Epic fail today

Goldmoon

May 6, 2012
BC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Ironclad "Viking" Digger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to go out and do my first beach hunt, drove for an hour, it started pouring with thunder and lightning when I got there...

Got out and I guess a few drops of rain got into my control box, my Garrett ace 350 went haywire... Then the volume stopped working and now it won't even turn on...

Could this happen from just a few raindrops? I tried to cover it and get back to the car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry about that mishap, Golddmoon

I'm not sure about why that happened, but I do know that if it is just "drizzling" and the control box cover on my GT is open for less than a minute or so ( before I get to cover it ) I don't have any problem. I think it the rain is a "down pour" ..it's going to be a problem

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your batteries first.... You should always cover detector if your hunting saltwater beach as the salt mist in the air will ruin it.....

People think if they dont go in the water they are okay, but if there is any breeze at all there is salt blowing in the air and even with no breeze, if it is humid, it is salt humidity....

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If only takes one drop of water in the wrong place on a detector and it can short out. I have alway been a firm believer on control box covers during questionable weather and when stored on my detector rack.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good thing is Garrett is a good company and is very fair and pretty quick with repairs. Good Luck

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats sure right about the salt water..... clean them after every hunt. I even put a sticker over my speaker so moisture dont get in. Sounds like a battery issue to me. A good many times if its a little water and it dries up its ok.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread