tough day at the beach... Have any of you had this bad of a day?

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Went to Va. Beach last Monday. Planned on testing my Excalibur, Dual Field, and Sand Shark in the water against each other. I really wanted a head to head test of each detector in the water on a beach that i hunt. i had several gold rings and chains to test. i get to the beach, the surf is really rough. i first pull out the Whies Dual Field, get in tje surf, and within two minutes a rouge wave hits me, breaks the mounting bolt to the coil, and breaks one of the coil bolt mounts on the coil. BAD LUCK I THINK. Then I go back to my car get out the Sand Shark and ot will do nothing but false in the surf. My god, is everything going to breakdown in one day? Luckily Excalibur still works, and to think that is the one machine i had the least confidence in not breaking down. Go figure. Sorry i did not get to test what each machine was capable of on one of my beaches on that day, It would have been an interesting test to see how each reactied to certain targets in the ocean and not just in air. i did not find any gold that day with the Excaliber either as the beach was sanded in, but i was curious if any of you have had any more frustrating days than this. Anyway I got both detectors mailed back to the factory today.

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a scoop break once! i would not leave a detector in my car if i was you.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is gold.:laughing7: I wish you have great day next hunt.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You gave it your best shot, main thing is you were able to get out and enjoy. I've done a few test, it's really hard to get everything organized and setup to do a good test. I came to the conclusion that it takes serveral people for each phase of the test to make it happen and even then things can go aray. And doing one in the water is very hard, you just may lose a some treasure yourself.

Bottom line, no matter what detector you are using, Like my Buddy Hamiddecting said, "Detecting is Gold" :icon_thumright:...........

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough day. I have found it very hard to compare two detectors the same day in the surf. My favorite swimming hole will give me different reads on different days and sometimes the same day at different parts of the hole/beach. I've found in rough surf I should stay on the beach. I chase the target in the hole after every swell. It's just too variable with a strong swell. Mother ocean does not want to share on those days.:unhappysmiley:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had a few
this past sunday - drove 2 1/2 hrs to Cape
there were supposed to be great neg tides
checked into a hotel - got dressed and headed to the beach
winds were like 20-30 mph with stronger gusts
huge swells and actuall waves - (this place does not usually see waves)
tried to hit - got a worn nickel right off the bat
but as I tried to get out farther - I got bashed around
seaweed was thick as mollases and just could not swing
I'd be in waist deep water and have a swell or wave hit me over my head
found some slaw but took more than a few scoops to get even that
gave up - had no plan B
went back to hotel - got up next morning and drove back to see if
water was any better - nope
so cost of gas - cost of hotel - cost of food
got a nickel

I have had machine malfunction too like yours
broke my white pi shaft too - I converted a spare Fisher lower rod that day