Upvote 0

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan: I have yet to hit the beaches, but plan on getting a Sand Shark and an RTG or Babb (Sandman) scoop. The Diamond Head looks just great, too, but folks have said it is a bit on the heavy side. Good luck in Galveston. Sure a lot of history down there.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and i wish you luck. For detecting on the beach you need All metal detector VLF and PI, so if have much budget: you buy all metal detectors else you buy Excalibur II the first and in soon years you buy PI. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What exactly is VLF and PI?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Vlf is very low frequency. Good on dry land and sand. Not usually good on wet sand. It can not ignore both black sand (magnetic sand) and salt at the same time. The Minelab excallibur and fisher CZ 6, CZ 6a being the exception to this rule. They will experience reduced depth in the wet sand however. In the salt water, the PI ( pulse induction) detectors rule. They get the best depth but do not have true descrimination. This means you dig all signals unlike a VLF detector which will tell you if an item is ferrous (iron) or nonferrous. The Minelab excallibur is a favorite on the beach with many detectorists because it will do great on the beach and good in the water while the PI does great in the water where there is less trash. The PI does great on dry land but you dig everything, including all iron. Builds muscles but gets tiresome. Some of the more popular PI machines are the Whites duel field, Tesoro SandShark, Garrett Seahunter mark two, Fisher CZ 20 and 21,and several others that are great PI machines. The question you have to answer is, is there little enough iron on my beach to hunt with a PI detector or do I give up enough depth with a VLF detector so I do not have to dig all that iron. Most of us have both types of detectors. VLF for the beach and PI for the water. I am sure there will be those of you who will disagree with me as to my way of thinking, but it would be nice to hear your opinions on this subject. I am only in my second year on the beach hunting scene, but have over twenty years in relic hunting. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Wow! Thank you! This I understand. I will get 2 detectors. A pi and a vlf

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us use the Garrett At Pro or SeaHunter Mark II in Galveston. There are a lot of beach scoops available, try to get something that is heavy duty, but not toom heavy to carry around.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
How do u like the AT pro? I was looking at the gti1500 at Kellyco. I want to get a pin pointer ad well i think

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At Pro is great, it is waterproof to 10 feet. So it can be used on land and the beach. The GTI 1500 is also a good machine, but I think you will find the depth and capabilities of the At Pro a good value for the money. A Pro Pointer is a must have, it reduces your recovery time dramatically!

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Some of the more popular PI machines are the Whites duel field, Tesoro SandShark, Garrett Seahunter mark two, Fisher CZ 20 and 21,and several others that are great PI machines. Qoute from Supply and Recovery

CZ 20 an CZ 21 are not PI machines they are VLF. All you need is one machine a Excalibur II or a CZ 21. You will just be wasting money if you get anthing else. The top two water machines.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the whites surf pro pi and like it alot, but you do have to dig everthing. I also have a V3 whites and its another great VLF machine.
I agree that the Excalibur II is the best all around machine.Good luck in makeing your choice, and happy hunting.:leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread