28
    us
    Oct 2010
    250
    58 times
    This is a "copy and paste" from a previous post on another thread: " You and I both know the Pulse Delay is set on the Sand Shark at the best all-around timing, and that the power to the coil has been tuned to work in concert with that timing to find 14K targets as small as an earring stud, and shoot as deep as 20"... This sounds almost like a press release from the Tesoro factory. I am not going to get into a Pee-Peeing contest with your Mr. Soloman. I can tell from your conversations with others that talking to you is like talking to a brick wall...a very LOUD, brick wall, but a brick wall nonetheless. I have better things to do with my time...

  14. #29
    Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

    May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    5,973
    3280 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    This is a "copy and paste" from a previous post on another thread: " You and I both know the Pulse Delay is set on the Sand Shark at the best all-around timing, and that the power to the coil has been tuned to work in concert with that timing to find 14K targets as small as an earring stud, and shoot as deep as 20"... This sounds almost like a press release from the Tesoro factory. I am not going to get into a Pee-Peeing contest with your Mr. Soloman. I can tell from your conversations with others that talking to you is like talking to a brick wall...a very LOUD, brick wall, but a brick wall nonetheless. I have better things to do with my time...
    Nice try. Dude, you are done in my book. You don't care what the facts are. Does your Mom even know you are on her computer?


    Originally Posted by hobbit
    ...I am just hoping that some real, honest Sand Shark users will take out their machines, take a .3g gold earring, try to detect it, and tell me what they find.

    I would really like to hear some constructive answers to this post. Please don't try to hijack it, Mr. Solomon. Everyone is aware that you claim to be able to detect .5g pieces of gold at 20 inches with the Sand Shark. I would love to see a video of you actually doing it. Care to make it?"




    Someone, ANYONE find a post where I said ANY of what Hobbit posted here. I think it is sad that you can't just state your opinion without typing falsehoods and slandering folks you do not agree with. Quote This: The Tesoro Sand Shark, performs as well as ANY other pulse induction unit priced $1,200.00 or less. It is the ONLY pulse induction unit costing $600.00 or less that can make that claim. It is also the ONLY pulse induction detector gaurranteed for life..

    What's the difference between a hobbit and a troll?

  15. #30
    us
    Oct 2010
    250
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    I'm not a PI user, but am possibly interested so I'm keeping an eye on this thread. One thing that has held me back as far as PI's and the small gold chains and such, so far this year I've not found any with the Excal on the beaches that I hunt.....so it just makes me wonder if there's enough small gold out there to be worth it? As much as I've used the Excal you would think I'd run across one every now and then...but so far...."Zip!" I have gotten a couple of tiny gold earrings but not sure all the extra fumbling around in that process is worth it? I mean, when was the last time someone posted a good haul of tiny gold pieces? I don't know that I've ever seen a really good pile/collection of this smaller jewelry stuff.
    Some years ago I became kind of "obsessed" with my inability to find gold chains at any depth...I would hit one occasionally...very occasionally, but it almost always was associated with other targets or was a chain with a very big clasp or a locket, charm, etc. If you look at people anywhere you will see them wearing chains...and if you watch people running and roughhousing on the beach, you know the chains just have to be there. I have actually lost chains myself, for god's sake. Clasps fail. The problem is that the links of the chain just do not "add-up", not to a metal detector, anyway. It is like taking a vial of very fine placer gold...even a fairly heavy vial, say 7 grams and trying to detect it...you will get nothing...not even with a super sensitve VLF. The individual particles of gold don't add up either, not to a metal detector. If the detector can't detect the heaviest link in the chain, it is not going to detect the chain. That is just the way it is...and a .3 g 14kt link of gold chain is a fairly heavy chain link. Think about it...94 links of such a chain would equal an ounce of 14 kt gold. I actually ran into an old fellow once on the beach using a Goldmaster III. I thought he was crazy, but I got into a conversation with him and he was anything but. The Goldmaster III is a super sensitive dedicated gold prospecting machine...but it has IRON I.D. He just stayed in the dry and dug everything that didn't ID iron. If you have ever seen a detector like the GoldMaster III in action, you will know what I mean. They can find really small bits of gold. I mean really small bits of gold. So they will detect gold chains...and probably at very decent depths, depending on the beach. I will bet that one could maybe nail a fairly thick chain at approaching a foot. But if you use one, you are stuck firmly to the dry, because vlf's that operate at high frequency's can't stand salt water...not even a little bit. There are a couple of Tesoro machines that are supposedly good for chains too: the Tiger Shark and the old Stingray I and II. I had a Stingray I once. It was actually a vlf/tr machine. It was sensitive to pretty small gold, but got really poor depth in the wet...I personally just don't like detecting in the dry sand. I know there are chains in the wet...that is actually what got me aroused on the other thread concerning the Sand Shark...it goes back to the pulse delay for any PI...if the delay is really low, then the detector will react to the salt water and be unstable...but to detect really small chain links at any depth the delay HAS to be really low...so it really isn't possible for a PI to detect small chains deeply in the wet...at least not to any machine I know of...and certainly not to a Tesoro Sand Shark...

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sand Shark and small gold chains
    By dc426 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec 26, 2011, 06:43 PM
  2. Does Tesoro Sand Shark Find Gold?
    By Terry Soloman in forum Tesoro
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 03, 2011, 11:11 AM
  3. Tesoro Sand Shark and Tiger Shark ARE IN STOCK at Kellyco...
    By metdetdevl in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
  4. Tiger Shark vs. Sand Shark -- Opinion Needed
    By mark40h in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
  5. ? on the Tesoro Sand Shark Vs Tiger Shark on the Metal Detecting Reviews Forum
    By Treasure_Hunter in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec 20, 2006, 07:12 PM

Search tags for this page

big cob .3g

,

can a sand shark hurt you

,
metal detecting with the tesoro sand shark gold rings
,

name calling quotes

,

sand shark metal detector treasure hunter

,

sand shark underwater metal detector review

,
tesoro sand shark gold sensitivity
,

tesoro sand shark not very deep

,
tesoro sandshark gold chains
,
will the tesoro sand shark detect small gold chains?
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3