About tides

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a detector of any kind on a beach before, but I have been reading a lot of beach threads -- most of them from the East Coast and Florida. But it seems that some of the best finds come during low tides, which I assume potentially expose targets that are usually covered and possibly older, and where tidal and rip scouring have exposed older sands.
Is this true? Is there a good basic treatise on sorting out the tide thing and beach hunting?
I don't have a waterproof machine, but am thinking an Xterra 705 and waterproof HF DD coil might be of some use in this.
By the way, the beaches here in Oregon are notorious for black sand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking salt water with a VLF machine you have a problem. They dont work on wet sand or in the water properly. Its about getting down to the hard pan where the heavy gold items settle. Sometimes that a good cut at the shore line and when tides are low you can get to some of the deeper areas where targets are lost or moved. If the sand is a foot deep moving under your feet you are more likely to find floaters...... surface or light targets. I hunted today earlier at about high tide.... couldnt get out very far .... i went back at low tide this evening and i could get to the front and back of the sand bar which is out further and found 2 rings on the front side.

Dew

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread